Vacuum Leak

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
So it appears my car may have a vacuum leak. I recently installed a JLT CAI and a JLT oil separator. What's the best way to track down my leak? I had sent Bama my logs and the tuner said he sees I am running lean at idle but that clears up as RPM's build indicating a vacuum leak. I read that I can spray starter fluid or some other liquid around each connection and hear the idle raise up which means that is where the leak is at.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
Will it leave any residue? I was also thinking that maybe I could blow smoke over the possible areas with a cigar to see if it sucks in.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No it wont leave a residue it is quickly vaporizes. Carb choke cleaner is quick and easy and what I have always used, works great. Let the car idle and spray different areas and when the car idle stumbles you have found it.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
huh...no leaks...no stumbling and I sprayed all the vacuum hoses down...what would I look for on a log to see a vacuum leak?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Remove said parts and see if the problem still exists.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
huh...no leaks...no stumbling and I sprayed all the vacuum hoses down...what would I look for on a log to see a vacuum leak?

I have never been able to detect a leak with carb cleaner, etc... even when I create a large leak and try to test the method.

Vac leaks are shitty to track down, usually you just have to go over everything and check each connection. There aren't that many. And in this case you're probably just checking your CAI and your separator hoses - not pulling the intake manifold.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back