Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vue

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on attending the five star ford track day this nov. 17 in my 2006 saleen mustang. Wouldnt mind a ride in the red stang to see what the correct line of the track is.

also was looking into purchasing a set of your caster camber plates for the track day

Last edited:

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
Any exhaust that dumps under the car will be deafening to the driver on long track visits. It depends on the drivers hearing, but it's still going to be extremely loud inside the car. A few pounds in rear pipes aren't enough to warrant the added fatigue from the noise. I may be more sensitive than some, but it's not worth it IMHO.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I'm with you on this one. My exhaust setup is LOUD under race conditions (1-3/4" long tubes, offroad H, Magnaflow resonators, FR500S mufflers), on the threshold of being too loud on longer runs. It IS handy, however, to use the reflected sound when making a pass to know when you're clear if the other car is in your blind spot...

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The added interior noise ON THIS CAR is insignificant when compared to all the rest of the noise the engine, tires, suspension rod ends and wind through open windows make. While I wouldn't want this exhaust on an endurance car, there are no issues with it in the short sprint sessions that it participates in.

Now, would I want this on a dual-duty street and track car, no way. But remember this is a dedicated track car with no sound deadening or interior of any kind.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider here is that with the shortened exhaust setup and dumps like that, you won't have to worry about pinching a pipe and blowing an engine or breaking the headers off at the studs if someone rear-ends you in a touchy-feely AI race.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Mark, are you going to be at the Five-Star track day? I know Terry will have the red car out there and expect he will be instructing.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Those are stainless 3" Magnaflow race mufflers

DSC_5303-S.jpg

I like! I may have to do this to the blue car.:clap: What mufflers did you use?

Magnaflow #14419

Inlet-3in
Outlet-3in
Case Length- 14.000 in.

Case Outside Diameter- 4.000 in.

Overall Length- 20.000 in.

Thanks!

Scrape

forum member
Reaction score
Wow! Nice thread. Very interesting to say the least. Too bad our climate will corrode many of those suspension components.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Project Update for Nov 16, 2012: Wow, has it been a month since my last update to this build thread? We've been buried and posting on our other build threads, but I neglected this one. We had an autocross two weeks ago (last one of the year) and have a track event tomorrow that we're loading up for. And the eBay auction on my 2001 BMW 330Ci is still going strong (ends Tuesday Nov 20th at noon!). Anyway - busy busy, so let's get caught up with a quick update.

SCCA Autocross, Crandall, Nov 4, 2012

Two weeks ago we had the last autocross for the year lined up. We had the 315/35/18 Kumho V710s still mounted to the Forgestar 18x11"/18x12" race wheels. Hmm, swap to the Hoosiers for this autocross or not? It was the last event of the year and I had the regional class championship wrapped up, so I blew off the extra work of swapping tires and had the guys here at Vorshlag leave those on the race wheels and the 315/30/18 Hoosier A6s stayed on the tire rack. If it was even remotely warm they would probably do all right, and I doubted Madarash would show up to two SCCA regional events in a row (my main ESP competition in this region - the reigning and 8 time ESP National Champion who is brutally fast every time).

times-ESP-SM-L.jpg

Well, I was wrong... he did show up, but didn't run his car. Opie Viets brought his '84 3rd gen Camaro down from his region and ran with Madarash co-driving. And they ran Street Mod, in an earlier heat. Opie's car was similar to Mark's in many ways, and even had Madarsh's old double-adjustable Konis and some other parts of the set-up were the same. But it wasn't Mark's actual 3rd gen, and he told me this past week that it still needed some work. So yea, "I beat Madarash", technically, but it wasn't a real victory - it wasn't his car, running in the same class or heat. But.... I never get to say that much, so I gotta sneak it in whenever I can! :D

Strangely I did place 2nd out of 112 in PAX, which was a first for this car. It was frakkin working WELL on those Kumhos!?! So Amy and I drove together in ESP and ran in the last heat of the day. Temperatures were mild all day and there was water on two parts of the course for everyone's runs. It was there in the morning and kept seeping up through some cracks in the concrete pad, so we all had to deal with it. Oh well, could have been in worse spots.

DSC_5321-S.jpg
DSC_5324-S.jpg

The course was the same as two months ago for the first 1/4, then it had some tight turn-arounds with short acceleration zones coming out, with lots of tight TIGHT transitions. Walking the course I feared losing to street tired Miatas in STR or the narrow slalom buggies in STX, but luckily that didn't happen. Putting 2.5 seconds on STR and 4.5 seconds on STX was unusual for us, but it felt gooood. Even with a lot of tight stuff the big S197 did all right. :)

DSC_5377-M.jpg

Everything seemed to work well that day, for once. The shocks worked brilliantly, as always, but so did the brakes. No "ice mode" or lack of power assist, like the last time we ran here (we put in the 2nd replacement brake booster vacuum hose grommet before the NASA event). The tires were pretty cool all day, but we finally got some heat in them after our 4th runs, which seemed to help. With the new stiffer spring rates we added after the Solo Nationals, and the stiffer swaybar settings that seemed to work best in our private test, the car corners flatter and transitions violently.

DSC_5395-S.jpg
DSC_5400-S.jpg

A nice surprise was Amy getting interviewed by a camera crew shooting for "Mobil1 The Grid". The interviewer even rode through with Amy and was all smiles after hopping out. They interviewed a half dozen racers so it might not "make the cut", but she put on some good runs and did great on camera, and the car looked and sounded great. She was a tenth off of Madarash's time, and a second quicker than the 3rd place ESP entrant, also a Solo Nationals veteran. The Mustang was just stinkin' FAST that day. So ... we will know if she made the cut when the show airs on Speed (or FoxSports1?) next March, I guess.

DSC_5329-S.jpg
DSC_5357-S.jpg

An old college buddy and my current engine builder (HKRacing Engines), Erik Koenig, was in town delivering two LS1 engines to Vorshlag, so he stuck around and came to the autocross. We watched some of the event from atop the drag race bleachers then he rode through with me on three of my runs. He taught me most of what I know about autocrossing back from our TAMSCC college racing days, and was the first person I ever rode through with in an autocross run with on race tires - which totally ruined me, and led me to go to college at Texas A&M University in the first place! He used to race well against Madarash in ESP in the early 1990s, so he got to talk to him again after being away from the sport for the past decade. It was good to see him out again and I hope he gets one of his Mustangs back into autocross worthy shape soon. Big shout out to my buddy Ed from Pirtek, who came out to "crew" for Amy's and my runs. When you're driving with two folks in a small heat, with numbers to change, tires to check, shocks to tweak, passengers on every run, and a TV crew shooting video of all of that, this really helps - so thanks!

Above is the in-car video from my fifth and best run. It had a huge mistake in one of the tight 180° turn-arounds, and I blew off the run after that. The right rear started spinning after that flub and I just matted the throttle, pissed off at my mistake, and just drove like an idiot to the finish. And dropped almost 9 tenths?! I am still scratching my head over that one. I guess all of my other runs were worse - and they all did have mistakes. I never claimed to be a good driver, but sometimes I luck into a good run. I didn't hit a cone all day and Amy was also pretty clean with only one cone, and we were stepping on cone bases. She managed 2nd in class and 11th in PAX, also a good placing for her.

This was our last autocross planned for the year. We have lots to work on over the winter to this car, mainly turning it into a more track-worthy car, with the compromises of running "autocross and track and street" down to just "track and street only", as the 2013 GT is getting closer to ESP set-up. We have another set of coilovers on hand for the '13 (AST 4200RR), as well as a Watts Link kit (Whiteline, of course), and some other bits and pieces that we will show in that build thread (I will link it from here when I start it).

Preparation for Five Star Ford track day

b_DSC4115_1-M.jpg

So that was two weeks ago and today we're prepping the 2011 GT for another track event. This is an informal HPDE put on by the Five Star Ford of Plano dealership where we got our '13 GT, and the dealer we got that car from is setting this up (Corey White). This is the same group that did this back in June. Weather for tomorrow looks nice and we should have 40-50 cars. Amy will be driving the '11 GT and Matt will be in his BRZ (which got 255 Hankook R-S3s on the 17x9" wheels, Carbotech brake pads, and an oil change today, too).

_DSC3982-S.jpg
_DSC4003-S.jpg

One of the biggest changes to the '11 GT was a height reduction on the rear wing element. After hearing from several aero experts about the poor placement of our APR 3D wing element ("it doesn't work above the roofline!") we finally got around to shortening our custom built wing uprights. Ryan took 5 inches out of the height and the element now sits below the roof line.

Ryan, and our new tech that started this week Olof, got the Mustang and BRZ cleaned up, inspected, tires swapped, brake pads swapped, and the red car is being loaded into the trailer now. We will be out at Eagles Canyon bright and early tomorrow morning to put in some solid laps in both cars.

_DSC4214-S.jpg
_DSC4217-S.jpg

The differential in the 2011 GT is fried again, so we'll order another carbon clutch pack rebuild kit from Ford and get that installed in the coming weeks. The left rear outer axle seal is weeping a tiny bit of fluid, so that needs to be changed. The next event for this car is another ECR track event December 8th - the annual "Toy Run" event.

(continued below)

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
2012 Mustang Boss 302-S Prep

During the week of Nov 5-9th we worked on American Iron racer Mark Smith's Boss 302-S race car here at Vorshlag. Figured I'd show this car, as it has some pretty cool parts and capabilities as delivered from Ford. I will show more on this car in a future post, too.

_DSC3008-S.jpg
_DSC3006-S.jpg

After setting a track record at ECR in October, he brought the car to Vorshlag for some more tweaks, updates, and repairs. We had discussed some weight saving items we could tackle for a good 75+ pound drop in weight. American Iron runs with a power:weight formula, and the 302-S can run a variety of restrictors to go up and down in power. With a lower weight he can run less power, then add ballast to use a larger restrictor for more power at bigger tracks. Flexibility...

both_DSC3143%20copy%20copy-L.jpg

The big update we made was a new custom mandrel bent exhaust, to replace the nearly stock parts that these cars come with. We left the stock exhaust manifolds in place, as much as it pained me, and concentrated on a lightweight, high flow race exhaust that included 16 gauge Stainless Steel mandrel bends, two 4" round Magnaflow stainless mufflers, and a custom X-merge, all made in-house here by our fab guru Ryan. The new system stopped just below the rear axle and the car dropped about 45 pounds - and picked up a lot of power.

jpg_DSC3426%20copy-S.jpg
_DSC3210%20copy-S.jpg

The entire system is tucked above the bottom of the frame rails and shouldn't ever scrape anywhere, unless it runs over something off track that only hits under the middle of the car. Ryan added heat shielding to the tunnel near the tips, built custom hangers with poly mount bushings, and it looks and sounds amazing.

JPGEDITwarpBETTERUntitled_Panorama1%20copy%203-L.jpg

With the stock air filter/box in place and the stock exhaust manifolds, power jumped from 365 to 420 whp! The old number had a home-brew air restrictor in place, which was changed for a proper restrictor in the throttle body. LG Motorsports dyno'd the car with three different size restrictors and now it has 365 whp again, but a lot more torque than before. He can also run the car at three different weights now and has the dyno charts and restrictors needed for each AI legal set-up.

DSC_5410-S.jpg
DSC_5411-S.jpg

Ryan built a custom bracket for this sub-3 pound battery Mark wanted to try - and the dang thing works! It charges fast and will start the car at least 5 times in a row with the same charge. Dropped 30 more pounds with this battery, and the old one can be swapped in quickly to add ballast or if the new wiz-bang battery craps out. New front wheel bearings, a strut repair, lots of clean-up work, new fluids in the diff/cool and trans/cooler, and a sound test rounded out our work for the week. Mark was very pleased with the car, the exhaust still managed to only blow 95 dB, and he did well at two races at NOLA last weekend.

Video of the drive-by in the 302-S with a sound meter at 50 feet.

A rear main seal leak (that we warned him about) became worse in those two races at NOLA and a slipping clutch ended his weekend early, after the second race. He managed to secure 2nd overall in AI for the year for NASA Texas, so he was happy with that (he only ran about half of the races). Next year - look out! I suspect Mark's 302-S will likely win even more AI races.

Anyway... this quick post grew a bit! I better sign off and help get the trailer loaded. Until next time!

speedform

Reaction score
So Teri, where did all that new found power come from? From just the new custom free flow exhaust and a tune? Great numbers!

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
So mad at myself because we went out to NOLA last weekend for their NASA event and saw that BOSS 302S. Had I realized who it was I would of came over and talked. Saw him leading the pack every time he was out! Amazing car to say the least.

2cf4fnn.jpg

2yzg6mb.jpg

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So Teri, where did all that new found power come from? From just the new custom free flow exhaust and a tune? Great numbers!
That's what I didn't write very well, as it was asked on another forum.

jDSC_5412-M.jpg

So when this car came in it already had a restrictor in place - piece of sheet metal with holes drilled in it, inside the airbox. We didn't do "before" dyno runs, but with that set-up on the stock-ish exhaust it made 365 whp. With no restrictor and our new exhaust it made 420, then LGMotorsports made several restrictors and dyno pulls to get it back to 365 whp. Net benefit was more usable torque, which is still legal with AI rules and his curb weight. But he can also run it at heavier weights with the other restrictor or in ST with no restrictor.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
This is for everyone:

I see people do this all the time and it is a bad idea in the long run. If you jack up/support the cars weight from where the K-member bolts to the chassis/torque boxes you will eventually crush the torque boxes. Once the torque boxes are crushed they are a total PITA to fix! I see people doing this all the time.

When jacking/supporting the weight of the car at the front it is best to use the OEM jacking point on the rocker. Which is best done with a custom “puck” with a slot in it that interfaces with your lifting/support mechanism. Or support the car from the inner frame rails.

It’s a bit of a PITA.

Not trying to pick on you Fair, I have seen a LOT of people jacking from the torque boxes not knowing they were slowly crushing them. I learned not to do it by crushing the ones on my 07'.:dunce:

JPGEDITwarpBETTERUntitled_Panorama120copy203-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back