Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Did you still have the tire rub inside the fender well like shown above once the Whiteline piece was installed. It seems like you nearly had full contact across the inner fender at times.

Also, what's the offset on the rear wheels?

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
No, we used a different offset to finish getting it off the inner fender.

The wheel specs are a closely guarded secret. ;-) One of the very few things we don't divulge.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, in that Track Build-up article (a separate thread) we will give some tips on various levels of track worthy mods, from casual track day dual-purpose cars to all-out dedicated track cars, as that covers our array of S197 customers.

Our upcoming 2013 GT thread will focus more on a dedicated ESP classed autocross build, which has its own rules, conditions and needs. That car is going to lose every ounce we can find, and will be cut up a bit to fit wider wheels and tires than the 18x11/18x12" wheels and 315mm tires our 2011 GT runs under stock fenders.

Thanks,
Sounds great.

No, we used a different offset to finish getting it off the inner fender.

The wheel specs are a closely guarded secret. ;-) One of the very few things we don't divulge.

All was well until that statement, kidding or not. I don't like companies that keep secrets from customers. Any and all questions not answered completely and honestly make my "spidey senses" tingle...sorry. :(

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
It's not much of a secret, I sure they are running somewhere between 55-62 +/- a couple mm to fit that wide of a tire in the rear. I was just curious to know the exact offset in case anyone was looking to run that wheel combo.

Digital - We both know from tampering with Forgestar wheels that they offer a wide range of offset to suit/ make it possible to throw some thick tires out back.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
All was well until that statement, kidding or not. I don't like companies that keep secrets from customers. Any and all questions not answered completely and honestly make my "spidey senses" tingle...sorry. :(

Well I think we have shared a lot more of our S197 wheel testing than most if not all other shops. There are 224 pictures in this gallery showing a lot of what we did. I purchased over a dozen different wheels to test fit with, many of which didn't fit (or fit poorly), and after testing had to be sold at a loss. Each one was weighed, we verified offset/backspacing, checked caliper clearance, and some of them were race tested.

DSC_9748-S.jpg
DSC_9753-S.jpg

In the end we found that there weren't any 18x10" or larger off the shelf wheels that actually fit this car, so we decided to make our own run of wheels in conjunction with D-Force Wheels. Big investment in time, money and marketing on our part. So we didn't release our final wheel offset data until the production run of Vorshlag/D-Force 18x10" wheels (see below) was ready to sell. Because we knew that once we sold a lot of these, people would figure it out and share the data quickly - so we did share that "magic offset" (the only number we could come up with that allowed a 10" wide wheel to fit both the front and back of an S197), which was +43mm. It wasn't long after that before people were ordering wheels from other vendors in this same offset and size, and other vendors made their own wheels using these dimensions. It happens, and you cannot keep a lid on everything. We know that. Forgestar sells tons of 18x10" wheels for S197s with this offset.

DSC_6116-M.jpg

Vorshlag is always extremely open on every project build thread we make, but when it comes to something we might actually be able to sell, we don't give away things that would be considered trade secrets. We don't share things like the names of our suppliers, or machine shops, or individual part numbers on items we use inside a kit or product we sell. You won't find me posting up CAD prints for our parts, or telling you how much our cost is on an item. To do that would be business suicide. Most people can understand that, if they look at it from our point of view.

DSC_9935-M.jpg

Likewise, the offsets on the custom set of 18x11 and 18x12" wheels we have managed to fit under the fenders of this car took a lot of time, money and effort to perfect. We know that many fewer people will run that size, because that takes a lot of compromises and variables put a certain way to make them fit. And it is not streetable. Then you have to realize that we are a Forgestar dealer. So if you want to get a similar set, we'd love to work with you, and we have the best Forgestar prices allowed. :) But we're not going to share the offsets openly. One of the few "hold backs" you will see.

It's not much of a secret, I sure they are running somewhere between 55-62 +/- a couple mm to fit that wide of a tire in the rear. I was just curious to know the exact offset in case anyone was looking to run that wheel combo.

Digital - We both know from tampering with Forgestar wheels that they offer a wide range of offset to suit/ make it possible to throw some thick tires out back.
Exactly. You can figure it out on your own if you don't want to work with us to get a set made by Forgestar. The guys at Forgestar won't give away our offsets either, and even if they did it might not be the right one (we've tweaked them since our first order).

Honestly I try to discourage most people from using the 18x12" wheel on these cars. We had to switch to a Watts Link (Whiteline) to minimize axle movement and then to a reverse mounted swaybar (Whiteline) to make room for these wheels, inboard. It isn't an easy fit. And for extreme track or autocross use they still aren't big enough. :D So on our 2013 GT we're going with at least 18x13 if not 18x14" rear wheels, so we can run the largest Hoosier or Kumho race tire made (345/35/18). That will take heavily cut fenders and fender flares.

DSC_6157-S.jpg
DSC_6121-S.jpg
DSC_3359-S.jpg

But for 95% of the racers out there, just going to the proper offset 18x10" wheel is a huge step up in performance. Those can and DO fit very well, both front and back, and will swallow a 295mm tire.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Eventually, other people will figure it out, on their own time and at their own expense.

But as things stand right now, it's Terry's time and $ that have made these wheels possible. It's a suicidal business model to do everybody else's R&D for free.

Edit - this was written 100% independently of Terry's post.

Norm

Last edited:

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
So are you saying that you sell the same 18x11/12 setup, used on your car, on your site? Because if so, then all is good.

Last edited:

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Fair - Is there really a need to be running large with tires like that? (in reference to the 13/14" wide wheels you plan on going with on the 2013) with the proper suspension and tire combo it's not really needed is it? Or does it help stabalize the car through higher speed, tight cornering?

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Fair - Is there really a need to be running large with tires like that? (in reference to the 13/14" wide wheels you plan on going with on the 2013) with the proper suspension and tire combo it's not really needed is it? Or does it help stabalize the car through higher speed, tight cornering?

This will be interesting to see when they go to COTA.

I think it's something like the older F1 cars, they had huge tires for traction...but the newer cars have much smaller tires because they use aerodynamics for traction and downforce.

The mustang is too heavy, slow, and large to do those things (in comparison to an F1 car) so the solution I would guess would be evenly matched rubber to the ground, or slightly staggered so the balance is square.

This is just a guess, not a suspension/tire guru.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Gotcha, instead of using aerodynamics because of weight, they are increasing overall surface contact by running larger tires to counteract the larger body loads being thrown around.

Fair - thanks for answering my question regarding the wheels. I understand your trying to protect your company's investment by not throwing out the offsets to just anyone.

My car isn't a track car, it's needs to be streetable. My original plan was to run a 19x9, 19x12 Forgestar combo (275 front, 315 rear) but indefinitely don't want to be wasting money by finding out its gonna rub on eveything. 19" tires, especially 300+ widths are not cheap.

modernbeat

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The 18x13 and 18x14 tires are going on our black 2013 GT, which is a dedicated E-Street Prepared SCCA autocross car. It really does need more meat, as the aero helps, but not nearly enough and the drag penalty of the aero, flares and large tires doesn't matter as much in autocross. We will be trying to keep the car as narrow as possible while still running those huge tires.

The red 2011 GT now has some parts on it that are not SCCA ESP legal, and will be used as a street and track car using 18x10 on the street and the 18x11 and 18x12 on the track. We have more freedom on what aero we use on the track, and it's more effective at track speeds.

And we don't sell the 18x11 and 18x12 on our website yet. There is a lot of education we need to do before selling those wheels to someone. While the car doesn't require mods except for the narrow rear swaybar and the addition of a Watts link, the rear 18x12 wheels can be difficult to remove and install and we want to make sure any potential purchaser know that before committing to them.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Why not do a 19" square set up? 19x10 42 offset with 285's (maybe 295 too) works well. It looks best though if you add a 5 mm spacer in the front. I like that look better than the 38 all around, too much poke in the back for me. I love the handling of a square set up! The ability to rotate is nice too!

DRock

Reaction score
Why not do a 19" square set up? 19x10 42 offset with 285's (maybe 295 too) works well. It looks best though if you add a 5 mm spacer in the front. I like that look better than the 38 all around, too much poke in the back for me. I love the handling of a square set up! The ability to rotate is nice too!

Cause 19' tires are expensive and 18' allow for meat and less rotating mass.

modernbeat

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Cause 19' tires are expensive and 18' allow for meat and less rotating mass.

Exactly. The 19" wheels and tires have no performance or cost advantages over the 18" wheels and tires. And for a while, the selection of 18" performance tires dwarfed the selection of 19" tires. The big tires are catching up, and in some super wide sizes surpass the 18" tires. But for our purposes the 18" tires fit the bill.

But, I also realize that performance and costs are not the only factors people have in mind when they buy parts. FWIW, we also like the way the 18" parts look on a moderately lowered car.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Ya, I wasn't thinking about how much those tires cost, you have a good point there.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Gotcha, instead of using aerodynamics because of weight, they are increasing overall surface contact by running larger tires to counteract the larger body loads being thrown around.

More so speed or lack there of. Aero does play a part, but not really significant until speeds of 100+. Not too many mustangs making 90' turns at thy speed. ;)

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Terry/Jason,

If you guys could do it over again, would you run 18x11s in a square setup on the red mustang? What's the benefit of the 12" wheel in the back with the same size tire all around?

modernbeat

Official Vendor
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't because you can't run an 18x11 square setup without running a large spacer on the front wheel and we really don't want to run much more than a 12mm or 1/2" spacer on the track.

The 12" wheel gives the 315 tire the support it needs. If we could get a 12" up front, we would. But the clearances are just too tight to get any more wheel up there without cutting the fender and going to flares. The 11" isn't the best wheel for the 315 tire, but it does OK and it centers the tire in the available space under the fender.

The black car may be getting 18x13 and 18x14 wheels, but it's also getting flares.

DRock

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the flares....i would go for a set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back