Wheel hop

Klean14

Reaction score
Looking for a little rearend guidance. I have a low mileage stock 2014 track pack with the p zeros. Horrible wheel hop on launch. Thinking about starting with aftermarket upper and lower control arms. Good place to start?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
perfect place to start, LCA & UCA upgrades should solve the wheel hop issue.

use bushing style for better ride comfort and less NVH, the spherical type will will be much harsher.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If your car has been lowered at all, look to see if you need LCA relocation brackets. They need to be pointing slightly down at the axle side. If they are level or pointing up then the axle will unload under throttle reducing traction.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on the LCA and UCA recommendation.
Look for BMR components, some of the best stuff you can get!

KRS

Reaction score
If you have any concerns for NVH then the Roush UCA would be my choice. I’m pretty sure the part number is 421120. Unfortunately it’s currently not available, it might be worth a call to Roush to find out why. I installed one on my 2011 GT500 that is mildly modified, around 550 rwhp. Before the UCA I experienced violent wheel hop and after the install the tires just break loose cleanly.

Last edited:

SilBult

Reaction score
In my experience you have two ways to go, control arms or shocks. I have a base model '14 GT with a manual transmission. In stock form I experienced the same wheel hop that everyone has complained about. I installed a set of J&M lower control arms with poly bushings. I choose the J&M's because the design of the rear bushings allows them to pivot and should prevent binding when the body rolls in cornering. They eliminated the wheel hop without needing to change the upper arm. After about a year of use they started to transmit more driveline noise into the car then they did when new. I am sure some people would be OK with it. I wasn't. I tried sound deader under the rear seat, but it really didn't help much so I put the stock arms back on. Later I installed Vorshlag's Street Pro suspension set up [ it works ] and the Bilstein shocks it comes with have pretty much eliminated the wheel hop. Relocation brackets can help with forward bite, but too much anti-squat can induce roll oversteer. There really isn't any " free lunch". There will almost always be trade offs. If you go with relocation brackets, try to buy ones that don't require welding and that won't interfere with any other suspension mods you might have in mind.

Disarray

Reaction score
+1 on control arms. This weekend I just replaced my lower control arms and panhard bar with Eibach's adjustable units with hardened rubber bushings, and my rear axle doesn't wheel hop at all anymore. Seems to be near perfect in the NVH department too, but I haven't spent much time with them yet.
I'm running a wider tire (255/45r18) which helped some with hop, but didn't eliminate it. I'd recommend changing either the upper or lower first, to see if you'll need the other set.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A couple people mentioned shocks. I didn't mention them in my first post because I just assumed that's a given. If you're still running OEM shocks then close this thread and go buy decent shocks first. I ran Koni yellows on both of my Mustangs, although I ended up permanently leaving them at the softest setting. Unless you're into hard core racing just buy the Koni orange (non adjustable) and you will be happy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Looking for a little rearend guidance. I have a low mileage stock 2014 track pack with the p zeros. Horrible wheel hop on launch. Thinking about starting with aftermarket upper and lower control arms. Good place to start?
I'd start with the LCAs alone. If that fixes the issue, you're done (and save yourself a potentially miserable little UCA job).

For the same reason, I think I'd try shocks next. Koni yellows aren't that bad, not after they've had a few hundred to a thousand miles to "break in" (initial seal stiction/friction diminishes).

Norm

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
If you have any concerns for NVH then the Roush UCA would be my choice. I’m pretty sure the part number is 421120. Unfortunately it’s currently not available, it might be worth a call to Roush to find out why. I installed one on my 2011 GT500 that is mildly modified, around 550 rwhp. Before the UCA I experienced violent wheel hop and after the install the tires just break loose cleanly.

I went The Roush upper and lower also. No hop at all, does spin like crazy though............

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive seen people cutting 1.50 60 foots with no wheel hop on stock shocks. Start with the lca and dont cheap out. BMR or UPR is good stuff.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
When the coyote first came out I remember reading that people with autos could get away with stock control arms and bushings. No wheel hop. The manuals seemed to be much more prone to it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I had my '05 GT it had wicked axle hop. I put stickier tires on it (drag radials) and it never axle hopped again. The car was totally stock.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I went The Roush upper and lower also. No hop at all, does spin like crazy though............

I've got full BMR in the back. I'm putting 450 down at the wheels, and spin is my main issue right now on 20 inch rims. I get no wheel hop but, in low speed turns, I literally have to steer the car with the throttle. Good problem to have, I suppose.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
After the coyote swap, my car developed a horrible wheel hop. Even in rain, if they started spinning -> hop. Full throttle tire smoke show from a stop was totally hop free. Go figure lol
I did 2 things that completely eliminated the hop:
1: adjustable upper and set pinion angle.
2: tune changes. As I worked on the drivability of the tune, driving in the rain one day, I realized the wheel hop was fixed.
Running stock LCAs (13GT) that came with the 8.8 and QA1 adjustable upper (bearing at the body side)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back