Which Aluminum Driveshaft Should I Get?

What Driveshaft Should I Get?

• Total voters

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Am I supposed to use the adapter that comes with the DSS shaft? With the adapter bolted to the rear there is no room to fit the front of the shaft. I even tried bolting the front first.

Without the adapter plate there is about a half inch too short. What am I missing?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yes, you need the adapter. Use jack stands under the car frame and let the axle hang. This should give you plenty of room to get it in. The axle has a small amount of retraction and extension to allow for suspension movement. It's just really stiff because it's new.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Yes, you need the adapter. Use jack stands under the car frame and let the axle hang. This should give you plenty of room to get it in. The axle has a small amount of retraction and extension to allow for suspension movement. It's just really stiff because it's new.

I have got the axle and place and I pushed it back over top of the rear pumpkin, So that I can get the front up and end however there's not enough space.

I have the adapter bolted in and the back of the actual lined up and I plan on using the factory bolts as there longer and better.

However when I try to line up the front of the axle it can't go in because the axle is too long.

ypybymuh.jpg

myja4u4u.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The axle will compress with some leverage. Make sure the adapter is properly torqued to the rear pinion before attaching the axle as once it's in place you will not have access to those bolt heads.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
The axle will compress with some leverage. Make sure the adapter is properly torqued to the rear pinion before attaching the axle as once it's in place you will not have access to those bolt heads.

I was able to angle the hanging at the back and compresses slightly but I can't get full compression to fit. the axle is too long

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I have BMR Lca's and relocation brackets Could that be why? Maybe I should undo the lower control arms to move the axle back in order to install the driveshaft what do you think?

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you put the drive shaft in the back first, there's not enough room at the transmission end to slip it in? that's what i had to do, and in fact that's how dss told me to do. it requires less space to slip it over the transmission flange than the flange/adapter at the rear. if it's still too long, you may need to install adjustable lca's if you don't already have them to give yourself a tiny bit more room. did you give them a measurement before ordering the drive shaft? i got one of their first units, and supplied them with measurements of the opening before they shipped the drive shaft.

also if you have a rubber mallet, you can gently tap the end bottom of the cv joint to make sure it's completely compressed before doing the install. i had to do that also.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I finally got it. Thanks for all the help guys! I Took a rubber mallet and bang it down to compress the joint and then it went in and it was a little bit too small so I just tapped it to extend the driveshaft again until it fit snug and then i tightened down all the bolts.

Car accelerates beautifully and there's no more driveshaft clunk! So smooth much better than stock.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I finally got it. Thanks for all the help guys! I Took a rubber mallet and bang it down to compress the joint and then it went in and it was a little bit too small so I just tapped it to extend the driveshaft again until it fit snug and then i tightened down all the bolts.

Car accelerates beautifully and there's no more driveshaft clunk! So smooth much better than stock.

Nice work getting it done. And no bullshit measuring a hundred different times trying to get the pinion angle right. DSS FTW

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
So I took off my H&R supersports and installed eibach pro kit, along with bilstein shocks.

I did have camber bolts but since the eibach sits higher(less of a drop) I used the stock bolts and turned the strut which compensated so my camber looks good.

I am getting a vibration at 50mph or above and it doesn't seem like just front tires it feels it's coming from around the shifter.

Since I have a saleen supercharger and the eibach is made for a GT that means the front is a bit lower, I also have no spate tire. So the rear sits up a very small amount.

Is it possible this is causing the driveshaft to vibrate?

If the rear goes up and front goes down it increases transmission flange angle.

Any thoughts?

Back