Who is staggering their resonators?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The drone comes from the "clashing" of sound waves with similar frequencies. Staggering or disrupting the sound waves through other methods reduces/eliminates it. Think of the pipes as a giant tuning fork. If they were perfectly symmetrical, then it would cause drone just like a tuning fork generates a tone when you hit it against a surface.

This is the reason why the factory 5.0 resonators are flattened in different areas on each side. Because of that design, the similar sound frequencies won't bounce off each other because they are going in different directions. Also, if you notice how Borla will design the ATAK mufflers with different size tubes, holes, etc. on the inside of the mufflers, this is how they eliminate the drone at the muffler area while still producing the aggressive free flowing sound.

Science is over-rated.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
3nj3z35.jpg

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My exhaust guy (very reputable locally) said he doesn't think staggering is necessary. Should I just have him do it? I don't want to deal with "I told you so" if it still drones. He's recommending Magnaflow resonators with my Kooks and catted h.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My exhaust guy (very reputable locally) said he doesn't think staggering is necessary. Should I just have him do it? I don't want to deal with "I told you so" if it still drones. He's recommending Magnaflow resonators with my Kooks and catted h.

IMO..the jury is still out on staggering them..and by how much..and with which brand of resonator. I'd prefer to get them as close to the axle as possible..where you have the greatest clearance above the ground. With any amount of rake on the car.... you get max clearance the further back you go.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry I won't be able to help with this one. My guy thought staggered resonators was a waste. He mounted two 14" Magnapacks in parallel. The car sounds awesome but it didn't eliminate the drone 100%. It's much better and VERY minimal, but I think I would be reduce the throaty rumble to eliminate the drone 100%.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've been on the fence about dynamat, but I think you've swayed me. I wasn't excited about adding 40lbs (2 boxes worth), but I do think it would be worth it. Besides, what's another 40lbs on 3800?

About .04 in the quarter mile.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Here is the M80 installed staggered. All the parts are stock uncut and no welding.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Mine are offset. LTs, cams, no cats, gotta have resonators.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Huh? The pipe that usually follows the muffler? Isn't that just the tip?

Did you look at the picture? If you have Pypes system you can do this without you can't. You can see the clamp next to the gas tank in the picture.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Huh? The pipe that usually follows the muffler? Isn't that just the tip?

He's talking about a Pypes Super Syetem. There are two mid mount "glass packs" and the tips are resonators. You're thinking of a Pype Bombs system, which is just the resonators.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, after driving it a few times, I can reproduce the drone still around 2200-2400 rpms. Usually when I'm in a higher gear (3rd-5th).

I'll circle back with my exhaust guy and see if he'll stagger the resonators. It should be fairly simple but hopefully he think I'm a PITA.

It's a bit quieter too, but since I have a Paxton, cams and a stroker kit on my build list, I won't sweat it. I'm sure those mods will increase the volume again.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back