Why are people using front d/s loops?

onebadgsx

Reaction score
because 05-07's have a two piece drive shaft, so you need two loops, or replace the 2 piece with a 1 piece and get 1 loop.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the loop goes towards the front of the DS? I think I read somewhere that NHRA requirement is the loop I think 6 or 8 inches from the front u-joint. It makes sense if the front fails it will prevent the DS from burying into the pavement and catapulting your car....

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Zackly... a rear loop wouldn't help much if the front joint fails.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i got my CHE front loop on. Phew im safe i hope. i saw the carnage of that failed aluminum shaft on MF. scary shit

J

JonW

I've got one loop on my 1-piece driveshaft, and it's in the front. If the rear u-joint fails, the driveshaft will drop down and make a lot of sparks and noise, but won't cause a huge safety issue. If the front u-joint fails and the driveshaft drops down, it could dig into the pavement and either bring the car to a very abrupt halt, or worse, catapult the car. Neither one is a good scenario.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
actually mythbusters a while ago disproved the catapult theory. said it was impossible. now i kno nothing is impossible, but it is very extremely unlikely it will catapult the car.

yet i still have my loop on anyway haha the shaft might come through the floor and get me too lol

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw that episode. The car was too heave to catapult. Going through the floor is a real concern though I think

I

iNAN3 SOLDi3R

actually mythbusters a while ago disproved the catapult theory. said it was impossible. now i kno nothing is impossible, but it is very extremely unlikely it will catapult the car.

yet i still have my loop on anyway haha the shaft might come through the floor and get me too lol

Haha! I bet you'd flip head over heels if you were running 140mph on the autobahn here in good old Germany! Makes me want to go out and buy a loop for the just because factor...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its a good thing our cars are heavy pigs then

2MFF

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well the reason I asked was because the MGW shifter has clearance issues with the BMR front loop.

All you need is 0.350" worth of a spacer between the 2 parts of the BMR loop

BTW - I had a pinion nut fail on a 1985 Dodge 4x4 that caused the 1 piece ds to come apart at the front slip joint. The drive shaft dug into the road and caused the rear end to pitch sideways into the next lane. Luckily no one was next to me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back