Working on eliminating wheel hop..?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I ran a set of DR's a while ago, and had some pretty nasty wheel hop at the drag strip (and on the street). I don't experience this with the stock rubber. I've installed the Roush anti wheel hop kit (3rd link), and it helped a little bit. But, I've still got massive hop.. I haven't put DR's back on the car yet because I'm afraid to break something. What can I do to get rid of this?

I'm assuming a good set of shocks (Lakewood 50/50's?), springs, LCA's? That's what I run on my 04 GT.. although I've never had hop issues with it.

This is a 6mt car, btw..

Travis

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
I noticed a big reduction of wheel hop after I installed my BMR lower control arms. They're relatively cheap and easy to install. I'd give em a try.

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
My 5.0 has severe wheel hop. I put BBR bullitt LCA's which did nothing. I have spoken to Sam Strano about the wheel hop and he advised to lower my car which should take care of the wheel hop.

Bad Intention

forum member
Reaction score
When i first got the car felt lil bit of wheel hop on the street. But since i've lowered the car and run DR's (295/55/15). I will be adding some LCA's and UCa in the next couple WKs.

zilla8

Reaction score
My car hopped like Peter rabbit at the track before I did my suspension mods.Now I have no hop and can launch like a rocket.I think It's a combo of things that eliminate the hop.I did everything at once so It's hard to tell what helped the most.

My shop said the pinion angle adjustment was key in getting the wheels to plant.I was amazed when I launched for the first time and the hop was gone.

I have Eibach Pro kit springs,UPR pro street UCA W/upper mount,UPR billet LCA's,Koni STR.T struts-shocks,Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates,adj panhard bar,BMR panhard brace.

Last edited:

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
The stock control arms on Mustangs have always been absolute JUNK. Tons of slop and a "just get it on there" design make for what you are getting. Obviously Ford can't put what we want on there because of the cost and ease of assembly line installation issues.

Replace the springs and LCA's and maybe also the Panhard Bar and you should see a pretty noticeable difference. Shocks probably wouldnt't hurt either. Stock stuff is just junk once you want to put some REAL power and #'s down to the ground.

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
Prothane Bushings help out a ton as well..

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Good info.. I think I'll start with a set of LCA's, springs, and then have the pinion angle adjusted.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
We run METCO LCA's with the relocation brackets, stock springs and stock shocks (Brembo car) and 1.59 60ft all day on slicks. No wheel hop on DR's either and 1.62 60ft on them. The METCO LCA's and relocation brackets are a simple bolt on and both high quality parts that we offer. !!! If we can be of any help just give us a call.

JJ

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
That was with 4.10's on 26" drag radials (had some laying around). I went down to a 3.73 since then. I felt like I was leaving something on the table with the 4.10's. 2nd gear felt pretty much useless.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Good tech info in this thread.

I've put Steeda Ultralights, Steeda dual Adj PHB and Koni STR.T's with the GT500 upper strut mounts on my '11 GT and so far, no more wheel hop. I'm running BFG KDW II's in 275/35-19 on the back, but haven't tried DR's yet. But I do plan on getting some LCA's with relocation brackets just because with my setup now, I can see that the stock LCA's aren't level.

Mikes5.0

forum member
Reaction score
My 5.0 has severe wheel hop. I put BBR bullitt LCA's which did nothing. I have spoken to Sam Strano about the wheel hop and he advised to lower my car which should take care of the wheel hop.

+1 I lowered my car with upr springs and koni shocks and fixed the wheel hop.

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
my m6 2011 had zero wheelhop... i ran nitto nt05r dr's.... 14 psi and could pull low 1.7 60's and high 1.6 60's all day long launching at 5500 rpm. on 100% stock suspension.

cobra mike

rice killer
Reaction score
Mine wheel hopped bad, I put some lca on, and it took about half out, im going to get some relocation brackets, and see if it wont cure the rest

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
LCA's alone will not fix it. To resolve, you need the relo. brackets.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back