Xpipe vs hpipe

Jcg_3v94

Reaction score
What would be better for boost and why? Any real difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
What would be better for boost and why? Any real difference?

In a boosted application it doesn't really matter performance wise. The only difference will be in the sound and even that depends on what type of mufflers you have further downstream.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Like others state...air flows through them, pretty much the same. Only difference is "sound."

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
X pipe sounds too raspy to me. Story I got was the X pipe produces more top end hp...whereas the H pipe produces more lower to mid range tq..which is what I wanted for a street car. Boost is just a measure of back pressure in the intake manifold.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If retaining the stock cats, an X crossover doesn't sound nearly as raspy when compared to running an off-road mid-pipe setup. I run "Pypes" cut n clamp X pipe to the stock cat down pipes with Borla ATAK axle backs. Other than just a slightly higher exhaust tone over an H-pipe, I don't really notice very much rasp at all. However, if running a high-flow catted or off-road X setup without using mid-mounted resonators/mufflers? you'll more than likely encounter increased sound levels of rasp for sure lol.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If retaining the stock cats, an X crossover doesn't sound nearly as raspy when compared to running an off-road mid-pipe setup. I run "Pypes" cut n clamp X pipe to the stock cat down pipes with Borla ATAK axle backs. Other than just a slightly higher exhaust tone over an H-pipe, I don't really notice very much rasp at all. However, if running a high-flow catted or off-road X setup without using mid-mounted resonators/mufflers? you'll more than likely encounter increased sound levels of rasp for sure lol.

Points well taken. I do have a hi-flow catted H... and it was stupid loud..and way too much drone at 1900 rpm. So in went a pair of SS Pypes M80 resonators, welded into place.... just before rear axle, problem solved. Knocked the level way down (still loud)..and drone almost gone, but a bit left.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
X-pipe is slightly better at balancing flows through the mufflers and knocking down peak backpressures, but only a little.

My guess is that an X-pipe would benefit a turbocharger installation slightly more than it would a supercharger installation of comparable output.

Norm

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I keep mis-reading it as xpipe vs hippie and briefly get excited thinking this is gonna be some protest gone wild video

GriffX

Reaction score
I remember an Engine Masters episode on Motortrend, there was little to no difference in horsepower, but with NA engine.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Coke vs. Pepsi is really what this is.

With my fox body, my favorite exhaust combo was Kooks 1 7/8" headers, 3" Dr. Gas X-pipe and spintech 3" pro street mufflers behind a 393W. That snarl was awesome.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
X it all! If I have to replace a midpipe, it gets an Xpipe. Be it a stock Grand Marquis, or my track toy. From a design standpoit, it has to equalize the flow better than an H.
That is what is on my 91 fox, and the coyote. You can hear them both in my track day videos.

Reaction score
From my experience, H-pipe sounds a bit deeper and gives that rumble, X-pipe is more aggressive sounding and has more rasp to it. Though the end sound depends on your cats, muffler, headers, resonator, and even the material the exhaust system is made of. Also, supercharger makes it louder and turbo tends to slightly muffle it. But when it comes to the power, having cats and a muffler will make more of a difference than the shape of your pipes, X-pipes are slightly better at scavenging, but not enough to say its better.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back