You guys W/Strokers

Reaction score
I'm looking at my options, and I'm wondering about mileage, how long will a 3.75 or 3.8 last? I know it all depends on how it's driven, maintained and how much power it produces.
Any of you guys have a ton of miles on a stroker???? will they go 50-100K, I drive the shit out of my car, (19K last year) and don't want to build an engine every year. I've had long stroke short rod combos, and they seem to wear the cylinders out, maybe this isn't a prob. with mod motors?

Thanks
Walt

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
If you cant afford to rebuild it, dont build it. I have a 3.75 stroker and no problems, but its not a DD. I put about 5 miles a week on it driving it to work on Mustang Fridays.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had about 1500 miles on my 302 stroker. The pistons that weren't melted after I lost a fuel pump looked good. I was running 21 psi on 93 octane and had no problems until fuel pump took a crap at 7200 rpms.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
If it is built right, a stroker will last as long as any other engine.

Reaction score
If you cant afford to rebuild it, dont build it. I have a 3.75 stroker and no problems, but its not a DD. I put about 5 miles a week on it driving it to work on Mustang Fridays.

Oh lets see, 5 miles a week times 52 weeks a year =260 miles a year, your about as much help as Hemroids.

I had about 1500 miles on my 302 stroker. The pistons that weren't melted after I lost a fuel pump looked good. I was running 21 psi on 93 octane and had no problems until fuel pump took a crap at 7200 rpms.

don't want to get off track, but did it rev as freely as a stock stroke 4.6L?

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score

that's just a stupid fucking comment, next time just keep it to yourself.

OP, good question and i would like to see some responses too. i've heard that strokers don't hold up long term like a stock motor will. i'm thinking that when i build my engine i will just go with stock specs just fordged so i can turn up the boost.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
that's just a stupid fucking comment, next time just keep it to yourself.

OP, good question and i would like to see some responses too. i've heard that strokers don't hold up long term like a stock motor will. i'm thinking that when i build my engine i will just go with stock specs just fordged so i can turn up the boost.
what makes that comment stupid?

id never put a stroker in a 4.6...the gains just arent worth the cost. one could build a solid .020 over motor and make plenty of power.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
If it is built right, a stroker will last as long as any other engine.

+1. I sold my 2000 GT with a stroked 2-valve. It had about 7500 miles on it when I sold it. The new owner drives it every day. With VT stage 2 N/A cams and 4.10s it'd pop to 6500 in no time. Never had any trouble with it in that regard.

I would say the gains would be minimal unless you're looking at a big mod list.

Reaction score
looking at a big bore setup for the cubes, us N/A guys need all the cubes we can get, the price for a stock stroke big bore short block is only a couple hundred less then a big bore stroker, my ported big valve heads and FRPP 3V intake, along with my bolt-ons that are on my stock block will go on top of the new engine.
If I plan it out right, I can always add a small amount of power adder later:thumb2:

Reaction score

id never put a stroker in a 4.6...the gains just arent worth the cost. one could build a solid .020 over motor and make plenty of power.

The cost difference is $300.00 from the stock stroke to stroker crank, adding 22 cu in. is worth it for $300 if it will last.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score

I thought it was a stupid fucking questions, hence the stupid comment.

As far as putting a stroker in the car, I would have done it no matter if I drove the car every day or not. I have 2 friends with stroker motors who drive their cars everyday, one even drove it from El Paso to Ft benning. I drove my stroker from El Paso to Baton Rouge on a break in tune with no issues.

As far as power gains, who knows? Mine is bored .020 with a 3.75 stroke. The way I see it more cubes, more power. With a P1SC HO kit, stage II heads and cams I made right at 600 to the wheels.

The OP is worried about reliability. My point was, if you can't afford to replace it, don't "fix" whats not broke. Sure I only drive mine 5 miles a week, but I have confidence in my builder (me) and it would do just fine as a DD. So you can take your hemorrhoids (notice the sp, douche bag) and shove it up your ass you puss.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I thought it was a stupid fucking questions, hence the stupid comment.

As far as putting a stroker in the car, I would have done it no matter if I drove the car every day or not. I have 2 friends with stroker motors who drive their cars everyday, one even drove it from El Paso to Ft benning. I drove my stroker from El Paso to Baton Rouge on a break in tune with no issues.

As far as power gains, who knows? Mine is bored .020 with a 3.75 stroke. The way I see it more cubes, more power. With a P1SC HO kit, stage II heads and cams I made right at 600 to the wheels.

The OP is worried about reliability. My point was, if you can't afford to replace it, don't "fix" whats not broke. Sure I only drive mine 5 miles a week, but I have confidence in my builder (me) and it would do just fine as a DD. So you can take your hemorrhoids (notice the sp, douche bag) and shove it up your ass you puss.
um. i wasnt trash talking your response dude, so chill the fuck out.
all i was saying is the extra $ for a stroker isnt worth the power youre going to get from it.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
um. i wasnt trash talking your response dude, so chill the fuck out.
all i was saying is the extra $ for a stroker isnt worth the power youre going to get from it.

Wasnt trash talking ya bro, I just got side tracked, besides I dont take this internet shit serious anyway.

To Fast 64 you said you can get it (stroker crank) for $300 more, to me it would be worth it. But Hey what do I know its only been in my car for 2 years...LOL

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at my options, and I'm wondering about mileage, how long will a 3.75 or 3.8 last? I know it all depends on how it's driven, maintained and how much power it produces.
Any of you guys have a ton of miles on a stroker???? will they go 50-100K, I drive the shit out of my car, (19K last year) and don't want to build an engine every year. I've had long stroke short rod combos, and they seem to wear the cylinders out, maybe this isn't a prob. with mod motors?

Thanks
Walt
Walt,

I don't have a lot of miles on this Mustang New 302 Stroker yet.
But to answer your question I plan on putting a lot of miles on it.
It has 28K Miles on it before I did the 302 Stroker a few weeks back at Brenspeed.
If your interested check the Link out below.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51952

Oh and speaking of mileage I got 16.5 MPG at 75 MPH (Cruise Control) on the way Home from Brenspeed a few weeks back.
It has 800 plus miles on it right now.

tigerhonaker

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
looking at a big bore setup for the cubes, us N/A guys need all the cubes we can get, the price for a stock stroke big bore short block is only a couple hundred less then a big bore stroker, my ported big valve heads and FRPP 3V intake, along with my bolt-ons that are on my stock block will go on top of the new engine.
If I plan it out right, I can always add a small amount of power adder later:thumb2:

I'm thinking a big bore boss with standard stroke could be done for under $3k depending on machine shop costs.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Wasnt trash talking ya bro, I just got side tracked, besides I dont take this internet shit serious anyway.

To Fast 64 you said you can get it (stroker crank) for $300 more, to me it would be worth it. But Hey what do I know its only been in my car for 2 years...LOL
lol. i just re-read a couple of the posts and saw things i overlooked. my bad.

and if the stroker crank is just an additional $300, then hey why not right?

i think there are some hidden costs though.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well a lot I'd say 50% of the people on this forum that have FI couldn't just spend 8k on building a new block directly from their bank account. I want something that will last for a while reliably.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stroker crank is only $300ish but then you will need new rods and pistons to go along with it.

My 302 stroker revved really easy to 7300 rpm where the rev limiter was set. I'll post a video tomorrow of it on the dyno with the kenne bell. I also had a loose converter in it so it would jump straight to peak torque (4800 rpm).

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
302 cubic inches with stock stroke.

Boss block $1210 http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/par...iteid=214771&categoryID=120041&subcat1=120738

3.700" Manley flat top pistons $450 + $174 for rings = $624 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MANL...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

H-Beam connecting rods with arp 2k bolts $470 http://www.modmaxracing.com/product_p/65025400.htm

$200 for bearings and seals. Re use your stock crank = $2500 for parts + hone, balance, file fit rings. Should be right around $3k.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I've got about 11k miles on my stroker since November 2009. Still runs great and my leakdown test seems pretty good too. I just need to re-check one cylinder which seemed higher than the others but it was still a good number.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back