2006 Mustang GT - S550 interior, 7.3 Godzilla, 10r80

Scott88

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. This is both inspirational and informative. I'm doing something similar, only without any of the expertise you have. I'm especially having trouble getting the heater box and door motors/switches to marry up with the donor vehicle CPU and control module. It looks like you used the donor HVAC, but for the motors/switches inside the doors, did you just completely bypass the control module and connect it independently to fuses/power?

Also, did you use the original evap system, fuel lines, and fuel pump that were on the S197? My 2005 already had 2 lines running to the rear, but I'm told it was a return less system. How did you tackle that?

zackmd1

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. This is both inspirational and informative. I'm doing something similar, only without any of the expertise you have. I'm especially having trouble getting the heater box and door motors/switches to marry up with the donor vehicle CPU and control module. It looks like you used the donor HVAC, but for the motors/switches inside the doors, did you just completely bypass the control module and connect it independently to fuses/power?

Also, did you use the original evap system, fuel lines, and fuel pump that were on the S197? My 2005 already had 2 lines running to the rear, but I'm told it was a return less system. How did you tackle that?

So for the doors I pulled the wiring diagrams from motorcraftservice.com. From there I matched circuits and wired up the donor harness to the original door harness. Only thing I could not retain was the auto function for the passenger door window as that function is handled differently 2010 and up. Everything else is fully functional.

I doubt the S197 hvac would work with the modern harness. I looked into it before deciding to go with a full interior swap.

So there will be two OEM hard-lines, the smaller one is the fuel line and the larger is the EVAP vent line. You will NOT be able to use the 05-09 fuel pump and sending unit if you plan on using a 2010+ gauge cluster. Ford reversed the OHM range for the fuel senders. You can try and swap the fuel senders onto your OEM fuel pump or you can swap in an entire 2010+ tank. I went with the fuel tank. Also as I just discovered, if you are using a Gen 3 PCM, you will need a Gen 3 fuel pump as the max fuel pressure changed from 4 bar to 6 bar.

The rest of the EVAP system is stock 06 and can be wired up to the new harness.

DieHarder

Reaction score
I think you should write a manual on this swap (if you're willing). Fantastic work and more layers of details here than most can imagine.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Coolant overflow could have gone in the OEM location. The issue I had with the air filter was two part… Custom lines for the ABS module were a bit too high resulting in nothing more then a 3.5” diameter pipe being able to fit between it and the hood. That issue was compounded by the location of the alternator, preventing a different routing of the intake tube.

I will be working on a new intake design that sits above the radiator, between the hood, and straight in front of the TB. That should make it very easy to isolate from the engine bay and pull fresh air right from the grille area.

347B1EE6-FC2A-4F8C-BD1A-F33D4FBA7304.png

Scott88

Reaction score
From there I matched circuits and wired up the donor harness to the original door harness
Thanks, I also looked up the wiring diagrams, but couldn't figure this out as the locking mechanism and windows had disimilar/asymetric wiring setups. I also tried to use the 2018 fuel tank entirely, but when I put the car on the ground, there wasn't enough clearance for the drive-shaft. So I took it back out and put the old one back in, but luckly the fuel pump for the 2018 tank fit easily into the 2005 tank. Thanks for the tips!

zackmd1

Reaction score
Thanks, I also looked up the wiring diagrams, but couldn't figure this out as the locking mechanism and windows had disimilar/asymetric wiring setups. I also tried to use the 2018 fuel tank entirely, but when I put the car on the ground, there wasn't enough clearance for the drive-shaft. So I took it back out and put the old one back in, but luckly the fuel pump for the 2018 tank fit easily into the 2005 tank. Thanks for the tips!
I’ll see if I can find my schematics for the doors. It will be for a 2017 so there might be some differences but it should give you a starting point.

zackmd1

Reaction score
IMG_3993.jpegIMG_3994.jpegIMG_3995.jpegIMG_3996.jpeg
Door wiring. Handwritten to the left is 2017, schematic is 2006.

Jwood562

Reaction score
WOW. all I can say is WOW.

the attention to detail, the skills, the knowledge. all of it is incredible.

what is your full time job? It better/should be full time builder and fabricator

zackmd1

Reaction score
WOW. all I can say is WOW.

the attention to detail, the skills, the knowledge. all of it is incredible.

what is your full time job? It better/should be full time builder and fabricator
Mechanical Engineering!

Back