2013 5.0 Guys - Heads-up on Upcoming Update

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, I am super pissed. 3200 miles and the car is in the shop because it is undrivable.

I headed out to go buy a car for my daughter and didn't make it 2 miles away from my house before the "check engine" light came on, the car nosed down and 30 seconds later it was in limp mode. Car had over 45 problem codes listed. The top occurrences are "multiple random misfires" and cylinders number 1, 2 and 8 independent misfire.

I talked to the GM at my dealership. We already started the paperwork and record keeping for me to leverage the lemon laws here in VA. They have 3 chances to fix it or I get a new car. Seeing as in how they don't know how to fix it for anyone else yet... I am guessing that wont be a hard bar to reach.

DAMN!

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
They have 3 chances to fix it or I get a new car.
DAMN!

Yea, good luck with that. I've had two "lemons (including one against Ford)," and they rarely just admit that they failed to repair it and give you a new car. There are any number of defenses to the lemon laws that they invoke.

You have to get an attorney to push the issue. Usually ends up in them paying for your attorney and giving you enough cash to go away (and trade in the car, if you choose). But, it takes a year.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yea, good luck with that. I've had two "lemons (including one against Ford)," and they rarely just admit that they failed to repair it and give you a new car. There are any number of defenses to the lemon laws that they invoke.

You have to get an attorney to push the issue. Usually ends up in them paying for your attorney and giving you enough cash to go away (and trade in the car, if you choose). But, it takes a year.

Yea, I had to deal with this with a motorcycle back in 2000. I had a bad Yamaha V-Star. The bike went down the street leaning to the right, the front suspension was jacked, and it chewed up tires at the rate of about 1,000 miles max.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and got a lawyer involved. Only took me about a month though. To avoid going to court, the dealer ate the bike because Yamaha refused to do anything about it.

They took the bike back on a trade. They gave me 100% of the "new" sale price of the bike as the trade value, and then sold me a 2001 Road Star. The new Road Star was $11,500 MSRP. They gave it to me for $5,000 out the door for the aggravation.

Yamaha doesn't know how lucky they are to have that one specific dealer. I have some friends in the news industry that where gonna make a big deal about it on local NBC News for me. And local for me is the DC metro area (DC/MD/VA). Nothing is as bad for business as a major reputable TV news station telling an couple million people how your company screwed someone.

That blows.

Hey Matt! What's up man. Don't think I talked to you since I've been back. Hope all is well.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Turned 4600 miles today. Still no issues.

Yesterday I put about 260 miles on the car, drove all highway, some quick blasts to 100+ while in a small convoy of Chargers heading to a car show, and drove back with the cruise set at 60 most of the way, watching the "Avg Econ" gauge show about 26 mpg :)

No issues whatsoever, PLUS I got almost 300 miles out of a tank of gas ... the most ever for me ... lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, Ford said they confirmed the issue, don't have a fix and said sorry about your luck... come get your car. No loaner, no "we'll let you know", just have to take the risk of getting stuck while I drive to work every day.

I am super pissed. I haven't had it long enough to make my first payment yet. They didn't even try to fix it. The dealer can't get approval from Ford to do/try anything. So the dealer filed a complaint with Ford on my behalf. I filed a complaint with Ford customer relations.

I also talked with the the dealership about possibly getting Ford to buy the car back. They said there are ways to do it because of how new the car is without having to wait for the lemon laws, etc. They brought it up. We'll see how that goes.

In the mean time my lawyer has been briefed, got a copy of all my paperwork and if Ford doesn't fix this within a reasonable time frame, I am filing a civil case. Looks like not honoring their warranty and specifically not even trying to fix it, they are breaking several state and federal consumer protection laws.

I'm doing ok, stationed at Ft. Dix now, it is interesting and different to say the least.

I hope it's not like Polk. LOL

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this.

Did you take it to the dealership where it was purchased? Reason I ask is this: For all intent, dealerships only make money when they fix something -- they get very little for diagnosis. Where they really bring in the money is when they can fix something that is routine and get it done faster than the hours for which Ford pays them.

This sets up a system in which they have no real motivation for tackling problems where the issue is not evident. In other words, if they can't get it fixed and out quickly, they are more inclined to send you packing.

However, usually the dealership where you purchased the car is a little more accommodating.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Hell the dealership I got mine from sucked both on the sales side and the service side. Never again will I return to that dealership.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I know I've seen at least one other thread on the flashing cel/random misfire issue and the fix was to replace the PCM.

I definitely feel for you man. Ford service is terrible. I had issues with my brand new 2011 that Ford refused to fix, but I just gave up the fight and fixed it myself. Unfortunately that's not possible when you're talking about a PCM replacement.

Good luck!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this definitely sounds like a toasted PCM. I can't believe your dealer didn't even TRY to fix it. Screw them.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'll take a TSB driving a 6-speed than a non-TSB boring Auto anyday. LOL!!!

Mine drives fine with a little over 200 miles on the clock now!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

I have a 2011 GT M6. I put 250 miles on her yesterday alone. LOL!

Well, I am super pissed. 3200 miles and the car is in the shop because it is undrivable.

I headed out to go buy a car for my daughter and didn't make it 2 miles away from my house before the "check engine" light came on, the car nosed down and 30 seconds later it was in limp mode. Car had over 45 problem codes listed. The top occurrences are "multiple random misfires" and cylinders number 1, 2 and 8 independent misfire.

I talked to the GM at my dealership. We already started the paperwork and record keeping for me to leverage the lemon laws here in VA. They have 3 chances to fix it or I get a new car. Seeing as in how they don't know how to fix it for anyone else yet... I am guessing that wont be a hard bar to reach.

DAMN!

Brother, that just sucks ass.

I'd rather take a year, and continue to document issues with the car, than keep it for life and continue having issues until the warranty is out.

My first Trailblazer was a lemon. Took me 6 months and a lawyer to get it replaced and then, I went with a Trailblazer SS for the same price as the Trailblazer I had previously as a "Good will to customer upgrade" from Chevy. The dealership broke the one cardinal rule about warranty claims and lemon laws. They put it in writing that I was being a pain in their ass over the vehicle and was not welcome back in their dealership. I went back regardless and they called the cops on me and had me charged with trespassing and had me banned legally from the dealership. I never so much as raised my voice the whole time I dealt with them. They fucked themselves though and are now closed after Chevy got rid of a lot of dealerships.

I'm doing ok, stationed at Ft. Dix now, it is interesting and different to say the least.

Fort Dix absolutely sucks ass IMHO.

Well, Ford said they confirmed the issue, don't have a fix and said sorry about your luck... come get your car. No loaner, no "we'll let you know", just have to take the risk of getting stuck while I drive to work every day.

I am super pissed. I haven't had it long enough to make my first payment yet. They didn't even try to fix it. The dealer can't get approval from Ford to do/try anything. So the dealer filed a complaint with Ford on my behalf. I filed a complaint with Ford customer relations.

I also talked with the the dealership about possibly getting Ford to buy the car back. They said there are ways to do it because of how new the car is without having to wait for the lemon laws, etc. They brought it up. We'll see how that goes.

In the mean time my lawyer has been briefed, got a copy of all my paperwork and if Ford doesn't fix this within a reasonable time frame, I am filing a civil case. Looks like not honoring their warranty and specifically not even trying to fix it, they are breaking several state and federal consumer protection laws.

Get in touch with a Ford Customer Service Adviser. Get everything in writing. Request all conversations from the service adviser to be mailed to you in hard copy form. Email or snail, it doesn't matter. Every time you talk to someone, ask them for their name and ID number and make notes. This tends to get Ford's attention really fast.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this.

Did you take it to the dealership where it was purchased? Reason I ask is this: For all intent, dealerships only make money when they fix something -- they get very little for diagnosis. Where they really bring in the money is when they can fix something that is routine and get it done faster than the hours for which Ford pays them.

This sets up a system in which they have no real motivation for tackling problems where the issue is not evident. In other words, if they can't get it fixed and out quickly, they are more inclined to send you packing.

However, usually the dealership where you purchased the car is a little more accommodating.

Hell the dealership I got mine from sucked both on the sales side and the service side. Never again will I return to that dealership.

The car went to the dealer I bought it from, but my problem is not with the dealer, its Ford directly. The dealer said they know what the problem is, but Ford will not authorize them to take any steps to fix the car under warranty. It seems that Ford doesn't want to pass out control modules and is looking for a tune solution. I have to wait until they are good and ready to push a mass solution to the public. That may be a month or more.

If the dealer does anything, it's coming out of my pocket.

I know I've seen at least one other thread on the flashing cel/random misfire issue and the fix was to replace the PCM.

I definitely feel for you man. Ford service is terrible. I had issues with my brand new 2011 that Ford refused to fix, but I just gave up the fight and fixed it myself. Unfortunately that's not possible when you're talking about a PCM replacement.

Good luck!

Yeah, this definitely sounds like a toasted PCM. I can't believe your dealer didn't even TRY to fix it. Screw them.

Yea, I think you guys are right. There is a guy local to me that had the exact same problem. They gave him a new PCM and he has 600 miles with no issues. Considering I can't go to the top of my street without it acting up, 600 miles sound like the PCM swap solved his problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back