2013 5.0 Guys - Heads-up on Upcoming Update

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Get in touch with a Ford Customer Service Adviser. Get everything in writing. Request all conversations from the service adviser to be mailed to you in hard copy form. Email or snail, it doesn't matter. Every time you talk to someone, ask them for their name and ID number and make notes. This tends to get Ford's attention really fast.

Good advice. I have an open case with Ford and have started the documentation process. I also have my attorney up to speed and in a holding pattern at 30,000 feet.

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll have to let my son know about these issues.

He's been having his car for about 6 months, not sure the miles.
but as far as I know, he hasn't had any issues.

He car is tuned though, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

HC_Tad

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good advice. I have an open case with Ford and have started the documentation process. I also have my attorney up to speed and in a holding pattern at 30,000 feet.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope it all works out well in the end.

dineau

Reaction score
I'll have to let my son know about these issues.

He's been having his car for about 6 months, not sure the miles.
but as far as I know, he hasn't had any issues.

He car is tuned though, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

That's a good question, do you think aftermarket tunes could resolve this issue ?

Anyone here has done some test to see what's different in 2013 oem tune vs 2011 and 2012 ?

Because I assume if te basetune is different, that means that tunners will have to take it into consideration when making tunes for 2013 ?

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's a good question, do you think aftermarket tunes could resolve this issue ?

Anyone here has done some test to see what's different in 2013 oem tune vs 2011 and 2012 ?

Because I assume if te basetune is different, that means that tunners will have to take it into consideration when making tunes for 2013 ?

Could be just something different on Ford's end of the tune.

I would think tuners end would be the same.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of taking peoples names and taking notes, if nothing else it will help you in court. Also as previously stated, Ft. Dix does pretty much blow.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The '13 5.0 is not fundamentally different than the '11-12. I don't see why the tune would cause this. I think there was a bad batch of PCMs.

I still cannot fathom why the dealer won't at least attempt a PCM swap. Sure, corporate wouldn't reimburse them for it, but having a "lemon" associated with their dealership is bad publicity.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The '13 5.0 is not fundamentally different than the '11-12. I don't see why the tune would cause this. I think there was a bad batch of PCMs.

I still cannot fathom why the dealer won't at least attempt a PCM swap. Sure, corporate wouldn't reimburse them for it, but having a "lemon" associated with their dealership is bad publicity.

They could try to get Ford to pay for the PCM at least.
PCM's are on Ford's prior-approval list, meaning you have to call in to a Ford hotline to explain to them the diagnosis steps you took that leads you to believe that the PCM is at fault, then they give you an approval number to proceed with the warranty claim of replacing the PCM.

I've had several claims when we put in a new PCM and told Ford we installed a "known good" PCM which cured the problem, so we're seeking approval to proceed with the repair of installing a new PCM (which we had already done at that point LOL).

Tricky, but we got the approval number we needed to proceed with fixing the car and the dealership getting paid for the claim.

I no longer work there and won't say where that was, since there are many different eyes reading these threads, but I'm a firm believer that where there's a will, there's a way.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score

They could try to get Ford to pay for the PCM at least.
PCM's are on Ford's prior-approval list, meaning you have to call in to a Ford hotline to explain to them the diagnosis steps you took that leads you to believe that the PCM is at fault, then they give you an approval number to proceed with the warranty claim of replacing the PCM.

I've had several claims when we put in a new PCM and told Ford we installed a "known good" PCM which cured the problem, so we're seeking approval to proceed with the repair of installing a new PCM (which we had already done at that point LOL).

I wonder if the PCM's are locked to the vehicle by VIN once installed like they are with the Mercedes I work on. With current and even recent production vehicles, it is now impossible to test fit a PCM from another car.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the PCM's are locked to the vehicle by VIN once installed like they are with the Mercedes I work on. With current and even recent production vehicles, it is now impossible to test fit a PCM from another car.

Yes, they are. You cannot "borrow" a friend's PCM and just plug it in. It must be coded with the VIN from the dealer. The PCM, transmission, gauge cluster, etc. must all match.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yeah, PCM's must be programmed to the car before they'll work ... info from old PCM must be uploaded to the new one or the new PCM has to be programmed with "as-built" data that the tech downloads from Ford.

Bald Menace

forum member
Reaction score
going through the exact same scenario on my 2013 right now. car is headed to the dealer monmday for trip number two and i barely have 1000 miles on it. I am getting documentation for every visit and then will go to BBB for help to get car bought back. Grrrrr

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Damn... sorry to hear bro. I feel you pain. I'm in the process myself. Pretty sad when it comes to getting a lawyer involved to get treated right.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
going through the exact same scenario on my 2013 right now. car is headed to the dealer monmday for trip number two and i barely have 1000 miles on it. I am getting documentation for every visit and then will go to BBB for help to get car bought back. Grrrrr

The better biz bureau will have zero pull in getting help with the car being bought back...all the bbb is a service that rates you...nothing beyond and businesses have to be a member...they hold no weight except the buiz's that are apart of them avoiding negative feed back and/or abritration...but beyond that not much...most dealers when talking about buyimg back a car will take the bbb hit and call it a day...

this will probably be lawyer involved situation...which sycks for sure!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The better biz bureau will have zero pull in getting help with the car being bought back...all the bbb is a service that rates you...nothing beyond and businesses have to be a member...they hold no weight except the buiz's that are apart of them avoiding negative feed back and/or abritration...but beyond that not much...most dealers when talking about buyimg back a car will take the bbb hit and call it a day...

this will probably be lawyer involved situation...which sycks for sure!!!

Dude... hate to be the barer of bad news, but you are 100% completely wrong. The BBB is state sponsored agency (in most cases) that provides businesses with accreditation, but they also facilitate arbitration between purchasers and sellers in the U.S. as a non-bias 3rd party via a 3rd party contract. Of course both the buyer and seller need to agree to use the service in light of going to court.

The seller does not have to be accredited by BBB to arbitrate an issue and the buyer and seller (accredited or not) often choose to arbitrate via the BBB as an effort to avoid civil action in court and to move the issue along at an accelerated rate. If the buyer or seller do not agree with the findings, either can appeal those decisions via a civil case which can always be pursued, but the BBB findings often carry heavy weight in court.

Oh, I almost forgot, if a business is BBB accredited and the buyer wants to use the service, if the seller disagrees, they could loose their accreditation; especially if the courts find against a accredited seller on an issue. Often, that gives the BBB the "teeth" they need to be considered an authority in our capitalist society.

I know all of this because the BBB in VA is who was arbitrating my case about my motorcycle back in 2000/2001. The BBB found on my behalf and Yamaha was going to appeal in court, but the local dealer squashed the issue, so I dropped the case.

Last edited:

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
Dude... hate to be the barer of bad news, but you are 100% completely wrong. The BBB is state sponsored agency (in most cases) that provides businesses with accreditation, but they also facilitate arbitration between purchasers and sellers in the U.S. as a non-bias 3rd party via a 3rd party contract. Of course both the buyer and seller need to agree to use the service in light of going to court.

The seller does not have to be accredited by BBB to arbitrate an issue and the buyer and seller (accredited or not) often choose to arbitrate via the BBB as an effort to avoid civil action in court and to move the issue along at an accelerated rate. If the buyer or seller do not agree with the findings, either can appeal those decisions via a civil case which can always be pursued, but the BBB findings often carry heavy weight in court.

Oh, I almost forgot, if a business is BBB accredited and the buyer wants to use the service, if the seller disagrees, they could loose their accreditation; especially if the courts find against a accredited seller on an issue. Often, that gives the BBB the "teeth" they need to be considered an authority in our capitalist society.

I know all of this because the BBB in VA is who was arbitrating my case about my motorcycle back in 2000/2001. The BBB found on my behalf and Yamaha was going to appeal in court, but the local dealer squashed the issue, so I dropped the case.

you just proved my case...you will still need to.laywer up and go to court...unless its a governement mandated accredation, its not end all and be all like you seem to claim.it is..its a choice to be a part of it and and thousands of businesses are not a part of it...because frankly its a f----king joke...ask me how i know...i own my own business and do my father and grand father have for years...the accredatation is paid for and NOT required, hell i can start a company that you can pay to be acrredited by...whether its state sponsored or not my point still stands, you gotta go court, the bbb alone wont solve anything.

as for the bike thing...dude your comapring a used bike thats worth like 7k max and a 30k+ car. you habe to understand that businesses run based on what maximizing profit or costing them the least. so using your example...the dealer was going to probably have to pay yamaha, some guys to go to court, maybe get their own laywer, pay a girl in the office to get a bunch of paper work in order...it probably would have cost them more...but when your talking 30k+, it wont be so easy...

to give you a similar scenario...my dad had a lady get hurt at his property and was going to take him to court...my dad was ready to go and the insurance comapny said it was lock for him to win the battle...but they ran the numbers and and spoke with the lady and she was willig to settle for way less then what it would have cost to go to court, so they paid her...its all about the almighty dollar and if its not maximizes profit, its minimizing loss...

yeah the bbb will helpnin court...but again, you can file a complaint but that doesnt solve the matter...it simply puts them on notice, thats really it...

i can also say, ive never once heard someone say...i only buy from.places that are a part of the bbb...you never hear that...because the only time.anyone gives a sh*t about it, is if they have trouble...ive also seen very profitable businesses have terrible bbb ratings, because again they werent going to lay down for someone who files something agianst the bbb, again because its not a mandate to have by any body of governement, so they dont care.

i dont disagree you shouldnt file a complaint with them...but i have a sneaking suspision it will go way beyond and wont stop at them as you think it will...

but im on your side and really hope you get it all resolved in your favor and hope that you can avoid court.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back