2013 5.0 Guys - Heads-up on Upcoming Update

Bald Menace

forum member
Reaction score
Emoticons to the rescue.

Well guys... bad news I'm afraid. :pissed1: My car has less than 1,000 miles on it with the new tune and it is now doing the exact same thing. The CEL came on twice today and the misfires were so bad that I could hardly get the car to move.

To make thinks worse for me, my other GT did it on Saturday.

I'm actually hoping mine does it again, that will be the 4th time for same issue and i will be going lemon law buyback through BBB here in Oregon, i'm through with the car one way or the other. betweeen the crappy shifting transmission, the horrible wheelhop and this issue i truly regret buying a 6 speed track pack car. my 2011 auto equipped 5.0 was head and shoulders above this 2013

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Eh shit Fords in deep shit now...

Yeah, cuz no other manufacturer has ever been through something like this.

My '13 6-speed Track Pack car has almost 6,000 miles on it now and it doesn't do this.
It's a fairly early '13 too, since I took delivery on August 11th, and the car arrived about 1 week earlier than that, built a good month earlier than THAT.

I feel sorry for the owners that are having this issue, but I also believe that Ford will get a fix out eventually.

I hope that everybody that's having the PCM re-flashed is dealing with a dealership that updated their IDS so that it actually has the current software that has the fix ...

cudaman

Reaction score
you know what they say, if it wasn't for bad luck...

I don't suppose they swapped out the ECU "and" gave it a reflash too, did they? Could be two problems, both hardware and software, running simultaneously to give you bad luck. After a few visits to fix under warranty, one would think they would start "fresh" and give you a new ECU, get the right firmware/software loaded, and have you test it out again. If that situation proves unfruitful, then you may have another warrantied item(s) going bad.... which would keep your bad luck going..... fuel pressure regulator, or something in fuel delivery......

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The dealer did a flash... no hardware replacements. The re-tune is amazing. After the adaptive tuning got the car where it wants to be with timing and AFR, it has been a total beast.

Before the re-tune I had intermittent performance issues such as significant loss of power with no determinable pattern, misfires, and the car going into limp-mode along with the CEL and random misfire entries.

After the re-tune the car does not experience any performance problems at all until the CEL comes on and the misfires start. Once the CEL and misfires subside, the car runs like a champ again. So there was definitely an improvement.

I did some observing while the issue was occurring. The problem is 100% repeatable whenever the car is in Open Loop mode (or the current equivalent). Open loop isn't just when the car is cold, its also used in low RPM and low/partial pedal (as well as at some other points). Here is what I found for my car...

- Gear selection of 3 or 4
- engine RPM at or about 3,000 rpm and slight fluctuation of less than +/- 250 RPM
- Cold Open Loop - CHT < 190 - every single time
- Warm Open Loop - CHT > 190 - occasionally

When the misfire occurs and the CEL is on, the AFR goes to 20:1 (pegs meter) when stepping on the gas and drops to 12-14:1 when decelerating. This is the exact opposite to normal running. Normal running when you step on the gas the AFR stays around 14:1 and when coasting in gear it leans out to 20:1... pegging the meter. I also noticed that my real-time fuel economy gauge says 40 MPG during the CEL and misfires.

I passed this info on to Ford.

Bald Menace

forum member
Reaction score
my car has a horrible surge when cold now, it had a little bit of one before but now it's very bad

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the owners that are having this issue, but I also believe that Ford will get a fix out eventually.

You mean like they fixed the MT82 for the 11/12 owners? I wouldn't hold my breath. I've driven both 11/12 cars and 13 cars, something is dramatically different in the transmission, and others have said the same.

My point is that it certainly appears Ford will do everything within their power to avoid fixing major issues. If they won't replace the ECU/PCM I would get a lawyer to lemon law it or just trade it in on another one and hope for better luck.

11GT50

Reaction score
my car has a horrible surge when cold now, it had a little bit of one before but now it's very bad
What is the surge like? My 2011 has had a surge after cold startup or after sitting for a period of time. I had it at the dealer for this three months or so after I bought it new but they said they couldn't find anything. I've dealt with it ever since. Every now and then I'll disconnect the battery and the cold start surging goes away for a week or so then comes back.

OkieSnuffBox

forum member
Reaction score
You mean like they fixed the MT82 for the 11/12 owners? I wouldn't hold my breath. I've driven both 11/12 cars and 13 cars, something is dramatically different in the transmission, and others have said the same.

That's frightening, I think the tranmission in my '13 GT sucks. 3rd kind of "chunks" into gear regardless, and I could swear it's starting to sound like it's whining a bit in only 3rd.

Only 2300 miles.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The dealer just called me. He said the reflash was done wrong. The proper TSB and supporting "how-to" documents weren't released until yesterday. It seems there are two separate components that needed to be serviced. One was the reflash and the other is some kind of table relating to the adaptive tuning needing to be reset to erase all the old values.

I'm going to go pick it up... lets see what the next 1,000 miles bring.

EDIT: Just picked it up. Receipt says "relearn misfire protocol"

Last edited:

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, cuz no other manufacturer has ever been through something like this.

My '13 6-speed Track Pack car has almost 6,000 miles on it now and it doesn't do this.
It's a fairly early '13 too, since I took delivery on August 11th, and the car arrived about 1 week earlier than that, built a good month earlier than THAT.

I hope that everybody that's having the PCM re-flashed is dealing with a dealership that updated their IDS so that it actually has the current software that has the fix ...

Did I say no other manufacturers been through this? No. We're talking Ford's here. I said this because Ford's quality has been lackluster IMO. The #8, the MT-82, and now this. There's no doubt Ford will have a fix for this. They have to fix it. The thing we don't know is how many people have this problem.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Did I say no other manufacturers been through this? No. We're talking Ford's here. I said this because Ford's quality has been lackluster IMO. The #8, the MT-82, and now this. There's no doubt Ford will have a fix for this. They have to fix it. The thing we don't know is how many people have this problem.

According to the Ford Engineering Rep I have spoken to, 100% of all 2013 Mustang GT's with a manual transmission are affected by this. It is a manufacturing defect. Not all cars will see a CEL, but all 2013 Mustang GT's with a manual transmission are accumulating misfires in the logs. I don't know if a recall will be done, but the TSB has been issued for those who do see the CEL.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back