2v-3v Swap Cam Tech (under-powered) OMG WTF HELP!

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay, after cooking my brain I'm calling on the tech junkies to show me the light here. We're grasping at straws in a 3v swap into a '01 GT that took a serious turn for disappointment, and it's been one lead-lined wall after the next trying to sort through possible explainations. So here's the break down for you guys, if any additional info is needed, just let us know.

This motor is a stock 3v longblock, about 80k/mi. It's got most of the Logan Motorsports 3v swap components. IAC relocate, 05+ Fuel Rails/FPS adapter, 05+ MAF w/VMP MAF adapter, long tubes, O/R X, Flowmasters, 05+ JLT II (converted), Cobra TB, stock 3v WAP shortblock, stock heads, stock intake manifold w/Steeda Delete Plates, Steeda UDP. All this is in a 2001 GT, built 3650, Exedy Mach 400, FRPP 4.10's.

The cams are Comp Cams 127020 with BBR Phaser Lockouts.

We got the car dyno tuned wednesday, and this combo laid down 285whp/282wtq. I was expecting by using the phaser lockouts some top end loss and possible torque peak gain. As I understand, locking the phasers puts the cams at 0, with respects to factory cam degree. I've used my car as a base platform ('08 GT, as listed below) for the build combo. Stone stock, my car laid down 283whp/302wtq @10.5 AFR factory tune. With these cams, JLT II, and O/R X the car put down 330whp/325wtq. With the addition of the FRPP manifold and Long Tubes the car made 363/321wtq.

On the final build I also had the VCT "tune locked" as in the cam timing tables were all "0" and the car made 347whp. With the max cam timing being 17, it puts down 363. So a 16whp difference from phasers being allowed up to 17 degrees retard.

The '01 GT should have put down 300-320 by my assumption, and around the same torque. Obviously, it fell far short of that, and we can't figure out why. It barely makes a bolt-on 2v's power, and less torque. Tuner went through everything he could think of, maxed the spark advance 'til it didn't make any more power, AFR was tits on 12.8. There was nothing more he could tune for, and everything was working properly. We even tested the dyno to make sure it was accurate, it too was bang on.

The car's powerband pulls to 6200 at crest, as it should with these cams/manifold in combo. Even the hp/tq balance is as expected. Just the entire powerband is down on power by at least 30-50hp/tq by all rights.

We took the car on a street romping for further testing. The engine sounds like it's struggling, even "feels" like it's struggling to make power. It's like the engine is screaming, but the power's just not coming out. Hard to explain. All I can say, is it doesn't sound right, compared to the sound of my 3v. I understand the purpose of VCT and it's advantages in efficiency and extending top end power. But we overlayed my dyno runs against the '01 GT's, and it's simply down on power accross the entire curve. In other words, from 2k-5k where I have 0 cam timing, and he's locked out as well, I dwarf his curve in power, even though the curves are identical in slope.

All that said, so far we've covered a compression and leak-down test, both check out good. 145psi is the lowest, 153psi is the highest. Most are right on 150psi. All the valves held 100psi for the leakdown as well. We've inspected the cams/phasers to make sure the right cam is on the right head and what not, just to eliminate all possibilities. Tomorrow we'll be pulling the timing cover and checking chain timing, pulling the followers to make sure they're all true, and even phaser/cam alignment. To be honest I'm completely stumped. This is my build, it's proven already. If he made 300whp/300wtq I might not be so critical about it, at least it's close! Hell, weather could account for even 10whp/wtq, maybe a hair more even. But he's coming in 30-50hp/tq shy, which is considerably under a stock 3v. I'll also be contacting Keith Logan, who has had several successful 3v swaps that yield 300-310whp/320-330wtq with just CAI/LT/OR Pipes/Tune on stock cams locked out. Maybe he knows of something tune-wise, like a mystical check box a tuner is supposed to check or uncheck for 3v swaps(??)

One of our theories was that maybe the 127020's aren't meant to be locked out, and this is the cause of his major lack of power production, since the longblock checks out tight. The problem is, we're running out of cracks to look in for this missing power. It's a lot of power for this combo to not be making. We're contemplating swapping him to stock cams, as most of the other 3v swaps are based, and seeing what happens with his power. But I'd like to have a sound word of confirmation that this would be the correct route to look down, as it doesn't make sense for a stock cam to make bigger gains N/A over an aftermarket cam. The 127020's are by no means a radical cam, but over stock, it's been a major improvement in my build ups, why would locking them prove not only ineffective, but produce power LOSS.

Once we've eliminated the timing chains from being off timing, and cam/follows being true, where the hell do we look next???

Last edited:

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
What's the AFR you are getting? Also who is doing the tuning on it? Then make sure you are getting enough fuel. Sounds like it is leaning out to me. That's just my opinion though lol

Sent from Area 51

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Have you considered locking the cams in the full retard positron?
Or try dialing them in by locking both sides of the phaser vanes with custom lockouts and bring it in around 10 - 20 degrees retarded so you can fine tune the top end cam timing for best power. You could try BBR's adjustable cam gear set up for this.

http://www.blowbyracing.com/20mugtbbr3vc.html

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Fuel is Walbro 255, 39# Cobra injectors, stock lines/returnless setup. Nothing fancy, it's all been tuned for.

His Air/Fuel is 12.0~12.8, I can see black smoke at the top of a pass, so I know it's not leaning out.

No, we haven't considered throwing more money he doesnt have for BBR's gucci adjustable cam gears. We are considering taking the comp cams out in trade for stock cams, as they are the basic for 2v-3v swaps. Again, I personally don't see cam timing being the issue assuming the motor is timed correctly. 17 degrees of retard for me is worth 16whp. He's still short 30hp/tq for that combo at the minimum.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Just ruled out engine timing. Chains were timed correctly, not stretched or anything. Pulled the phasers, everything is still locked and looks good, so cam install is correct. I dunno WTF else makes power that isnt. Running out of ideas.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats the point of the swap if your locking out and disabling vct?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
3v computer isnt compatible with the SN-95 dash harness or PATS. Ford wants over $1200 for the IMRC/VCT control pak. Locking the cams allows the 3v heads to work with a 2v computer. A stock 3v makes what a 2v with bolt ons struggles to make. Most of the Logan Motorsports 3v swaps make 300/320. All locked with stock cams. It's not 100% optimal, but it's still a big step up from a 2v.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I made 274rwhp in my 2v with cai, accufab tb/plenum, longtubes and a diablo predator canned tune is my point. The 2v is still a very capable engine with whats out there now. Guys are getting close to 400rwhp with them na fully built with the twisted wedge heads and cams.

The biggest advantage powerwise other than the second intake valve is the vct, locking that out on a mild na 3v is going to hurt for sure.

Just playing devils advocate wondering if the cost and time to do the swap is going to be worth it in the end? Assuming the motor checks out and you cant find anything wrong.

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
It's already done. And has been done before, we're not the first. Total cost for this build sits somewhere around $1800. The fully built 2v's you speak of are $7,000+ builds and race gas motors usually, due to most being higher compression. Compare stock to stock, mod to mod, the 3v is more effective hands down. You need an aftermarket head and intake manifold to even think about taking a N/A 2v beyond ~320whp. That's just a cam swap for a 3v. VCT will get optimal performance from a cam, but a locked cam shouldnt drag ass like this. And we still haven't been able to prove if it is or isn't the cams being locked that's causing the motor to be down on power.

This isnt about absolute power. Remember as stated above, my car is a mirror of this builds potential. I have 0 VCT up 5,000rpm, and a max of 17 allowed. I gained 16rwhp from being tune locked at 0 VCT to 17 VCT. As I said, locking the cams N/A isnt optimal, but still produces.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
He doesnt have knock sensors, it's a 2v computer still. We considered detonation, but the dyno shows full spark through the band and steady 12.6-12.8 AFR. No spikes.

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
Those 127020 cams are ground with 11 deg. of advance in them for use with the factory VCT and limiters. If you are going to lock out the VCT, you need to make sure you retard the cams 7-9 degrees to get the engine to run properly in the mid to upper rpm power band. If you degree the cams in, set them up around 106 deg. ICL and you should be all set.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Would we be able to set the chain 1 or 2 teeth retard? On each cam? We dont have adjustable cam gears. Each tooth is worth 8.5 degrees correct?

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
Would we be able to set the chain 1 or 2 teeth retard? On each cam? We dont have adjustable cam gears. Each tooth is worth 8.5 degrees correct?

Cam specs are referenced in crank degrees, so 8.5 deg. cam is 17 deg. crank.....way too much movement to properly correct the ICL. Because you really have no idea of the tolerance stack up between the crank gear, chain, cam gear, etc. you need to degree the cams in to make sure they are installed in the correct position. The beauty of VCT is that the computer will take all of that into account and position the cams correctly, regardless of tolerance stack-up. Without VCT, you need to be a lot more careful about setting the cams up by degreeing them in.

Bottom line is that I don't think you have the cams installed on the correct ICL (intake center line) and your engine will not make the power it should until you get that corrected.

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Update: Niner was absolutely correct. We put stock cams in the car and drove it around the block, not only does the engine sound 100% healthier, it feels extremely torquey. Won't be able to do any WOT passes 'til next week on the dyno, but just at half throttle I can say it's a huge improvement.

Thanks to all who responded, we appreciate your attention. And a big thanks to Niner for saving this swap! Knowledge in this case, really is power. Future updates will be posted in our original 2v/3v swap thread in chit chat. Thanks again you guys! S197 Forum Tech FTMFW!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back