5.0 ? Whats so special about these mustangs,every one is going back to stock.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Not really sure on this but I think they're quicker than the 07-09 GT500s correct? Obviously doesn't take much for the GT500 to make ridiculous power but bone stock they really aren't impressive from what I've seen, I think

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
again, perspective.. however no one here is denying the ability of the 5.0 just not sure of some of the speculations being thrown out. Besides boost is fun.. That being said, I think wether a boosted 3v or a bolt-on 5.0 if you have a car in the 11's that you can drive anywhere. thats pretty damn good in my book :beerdrink:.

before someone says they don't run 11's I have seen an 07 with long tubes, slicks, and a vortech v3 non-cooled run 11:80's on a shitty track with shitty DA. SO if it's done right and someone can drive, then I fully believe mildy blown 3v's are easily capable of 11's.

Last edited:

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Gearing and 400+ rwhp. If your partners car is making 480 rwhp its running quite a bit of boost. Its not really a mildly boosted 3v. Ive seen plenty run 112-115 mph. Not too impressive to me.

My stock 3v with Paxton 2200 HO/3.48 pulley, Circle D convertor, gears, and stock suspension went 10.8's @ 126 on 93 pump gas, another member was there same day with the same basic setup, except his was a Procharger also running 10.8's with a 3v.

I will however agree the 5.0 has much better heads and is easily capable of making more power with less stress on the engine, but I wouldnt expect to see these 650 to 750 stock 5.0 FI engines living a long life.

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
^I'm at or very near the parameters you've mentioned. Over 1 year and still going strong - knock on wood!!!!!

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Hand_ofGod2.jpg

Its the new ls1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
ls1god3.jpg

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I completly disagree. $ for $ the 3v is not even close.

There is a reason a had a 2003 Cobra and then a 2011 Mustang 5.0 and nothing in between. The 3v was weak.

So let's do some math... Say u have 30k ... U can buy a 3v for 15 and throw in 15 into the mods ... Or buy a stock coyote with mayb a few bolt ons..... Sry but in this situation a 3v will walk all over the coyote. $$ for $$ 3v ftw

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So let's do some math... Say u have 30k ... U can buy a 3v for 15 and throw in 15 into the mods ... Or buy a stock coyote with mayb a few bolt ons..... Sry but in this situation a 3v will walk all over the coyote. $$ for $$ 3v ftw

Yeah! Put that in your pipe and smoke it you 5.0 bastards!

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
If you spent more than $5k and are going slower than 9s, then any $$ comparison is already lost.

There are quite a few nitrous LS1 early Z cars in DFW, just sayin.

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you spent more than $5k and are going slower than 9s, then any $$ comparison is already lost.

There are quite a few nitrous LS1 early Z cars in DFW, just sayin.

$$ comparison is in no way lost. At the end of the day ur spending a lot more money than I am to go faster than me ;)

mancha

forum member
Reaction score
I loved my 3V. Picked it up for 13k 3 years ago. The only reason I traded it in is it was starting to have some problems that were going to cost me a good amount of money to fix and the dealer gave me 10,600 for it, plus I got a killer deal on my 12 since the 13's were coming out. I've wanted one of these 5.0's since they came out. A 412hp stock car able to pull 12's in the quarter? Yes please. I do think the 05-09's are sexy when done up right. As far as power? The 5.0 takes the cake stock, but the 3V is the clear winner in bang for the buck department. This is of course all a matter of opinion.

wazslow

forum member
Reaction score

Thats a dumb argument. You can say that about any car. I can take a $2000 fox body and put $28000 in it and beat your 3v. Sounds ridiculous to me. If you take a new 5.0 and a 3V and spend equal money on them, the 3V doesnt have a chance.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol some 5.0 owners remind me of a certain subset of terminator owners. Dbags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

agreed..And a few remind me of Camaro owners..

Hopefully, no one is actually hating. I just see this as sitting around the bar, having a few cold ones and giving each other some shit.

Anyone with even a Camaro brain knows that a properly built FI'ed 3v is gonna smoke a bolt-on 5.0 given equal drivers.

I will run a 5.0 with boltons anytime..

Add forged rods to a 3V and you're good to go.

yup..

You sir are not alone. What a pathetic life I must live. Well I'll jump in my 5.0 to bring a smile to my face. :stir: LOL!

Cheap shot but well worth it.

And your an idiot who belongs on Camaro5..

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is without the new driveline the majority of guys who bought those cars wouldn't have done so. Nobody on this site spent another 15 grand after trade to get a bit nicer interior and stock suspension plus a few other gizmos. They did it because they wanted more power.

They took a paid for car that they could've dumped 12-15 into and had a 600+whp result. Got rid of it. And spent easily just as much money to get something that is 370whp out the gate that needs at least another 5 into it in order to get close to 600. Add in a new shortblock and you're spending more yet.

The argument isn't dumb or ridiculous. If I liked the foxbody you can believe it I would've got rid of this car a long time ago and built one of them. And saved a ton doing it. But this is s197forum not foxbodyforum or ls1forum.

To some people the money just isn't that important. I have zero problem with that. But let's not pretend it's a "better value" or more cost effective by going down this road.

killswitch06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thats a dumb argument. You can say that about any car. I can take a $2000 fox body and put $28000 in it and beat your 3v. Sounds ridiculous to me. If you take a new 5.0 and a 3V and spend equal money on them, the 3V doesnt have a chance.

But this is my argument exactly. The point I'm making is that yea the coyote is better but also for a bigger price tag. Consider that and the fact that I prefer the 05-09 body style over a coyote. At this point in time no matter how "superior" ur engine is, I will have a cheaper, better looking (IMO), probably faster car. Unless u have the money to show otherwise....

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A fully loaded 5.0 coupe has an MSRP of $43,000 ish..R E D I C U L O U S..And I sell the damn things..

LTX

Lava Red
Reaction score
Put it this way.. not everyone bought there car used..

I picked up my 09 gt around 40k and my 5.0 around there too.

Isn't that more of a apples to apples??

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It's somewhat apples to oranges yes. I understand that angle. However the fact remains. It costs more to take a bath on a trade, buy another new car, and build it vs. keeping what you had and working with it.

If you got the moneys and don't care about spending more dough then who cares. IDGAF and I know the people who went through with the whole trade in, buy a new one, and spend more on top of that are pretty happy with their choices. Cool!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back