aftermarket cams... 2011+ 5.0

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
has anyone experienced any after market cams yet? stage 1 2 or 3? what kind of power gains are possible off the stage 3 you think?

grabber197

forum member
Reaction score
Muscle mustangs& fast fords last mag had a write up.comp stage 3 cams,headers and off-road x, axle back, tuned, jlt cai, boss intake. 477 rwhp

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Muscle mustangs& fast fords last mag had a write up.comp stage 3 cams,headers and off-road x, axle back, tuned, jlt cai, boss intake. 477 rwhp

You might actually be referring to the tech write up on my personal car in 5.0 Magazine

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like they just put it online. http://goo.gl/aqDVw

What were you looking for info wise? The car rips, sounds great (in my opinion, though it is a little loud :) )

Pulls all the way up to 7600, fuel economy is so so

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score

What were you looking for info wise? The car rips, sounds great (in my opinion, though it is a little loud :) )

that answered most of them. Curious of how high the rpm can go as your making power. do you think it was worth it as far as sacrificing the low end power? and the HP seems a little low i would think for sure these engines could make 520+ on bigger cams are you just not running an aggressive tune? about to read the article now thank you :)

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Dyno numbers don't mean much and can vary greatly. The question is, what does it run at the track?

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score

The article was a nice write up Chuck.

Now that you've done the cam route would you do it again or would you've rather have went FI? Moving the rpm range up for street driving is one of my concerns.

Last edited:

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
I got to ride in Chuck's car. It is nothing short of amazing. And it sounds as though Cthulhu himself lives under the hood.

thats good to hear :)

and yes track times mean more than anything however its nice to see #'s to estimate how the car is going to react or change; i wish more people would do cam upgrades

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about going that route early on and there just wasn't enough data or real experience to justify spending that much cash so that led me to going the FI route ... Still intriguing to see the development of differnt cams and haven't ruled them out yet

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Dyno numbers don't mean much and can vary greatly. The question is, what does it run at the track?

I agree 100%.
I have a friend that spent all summer trying to get the stage 3 cams to work. He bought them used from Brenspeed. Any guesses why they were removed?
The car made about 40 rwhp more peak but the power and torque under the curve really suffered.
It was an auto car with a 3400 converter, 4.10 gears, long tubes, and a Boss intake. The car ran slower than with the stock cams. No matter how much it was tuned the loss of low end could not be overcame since the cams were locked. His options were increase stall speed and gear or go back to the stock cams. He has since removed the cams.
I personally drove the car before and after the cams, and it was a dog. If running a car on the street with an auto trans I would stay away from these.
A street driver with a stick would be questionable. I think there is a reason we are not seeing any(manny) builds using these.

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I agree 100%.
I have a friend that spent all summer trying to get the stage 3 cams to work. He bought them used from Brenspeed. Any guesses why they were removed?
The car made about 40 rwhp more peak but the power and torque under the curve really suffered.
It was an auto car with a 3400 converter, 4.10 gears, long tubes, and a Boss intake. The car ran slower than with the stock cams. No matter how much it was tuned the loss of low end could not be overcame since the cams were locked. His options were increase stall speed and gear or go back to the stock cams. He has since removed the cams.
I personally drove the car before and after the cams, and it was a dog. If running a car on the street with an auto trans I would stay away from these.
A street driver with a stick would be questionable. I think there is a reason we are not seeing any(manny) builds using these.
Part of the problem there was the cams were locked. Not at all necessary with the stage 3's. We just did the limiters on mine.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
I agree 100%.

its one experience; there is always a bad experience somewhere. Such as the #8 issue. But thanks for the insight hopefully some more people try this out and we can see some track #'s. Maybe Stage 3's were too aggressive? But this does show...bigger is not always better ;)

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Part of the problem there was the cams were locked. Not at all necessary with the stage 3's. We just did the limiters on mine.

I mis-quoted, they were limited to whatever the cam limiters limit them to. But my main point was the dyno graph showed a nice gain but the main point of measurement was the car performed slower on the track. I will see if I can get some timeslips before and after. Afterall, anyone going with cams most liklely cares about ET's. Needless to say he was very disapointed.

its one experience; there is always a bad experience somewhere. Such as the #8 issue. But thanks for the insight hopefully some more people try this out and we can see some track #'s. Maybe Stage 3's were too aggressive? But this does show...bigger is not always better ;)

True it is only one experience but you have to wonder why almost no vendors are pushing these. At any rate I was trying to help by posting up my friends experience. He went through many, mnay tune and data log revisions to try to improve the performance but it just wasnt there. I will try to get his time slips. But I can tell you the car ran 11.6's before and could never repeat that with the cams. I also drove the car for him at the track and my car goes low 10's. So it is not a driver issue.
In my opinion if going with cams on these motors I would stay conservative and go with the JPC regrinds. They have proven theirs work.
I am just trying to help fellow members. :thumb:

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I agree 100%.

I got a smoking deal on a used set of Stage3s. I think that with the 5C converter they will work well.

If I ever get around to installing them, I'll find out...

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
If these things make big power like they claim, the cars ought to be printing a lot of 10 second timeslips. So, where are they?

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
If these things make big power like they claim, the cars ought to be printing a lot of 10 second timeslips. So, where are they?

The reason why i posted this thread is because of this issue. Not alot of people are running them yet. i would believe if one of the companies can find the science behind the motor with cams then 10's should be a common thing among the 2011 5.0 community...but the cost for that NA is the cost of a supercharger...bolt-on 10's...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back