Almost done with everything...then

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
I was about to finish the install of the FFRP intake and the n20 kit but wanted to check out the cams a little more since I have not had the covers off since installing them 3 years ago. Pulled the covers and I rotated them to look at them more and wouldn't you know it I found a chip on the top of one of my intake lobes.

There was plenty of oil and there was no noise or performance problem from it. I can see it plain as day and can feel it with the fingernail. Spun the follower roller and it looks fine but the cam lobe is polished real smooth on both sides of the chip.

I don't know if I can dress the lobe to take out the catch but if a piece came off before another can too.

Looks like I might have to put the stock cams back in which is a step backwards.

Any ideas instead of backwards? I don't have the cash to buy another set of cams right now.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Post a pic plz. I'm gonna say if it has lived like this for 3 years, there's nothing to worry about. IF the cams are cast a chip on the edge isn't that usual.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
It is in the center, digging up a photo

Cellphone photos look like hell, tomorrow using a better camera

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Look up delta cams in Tacoma. They can repair lobes and journals by building up material and re machining to original spec.

www.deltacam.com

just sent my Hot Rods over to them. I should have them back in the next day or two.

edit: just got a text from my girl and they arrived today. I'll let you guys know how they did later today

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
took a look at my cams. they came out great! I couldn't tell which lobes had been repaired and which hadn't. They freshened up the whole thing and they look brand new!

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
took a look at my cams. they came out great! I couldn't tell which lobes had been repaired and which hadn't. They freshened up the whole thing and they look brand new!

What did they charge and how long did it take if you don't mind my asking.

This cam looks like Com had it reworked during the manufacturing and sold it to me. As a former tool and die guy I would have scrapped it and moved on.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
they had to do both cams, I can't remember the exact price but it was around 250 or so for both of them. It took them about a month because they had to wait for the tooling. As soon as they got the tooling it took them about a day, so normal turn around is a few days.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
they had to do both cams, I can't remember the exact price but it was around 250 or so for both of them. It took them about a month because they had to wait for the tooling. As soon as they got the tooling it took them about a day, so normal turn around is a few days.

Thank you, I will take it into consideration.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I had 127500s fixed by them. Took about two weeks and cost like $100-150. I don't remember.

07Bossman

Reaction score
What would cause that and what are the chances that is the way it was? Was it void that was exposed during machining and they let it go?

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
I would also replace the follower that is there if you weren't already planning on it.

I inspected the follower and it was fine but since I pulled the cam the follower was replaced just to let me not think about it.

What would cause that and what are the chances that is the way it was? Was it void that was exposed during machining and they let it go?

As a former tool and die guy I inspected the cam as I would if I had machined it myself. There was nothing wrong with it on the surface. I believe the cam might have been reworked after a defect was caught and it did not take. Look at the track on one side. If the follower was screwed up it would have left a line like that but it was ok so the cam was the defect I believe.

Back