Blow By - Not the company, my motor - Rebuild Advice Needed

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I spoke with Jamie at Livernois to try to get some kind of assistance on the purchase of some 3.700 flat top pistons. He's going to see what he can do to help. First iota of assistance anyone has offered. I'll see where this goes.

I hate that Diamond would be supplying the pistons, but going custom anywhere else will run me $1500. The list price on the Livernois design is $1000, so I have to figure out if I like my $500 more than I hate Diamond for costing me an engine.

Does anyone else supply pistons that will work with a BOSS50 block and a Livernois stroker kit? I'm planning to reuse the crank and rods. I have Livernois stage 3 heads and stage 3 n/a cams as well. The cams have .547 intake lift and .560 exhaust lift.

Call cnc motorsports in Brookings, SD. I got my twice modified shelf pistons for my Big Bore Stroker through them. They came from Diamond about three weeks after I ordered them. The pistons are flat top 3.700 with a 3v valve relief and 1.200 compression height which is correct for 5.850 rods and a 3.750 stroke. Total price with total seal rings and shipping was right at $1000.

CNC Motorsports has been the most knowledgeable and best priced place I've dealt with when it comes to pistons. They can get things that other "Big name" places can't and they have a direct line to the piston manufacturers.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put my pride in my pocket and pulled out $950 for Diamond pistons, rings, and pins. The guys at Livernois felt sorry for me, so they backed off their margin. I'm going to launch a new thread probing for some insight on clearance issues with the BBB. That'll be a better place to keep the masses informed of my build.

Thanks for all the sympathy and help.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Better make sure the builder measures 5 times. And has their buddy come over to measure too
Looking forward to the final build

BTW. Those pistons still usable or scored or anything from being so undersized?

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pistons have the standard wear on the skirts from being in a stroker, and there is some pitting on the skirts indicating small particle metal impregnation. They are "usable", but not what I'd want to do with a fresh motor build.

No catastrophic failure or anything like that. Loose motors are fast. Just think of how little frictional resistance I was getting from the rings. As long as the products of combustion were being contained, mucho power. The car originally made 420whp on the dyno after the build (per the previous owner and "proven" by a partial dyno graph). After I bought it, it made 392whp on the Pro Dyno dyno. Seat of the pants tells me it was making around 320whp when I knew I was in for a rebuild.

Didn't expect to find undersized pistons though.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Ahh yea wouldn't want to risk pistons with possible metal impregnation.

But if they were fine I'd have thought about picking them up for cheap :)
Lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back