Boss 302 blown head gasket?

Bcutch

Reaction score
Heyy everyone,

Alright I was driving the boss today and out of nowhere a white cloud came from the car. I was leaving a gas station so I was going slow but it had a rough idle and it had a real bad fuel smell. It was night time and cold af so I have checked oil or coolant levels. Will do tomorrow. But I’m leaning toward head gasket lmk what you think

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Head gasket related white smoke does not smell like fuel.
Has it overheated recently? Check engine light on?

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Could be head gasket (unlikely), could be cracked block, could be scored piston...we could play this guessing game all day. Best bet s to get car to service ctr & have them assess. Especially if it's your sole vehicle b/c free internet forum advice is simply...free (get what you pay for).

Bcutch

Reaction score
Well I have no check engine light it has never been overheated I know it’s not a cracked block because well it didn’t spit oil anywhere and there’s no knocks or ticks. Im not gonna take it to a service center I’ll do my own work to it. I just haven’t messed with it yet because it was dark and cold af

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
So besides a cloud of smoke or steam, it ran rough. But no check engine light. IMO, it should have tripped the check engine light for misfire.

SilBult

Reaction score
Through visual inspection followed by a compression check is where I would start. With rough running I would expect a CEL, but just one more mystery.

jewc

Reaction score
Pull the number 8 spark plug and report back what it looks like.

Bcutch

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the input so I had no coolant loss or coolant in the oil. I didn’t get to pull the plugs and honestly I work 2 jobs and don’t have time to look that far into it so I will be taking it to a dealer for diagnostics. But I will and can do the work myself cause fuck their prices

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Forget the stealership. They'll charge you an arm and a leg just to perform "diagnostics", and I guarantee you that their proposed fix will be the most expensive one possible. You'll probably diagnose the problem yourself in just a few minutes.

1. Scan the ECU for fault codes.

2. Do a visual inspection of the engine bay for any disconnected/cracked fuel/vacuum lines or fuel leaks.

3. Pull the dipstick and see if the oil smells of fuel.

4. Pull and inspect the spark plugs. Then while the plugs are out, perform a compression test on all cylinders.

I'm confident that if you do all of the above, you'll either find the problem yourself or at least provide enough info. for the rest of us to guide you in the right direction.
Let us know what you find.

jewc

Reaction score
Codes do not pop up unless driven 26 miles with said fault happening. Easy way of doing this is pulling the plugs. Since number 8 is a known issue, id start there.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Pending codes could still be read with some scanners. The CEL trips shen the code matures.

Bcutch

Reaction score
juice you are correct the reason im not really able to work on it everyday is back in sept my house flooded and well i lost most of my shit. but the way i see it its broke so at least im keeping mileage off. but ill get a buddy of mine to plug up his code reader and check for pending codes. ill pull the plugs today and report back later

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Code readers I have used:
X4 - does not read pending.
Torque - does not read pending.
Dash Command - does read pending.
Forscan - I dont think reads pending. I dont really use this to read codes.

Sorry to hear about the flood. That sucks.

Bcutch

Reaction score
Luckily I know a guy that has one because this car can’t pass emissions

Would a heated o2 maybe help and monitors not ready code is why I fail done every dang drive cycle I found for it and same thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Takes me forever to get the last 3 monitors to complete. On a bone stock factory tune.

Bcutch

Reaction score
No tune I took it to the dealership I work 2 jobs and I’ve only had the car a year so looks like I’ll be paying on a broke car

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck Bcutch, I foresee engine replacement. What year is the car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back