Boss 302 Manifold Install/Writeup

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
So I purchased the manifold from BBR (blowbyracing) as they mentioned they were going to be among the first to have the manifolds available to ship to customers, I bought it with a tune, JLT CAI, and an intermediate tune to hold me over while I waited for the manifold.

Thanks to BBR for writing a tune in the later hours of the day, and to LRS for this excellent writeup and customer service: http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/arch...ford-racing-boss-302-intake-installation.aspx

Here's the car as it sat yesterday:
install1.jpg

I have not baselined the car on a dyno, but it picked up a good amount of power with just tune and CAI, although I was disappointed in the tune's drivability. We're not sure if it was a tune issue or adaptive one, but no longer matters as by the time I went to reflash the car, UPS dropped off the new toy, the boss manifold.

Out of the box, its very lightweight and assembled with proper standoffs for the fuel rails, bolts in the carriers for the heads, and gaskets. Its a few lbs lighter than the stock manifold, and very much taller when sitting on the car. Pictures do not describe how much higher the back of the motor sits with this manifold in relationship to the stock one with the cover installed.

So here's some pictures from the install (complements the excellent writeup from LRS which I used to complete this.)

Started with removal of the CAI and associated tubing:
install2.jpg

Followed the LRS guide to the letter (be sure to remove the fuel rail bolts as those do pass down into the heads, holding the whole assembly down).
install3.jpg

After carefully cleaning the surfaces, I laid the manifold down. I've also highlighted the location used to relocate the purge solenoid. It wasn't very clear in the LRS guide, but you have 3 bolt locations to work with, and it comes down to how you can route the hoses and connector to fit. I ended up using a lower bolt than found in the guide, but with moving the harness around a bit, this seemed to stress all the lines the least. (to install the purge solenoid, you need the following: 2 feet 3/8" fuel line, 2 hose clamps, 1 M8x1.25 bolt (1 inch length is fine), couple washers and a lock washer. You remove the two rubber pads, and use the washers to pinch one side of the solenoid against the block where one of the bolts used to pass through, connect the hose to the end of the solenoid and up to the green fitting on the front of the boss manifold).
install4.jpg

closer detail of that location
install5.jpg

the green cover is where the line ends up going
install6.jpg

Fully installed, in progress of being flashed
install7.jpg

Another view, you can see the purge solenoid/valve hanging out beneath the manifold in the HUGE gap in the valley (a practical cave)
install8.jpg

install9.jpg

Driving impressions:
The tune came from BBR with the intake, and I've only had one night to drive the car, but here's some highlights:

1: Idle is smooth as stock (car makes slight adjustments here and there, but mine did that stock as well). Never stalled during adaptive learning process

2: Power delivery is buttery smooth, the tune does have a very firm throttle response, however unlike my last tune, 10% of pedal application didn't result in a bouncy/jerky kick to the pants.

3: Its much louder in the engine bay. I have no leaks, but something about this intake setup causes the volume levels to kick up, and slight change to both exhaust note and intake note. Welcomed all around

4: First time I was able to jump on it was pretty shocking. The car felt every bit as strong as it did before, but just shot up to 7700 rpm with the feeling that it was never going to stop, when I shifted it hit somewhere around 6200 and repeated. By that time I was going way too fast to continue on public roads, but the result is that this car has a HUGE powerband now.

5: daily driving seems to be improved even though I won't use those rev ranges often. Still plenty of torque, I tried putting it in 6th at 2800 and going full throttle. Felt just fine.

6: This may be more the tune than anything else, but free revving is much faster. Makes heel-toe operations much easier

I'm shooting to get on a dyno tomorrow to get some numbers (despite my lack of baseline, sorry guys), but so far I'm very happy with my install. Totally changed the character of the car. The only thing I want now powerwise is to see the ability for tuners to replicate the lope from the boss trackkey, and further refine the already good work they're doing).

Here's a brief video of the first revs of the motor after letting it idle for 15 minutes. first rev to 3500, second to 5k.
YouTube - 2011 mustang boss 302 manifold testing

Last edited by a moderator:

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great write up!

There are 4 accessory "dress-up" pieces that should be available soon. There are the fuel rail covers everyone has seen for the Boss manifold, and there are also front and rear pieces that must be used to cover the "cave".

Not necessary at all it seems, but worth mentioning since you've got a great pic showing the "cave".

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not sure how I feel about the fuel rail covers, and I decided not to order the front and rear covers for the cave, because in theory air flows through that area and may or may not have a cooling effect.

Though I like a clean looking bay so I'll see what happens with the covers, my mind is subject to change.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
So I purchased the manifold from BBR (blowbyracing) as they mentioned they were going to be among the first to have the manifolds available to ship to customers, I bought it with a tune, JLT CAI, and an intermediate tune to hold me over while I waited for the manifold.

Thanks to BBR for writing a tune in the later hours of the day, and to LRS for this excellent writeup and customer service: http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/arch...ford-racing-boss-302-intake-installation.aspx

Here's the car as it sat yesterday:
install1.jpg

I have not baselined the car on a dyno, but it picked up a good amount of power with just tune and CAI, although I was disappointed in the tune's drivability. We're not sure if it was a tune issue or adaptive one, but no longer matters as by the time I went to reflash the car, UPS dropped off the new toy, the boss manifold.

Out of the box, its very lightweight and assembled with proper standoffs for the fuel rails, bolts in the carriers for the heads, and gaskets. Its a few lbs lighter than the stock manifold, and very much taller when sitting on the car. Pictures do not describe how much higher the back of the motor sits with this manifold in relationship to the stock one with the cover installed.

So here's some pictures from the install (complements the excellent writeup from LRS which I used to complete this.)

Started with removal of the CAI and associated tubing:
install2.jpg

Followed the LRS guide to the letter (be sure to remove the fuel rail bolts as those do pass down into the heads, holding the whole assembly down).
install3.jpg

After carefully cleaning the surfaces, I laid the manifold down. I've also highlighted the location used to relocate the purge solenoid. It wasn't very clear in the LRS guide, but you have 3 bolt locations to work with, and it comes down to how you can route the hoses and connector to fit. I ended up using a lower bolt than found in the guide, but with moving the harness around a bit, this seemed to stress all the lines the least. (to install the purge solenoid, you need the following: 2 feet 3/8" fuel line, 2 hose clamps, 1 M8x1.25 bolt (1 inch length is fine), couple washers and a lock washer. You remove the two rubber pads, and use the washers to pinch one side of the solenoid against the block where one of the bolts used to pass through, connect the hose to the end of the solenoid and up to the green fitting on the front of the boss manifold).
install4.jpg

closer detail of that location
install5.jpg

the green cover is where the line ends up going
install6.jpg

Fully installed, in progress of being flashed
install7.jpg

Another view, you can see the purge solenoid/valve hanging out beneath the manifold in the HUGE gap in the valley (a practical cave)
install8.jpg

install9.jpg

Driving impressions:
The tune came from BBR with the intake, and I've only had one night to drive the car, but here's some highlights:

1: Idle is smooth as stock (car makes slight adjustments here and there, but mine did that stock as well). Never stalled during adaptive learning process

2: Power delivery is buttery smooth, the tune does have a very firm throttle response, however unlike my last tune, 10% of pedal application didn't result in a bouncy/jerky kick to the pants.

3: Its much louder in the engine bay. I have no leaks, but something about this intake setup causes the volume levels to kick up, and slight change to both exhaust note and intake note. Welcomed all around

4: First time I was able to jump on it was pretty shocking. The car felt every bit as strong as it did before, but just shot up to 7700 rpm with the feeling that it was never going to stop, when I shifted it hit somewhere around 6200 and repeated. By that time I was going way too fast to continue on public roads, but the result is that this car has a HUGE powerband now.

5: daily driving seems to be improved even though I won't use those rev ranges often. Still plenty of torque, I tried putting it in 6th at 2800 and going full throttle. Felt just fine.

6: This may be more the tune than anything else, but free revving is much faster. Makes heel-toe operations much easier

I'm shooting to get on a dyno tomorrow to get some numbers (despite my lack of baseline, sorry guys), but so far I'm very happy with my install. Totally changed the character of the car. The only thing I want now powerwise is to see the ability for tuners to replicate the lope from the boss trackkey, and further refine the already good work they're doing).

Here's a brief video of the first revs of the motor after letting it idle for 15 minutes. first rev to 3500, second to 5k.
YouTube - 2011 mustang boss 302 manifold testing

Great writeup and good job. :hi:

Now you feel the same way I did when we first put it on our car, the minimal loss on the dyno is not felt at all and the car revs so nice and strong.

I look forward to track times. Keep up the good work.

JJ

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for detailed info on the purge valve hook-up. I was confused before, but this cleared it up. GREAT JOB!!!!

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
Great writeup.. Looks really good, and sounds even better

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Great job and thanks for the description of the vapor purge location. There is a list of parts to do the purge with factory Boss parts, the #s are
CR3Z-9G297-A
CR3Z-9G290-B
CR3Z-9J280-A
W506974-S437-A
About $125 from ford dealers. This is what I love about our Mustang community, the sharing of experience really makes it fun to dig in and DIY mods like this. Takes the pucker factor out of ripping into a $35000 car.
Thanks again
Steve

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Nice work. Great write up as well.

I am on the fence with this intake. But i am think it will go great with a vortech and bigger throttle body.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
The intake works very well for our regular N/A 5.0's.

We ran 11.12@122 with our car today. The only changes from our previous best of 11.67 were the LT's and the Boss intake.

JJ

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks captdistraction for posting ! Nice write-up.

I'm planning on ordering the Boss 302 longblock and intake for a swap into my Turbo Coupe.
Good info for sure.

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Excellent write up. I have had mine for a week and am installing it today. I ran the car yesterday with the stock intake to get some numbers before, next week I will take it back out for after numbers.
Obviously same day testing at the track would be best, hopefully someone can do that soon.

Update: Not trying to hijack your thread, I just wanted to show it with the Steeda CAI. No issues with fitment what so ever.

IMG_1618.jpg

Last edited:

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
looks good.. i have the JLT Plastic /Boss manifold going on my demo car..

Back