Bought a New Challenger SRT8

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Brother Marc,
Whatever you're doing sir, it's looking great from here:)
Congrats Brother!

Thanks Doug!

BTW... any plans on heading back this way for a visit anytime soon? I would love to hit the range then the cruise-in before winter sets in. If not, a buddy of mine in Saraland is getting married in November. We can get the ladies and make a night out one night.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
LOL... I am a computer scientist on contract to the federal government. I am literally the only person in the world who has my specific job, but, if I get fired, I'll let you know. :thumb2:

Its funny, the last one was orange too. But for some reason, I don't have any pictures of it... at least intentional ones. I got some partials where it was photographed by mistake. LOL

Dscf0589.jpg

oldsrtclip.jpg

Honestly, I am not sure. I have to get into the Challenger forums and see what's what. My biggest problem is going to be finding a site for Challengers that is as good as this one is for S197's. I got spoiled over here.

BTW, maybe over the weekend I can get some nice pics of all three cars together... but for now, here is a couple quick one I shot with the blackberry of my son's SXT. 16 years old... lucky shit. He's lucky his mother loves him. I was gonna get him a $1,500 notch-back. LOL

Challenger1.jpg

Challenger2.jpg

Challenger3.jpg

ummm.... for some reason, that seems a little creepy. Besides, 1 PITA teen boy is about all I can stand. LOL

Hey I'm 21!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I literally LOL'ed about the grass compliment. It was unexpected, but very much appreciated.

:beerchug2:

Haha, I think yards were on my mind since I had just finished mowing my lawn.

On a side note, my dad had an identical '08 SRT8. He ended up trading it for a newer one so he could get a manual.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on the SRT8! Great looking car. I almost bought a 2011 SRT8 Inaugural Edition before settling on a 2014 Shaker 5.7L. Hey...I'll trade you my heated leather seats for your 6.4L lol!

IMG_20140907_145402_511_zps3af09dba.jpg

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Congrats on the SRT8! Great looking car. I almost bought a 2011 SRT8 Inaugural Edition before settling on a 2014 Shaker 5.7L. Hey...I'll trade you my heated leather seats for your 6.4L lol!

Man, a 6.4 would fit and it bolts to a tr6060, but purists on both sides would blow a gasket! LOL

No life preserver? :(

hahahaha... the Titanic is unsinkable!!!

But they are hanging on the sides. They are just hard to see since they are the same color as the car.

Haha, I think yards were on my mind since I had just finished mowing my lawn.

On a side note, my dad had an identical '08 SRT8. He ended up trading it for a newer one so he could get a manual.

Oh yea, the manual is way more fun to drive. I avoid auto's for my street cars when I can.

Congrats on all the Mopars.
For a great Mopar forum check out www.lxforums.com
For some awesome custom billet accessories, check out www.custombilletstore.com for Billet Technology's awesome goodies :)

Thanks for the links! I appreciate it.

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to join your family. How did your daughter end up with a Hemi and your son got a 6? Not that a 300hp car is more then enough for a 16 year old, plus it looks great. I love those scat pack (or whatever its called), to bad they don't make them in that sweet purple color (at least for the 15 models).

One more quick questions, what are the pro and cons to the Challenger vs your Mustang?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I have had several Mustangs for 7 years straight. I still have the GT500... that isn't going anywhere... but I really like these SRT8's. Between the Mustang, Jeep, Challenger and Charger, it should mix things up and give us a nice variety of vehicles.

I know exactly what you mean. As much as I love Ford products and Mustangs in general, we would have had three Mustangs at the house including my wifes had I gone ahead and purchased a 2015 GT Premium as a new DD. Three Mustangs? No thanks.

I couldn't agree more that it sure is nice having a variety. Sometimes you have to ask yourself...why should I be brand loyal? Nobody is putting money in my pocket for endorsements. I have loved the Challenger ever since it came out in 08' even though I couldn't stomach the thought of ever owning a Dodge. But then again, I couldn't continue living such a bland existence forever by not ever trying something new and different. So far I don't regret it one bit.

Whats more is all the people that give the Challenger a bad rap over performance when they have never even sat their ass in this car let alone driven it. Like you I have the track suspension package w/20" wheels and this car handles just as good if not better than my Mustang. Hell the Challenger has IRS! My Challenger won't win any races that's for sure, I have the Mustang for that. But I find it to be a great looking overall fantastic DD that has an old school throaty growl and just enough power to put a smile on my face. :beerdrink:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
OK, I thought everyone here was ditching their Mustangs for Corvettes....apparantly it's Challengers now!

J/K Marc. that is a sweet ride. Like ultracla$$ic said, if I wasn't such a big Mustang guy, I'd totally rock a Challenger. Great color choice, too!

And your son is one fortunate son of a gun!

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I need to join your family. How did your daughter end up with a Hemi and your son got a 6? Not that a 300hp car is more then enough for a 16 year old, plus it looks great. I love those scat pack (or whatever its called), to bad they don't make them in that sweet purple color (at least for the 15 models).

My son got the SXT because its his first car and he is 16... that is basically it. More than enough to get into trouble with. I was pretty impressed when I clocked a 6.5 second 0-60. I might upgrade him in a year. Depends on his skill and his attitude. LOL

My daughter... she is 20 and in college. She has been driving for awhile and I could tell there was some jealousy going on, so my mother in-law and I chipped in together to get her a decked out Hemi Charger.

One more quick questions, what are the pro and cons to the Challenger vs your Mustang?

Well, what Timmbo mentions is pretty accurate. I would say, stock for stock, the Challenger SRT 392 and the Mustang GT are just about equal in overall performance and comfort. There are some very minor differences.

The Challenger has 9 lbs per HP and 9 lb per lb-tq, verses the Mustang has 8.5 lbs per hp and 8.8 lbs per lb-tq. That means, all other things being equal, the Mustang GT is a shade faster. However, they are both mid-12 second cars off the showroom floor.

The Challenger has IRS and the Mustang is live axle, lending to the Challenger having a better ride (imho). Stock for stock, they both corner about the same... but the Challenger seems to be more stable in high lat G's.

There is much more room in the front seat and the back seat. Adults really aren't going to far in the back of a Mustang, but the kids both said the Challenger has the same amount of room in the back as my 4 door Jeep Wrangler.

All the same toys are available. All the same mods are available.

The biggest difference is going to be cost. A Mustang GT, equipped like the Challenger I bought will be about $42k to $44k, compared to the $50k I paid for the SRT. BUT... the SRT is considered to be the upgrade like the GT500 as far as the MOPAR world goes (at least until the Hellcat hits the road), so there is that aspect of prestige too.

In general, the SRT 392 and the Mustang GT would really just come down to brand preference... or you can do what some of us did and just get both! LOL

I know exactly what you mean. As much as I love Ford products and Mustangs in general, we would have had three Mustangs at the house including my wifes had I gone ahead and purchased a 2015 GT Premium as a new DD. Three Mustangs? No thanks.

I couldn't agree more that it sure is nice having a variety. Sometimes you have to ask yourself...why should I be brand loyal? Nobody is putting money in my pocket for endorsements. I have loved the Challenger ever since it came out in 08' even though I couldn't stomach the thought of ever owning a Dodge. But then again, I couldn't continue living such a bland existence forever by not ever trying something new and different. So far I don't regret it one bit.

Whats more is all the people that give the Challenger a bad rap over performance when they have never even sat their ass in this car let alone driven it. Like you I have the track suspension package w/20" wheels and this car handles just as good if not better than my Mustang. Hell the Challenger has IRS! My Challenger won't win any races that's for sure, I have the Mustang for that. But I find it to be a great looking overall fantastic DD that has an old school throaty growl and just enough power to put a smile on my face. :beerdrink:

You really nailed it. Couldn't have said it better. :beerchug2:

OK, I thought everyone here was ditching their Mustangs for Corvettes....apparantly it's Challengers now!

I tried a Corvette. I am 6' 2", 380 lbs, in my 40's with 2 bad knees. I had to roll my cripple fat ass out of it... so that was a no-go. hahaha

J/K Marc. that is a sweet ride. Like ultracla$$ic said, if I wasn't such a big Mustang guy, I'd totally rock a Challenger. Great color choice, too!

And your son is one fortunate son of a gun!

Thanks bud! I appreciate the kudos.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Marc-did you try a test fit in the stingray?

Just curious as to why you "settled" for the SRT when the Hellcat is $10K more; I know $10k is a lot of money but at that price I would assume if you could afford $50k you could afford $60K?

What mods are there for the SRT's?

Thanks!

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My son got the SXT because its his first car and he is 16... that is basically it. More than enough to get into trouble with. I was pretty impressed when I clocked a 6.5 second 0-60. I might upgrade him in a year. Depends on his skill and his attitude. LOL

My daughter... she is 20 and in college. She has been driving for awhile and I could tell there was some jealousy going on, so my mother in-law and I chipped in together to get her a decked out Hemi Charger.

Well, what Timmbo mentions is pretty accurate. I would say, stock for stock, the Challenger SRT 392 and the Mustang GT are just about equal in overall performance and comfort. There are some very minor differences.

The Challenger has 9 lbs per HP and 9 lb per lb-tq, verses the Mustang has 8.5 lbs per hp and 8.8 lbs per lb-tq. That means, all other things being equal, the Mustang GT is a shade faster. However, they are both mid-12 second cars off the showroom floor.

The Challenger has IRS and the Mustang is live axle, lending to the Challenger having a better ride (imho). Stock for stock, they both corner about the same... but the Challenger seems to be more stable in high lat G's.

There is much more room in the front seat and the back seat. Adults really aren't going to far in the back of a Mustang, but the kids both said the Challenger has the same amount of room in the back as my 4 door Jeep Wrangler.

All the same toys are available. All the same mods are available.

The biggest difference is going to be cost. A Mustang GT, equipped like the Challenger I bought will be about $42k to $44k, compared to the $50k I paid for the SRT. BUT... the SRT is considered to be the upgrade like the GT500 as far as the MOPAR world goes (at least until the Hellcat hits the road), so there is that aspect of prestige too.

In general, the SRT 392 and the Mustang GT would really just come down to brand preference... or you can do what some of us did and just get both! LOL

That makes sense with the possible jealousy thing. I had something similar happen to me when my one aunt (with $) decided she was going to buy my older brother a brand new vert mustang (v6, he doesn't care about performance). My parents felt bad when I was shopping around for a used new edge and decided to step in and help me get my 3v. I honestly didn't care that my bro got a new stang, my aunt and him have that special connection, but I wasn't complaing when my parents stepped in to help me:beerchug2:

The only other thing I would of looked at if I was going to spend 50g on a Challenger (which I personally love as well) is a used 2013 GT500. I saw a one local for sale for $53g. However, I believe I read you already have a GT500.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lots of mods. Intune for the tuner, cai's, exhaust, cams, and fi. Just like every other car out there, lol.

Congrats Marc. Badass ride for sure, i love the 15's.

I heard Dodge has the software locked which is why I asked; thought I had read in another challenger thread where there were not a lot of exhaust options either...

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All of the major players in the exhaust world build systems for them. Diablo is the ONLY way to tune them.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So long tubes/off road pipes are out there, eh? Do they help with power or are they just noise?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would guess its the same as a mustang, change mostly comes from the tune. I havent been forum searching. Just video watching.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back