building motor..cam timing help!

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so unlike the 3v the cams have to come off to removed the heads

I took both cams off as one single piece and tried not to let the chain slip on each side so the intake vs. Exhaust cams should still be timed but I want to double check

Anyone know how to time these motors

Any help would be greatly appreciated

And on a side note if anyone wants to help me upload pics pm me I wanna start a build thread but I use a damn DROID

I have pics of my broken #8
And the teardown
and lots of comments on the way this motor is built and lots of tips for anyone needing help

Im doing this myself lol

Kingcrabb

forum member
Reaction score
Cant really help you on the timing. But uploading pics from DRIOD is super simple.
Make a photobucket account, go to the market and download the appropriate app. upload to photobucket. Then photobucket gives you links and all you do is copy and paste onto the thread from PB.
Hope that is what you were looking for.

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score

I took both cams off as one single piece and tried not to let the chain slip on each side so the intake vs. Exhaust cams should still be timed but I want to double check

And on a side note if anyone wants to help me upload pics pm me I wanna start a build thread but I use a damn DROID

I have pics of my broken #8
And the teardown
and lots of comments on the way this motor is built and lots of tips for anyone needing help

Im doing this myself lol

You did not mention the specific model of Android phone, but most should have a share option in the picture gallery app. I use Google's Picasa service. It makes it easy to upload pictures from your phone. Then you can get the link using a regular web browser (log into Picasa). You should be able to do the same with yahoo's Flickr service.

Try searching for how to guides.... plenty of instructions posted on the web.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

DrTriton

Reaction score

EDIT: double post!

Last edited:

DrTriton

Reaction score

There are coloured links on the back of the secondary chains and notches on the back of the gears. Index the cams so the notches point away from each other (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock). This is the base setting.

You can keep the cams together but it's a bit cumbersome to re-install the whole sub-assembly. I prefer to take everything apart and start over from the positions noted above so I can double-check the timing once everything is re-installed. I use a new secondary chain tensioner since these have a one-time internal grenade pin feature. You pull the pin and push down to set them. You can probably get creative and compress the factory-installed parts...I haven't tried.

Once you have the cams timed you want to install them so they sit in a neutral position over the followers. I don't have my assembly guide in front of me but I recall the LH bank cams need to be rotated clockwise a bit before they will sit down in the registers. Re-install all the caps in the correct position and orientation. They are identified with arrows and numbers, hopefully you took note of their positions before you removed them.

Zero-torque the caps, all except the big front cap, working from the center out until they pull the cams down and have all seated against the registers. Torque them ALL 6 Nm in sequence (including the front cap). Rotate them all in sequence 45 degrees.

Hopefully that helps...without pictures it is a bit hard to describe.

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
So basically if I never "compressed" the secondary tensioner for the cams they should still be in time correct?

And what about timing the gears to the crank

Same as old

Crank at 6 o clock

Time to the
R on the passenger side

L on the driver side

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hope this helps. This is directly from Ford

Installation
1. Install the crankshaft sprocket with the flange facing forward.
2. Install the secondary timing chain onto the LH VCT assemblies. Align the colored links on the secondary timing chain with the timing marks on the
VCT assemblies as shown in the illustration.
1 The timing mark on the intake VCT assembly should align between the 2 consecutive colored links.
2 The timing mark on the exhaust VCT assembly should align with the single colored link.
3. Install the LH VCT assemblies and the secondary timing chain onto the LH camshafts to a position 2 mm (0.078 in) from fully seated. The timing
mark on the exhaust VCT assembly should be in the 11 o'clock position.

NOTE:

It may be necessary to rotate the exhaust camshaft slightly (using a wrench on the flats of the camshaft) to seat the VCT assemblies onto the
camshafts.
Rotate the secondary timing chain tensioner 90 degrees so the ramped area is facing forward and fully seat the VCT assemblies onto the camshafts.
• If the secondary timing chain is not centered over the tensioner, reposition the VCT assemblies until they are fully seated on the camshafts.

NOTE:

Use a wrench on the flats of the camshaft to hold the camshafts while tightening the VCT assembly bolts.
Install the 3 LH intake VCT assembly bolts and the 3 LH exhaust VCT assembly bolts.
• Tighten to 15 Nm (133 lb-in) plus an additional 90 degrees.
6. Install the LH primary timing chain.
• Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the LH VCT assembly.
7. Align the remaining colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket.

NOTE:

It may be necessary to rotate the crankshaft slightly to provide enough slack in the chain to install the LH timing chain guide. Return the crankshaft
keyway to the 9 o'clock position after installing the LH timing chain guide.
Install the LH timing chain guide and bolt.
• Tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

NOTE:

It may be necessary to rotate the crankshaft slightly to provide enough slack in the chain to install the LH timing chain tensioner arm. Return the
crankshaft keyway to the 9 o'clock position after installing the LH timing chain tensioner arm.
Install the LH timing chain tensioner arm.
NOTE:
Complete the following 3 steps on both the LH and RH primary timing chain tensioners.

NOTICE:

Do not compress the ratchet assembly or damage to the tensioner will occur.
Compress the primary timing chain tensioner plunger, using an edge of a vise.
11. Using a small screwdriver or pick, push back and hold the ratchet mechanism, then push the ratchet arm back into the tensioner housing.

12. Install a suitable pin into the hole of the tensioner housing to hold the ratchet assembly and plunger in place during installation.
13. Install the LH primary timing chain tensioner and 2 bolts.
• Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.
14. Using the crankshaft holding tool, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the crankshaft keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.
15. Install the secondary timing chain onto the RH VCT assemblies. Align the colored links on the secondary timing chain with the timing marks on the
VCT assemblies as shown in the illustration.

1 The timing mark on the intake VCT assembly should align between the 2 consecutive colored links.
2 The timing mark on the exhaust VCT assembly should align with the single colored link.
16. Install the RH VCT assemblies and the secondary timing chain onto the RH camshafts to a position 2 mm (0.078 in) from fully seated. The timing
mark on the exhaust VCTassembly should be in the 1 o'clock position.

NOTE:

It may be necessary to rotate the exhaust camshaft slightly (using a wrench on the flats of the camshaft) to seat the VCT assemblies onto the
camshafts.
Rotate the secondary timing chain tensioner 90 degrees so the ramped area is facing forward and fully seat the VCT assemblies onto the camshafts.
• If the secondary timing chain is not centered over the tensioner, reposition the VCT assemblies until they are fully seated on the camshafts.

NOTE:

Use a wrench on the flats of the camshaft to hold the camshafts while tightening the VCT assembly bolts.
Install the 3 RH intake VCT assembly bolts and the 3 RH exhaust VCT assembly bolts.
• Tighten to 15 Nm (133 lb-in) plus an additional 90 degrees.

19. Install the RH primary timing chain.
• Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the RH VCT assembly.
20. Align the remaining colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket.

NOTE:

It may be necessary to rotate the crankshaft slightly to provide enough slack in the chain to install the RH timing chain guide. Return the crankshaft
keyway to the 12 o'clock position after installing the RH timing chain guide.
Install the RH timing chain guide and bolt.

NOTE:

It may be necessary to rotate the crankshaft slightly to provide enough slack in the chain to install the RH timing chain tensioner arm. Return the
crankshaft keyway to the 12 o'clock position after installing the RH timing chain tensioner arm.
Install the RH timing chain tensioner arm.
23. Install the RH primary timing chain tensioner and 2 bolts.
• Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.
24. With the crankshaft keyway still at the 12 o'clock position, verify the timing mark alignment is correct.

25. Install the engine front cover. For additional information, refer to Engine Front Cover in this section.

DrTriton

Reaction score
So basically if I never "compressed" the secondary tensioner for the cams they should still be in time correct?

And what about timing the gears to the crank

Same as old

Crank at 6 o clock

Time to the
R on the passenger side

L on the driver side

They should still be in time, but you need to rotate them to get your primary cam gears in the right position in order to time them back to the crank. I have tried to leave the cams together with the cap and tensioner on the first engine I built but found that it was cumbersome and it left me with no way to verify the secondary timing against the links so I have our technicians pull the VCT's off and start from the beginning using the factory process, re-aligning everything. You definitely don't want to find out you are a tooth out after it's running.

The process Chuck posted pretty much speaks to where you want the crank key oriented when you are installing the primary chains...9 o'clock for the LH side and 12 o'clock for the RH side.

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Yes thanks guys that's what I needed

Now I have another question unrelated

Okay my car will be the exact same as stock only forged

Buy I don't have cats, will that hurt on the first startup on the stock tune?

I have the SCT but I don't want to run the lund cammed tune that blew it up

And im leaving the stock air box in

Sp would the SCT canned tune be better and just turn off the rear 02 sensors maybe use the canned 87 tune and run 93?? Be okay?

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
I wish I knew how much timing the canned tunes added

I basically want a bone stock tune with the cats turned off and I don't wanna spend money on a basically stock tune lol ill be boosted in 2-3 months

wproctor411

forum member
Reaction score
Nice info. I would like to rebuild mine next year but may go with a shortblock. Sorry to hear about that piston but now you'll be good for boost.

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
DSCN0029.jpg

Is it basically like this.. same as 3v

bestmustangparts

Reaction score
Great info here, thanks.

I'm familiar with installing heads and timing chains on a DOHC motor. What would you say is the biggest difference here? Can you install the heads while the cams are installed, or not (saw this mentioned).

THanks!
Jeff

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
No, the cams have to be removed to get to a few head bolts
I have the secondary timing under control, I just need to know what marks to line up for the main sprockets,

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back