Buying an ex rental gt

stangsforever

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods i discovered a dealership that has over a dozen gt automatiques for sale.
THe only problem is that their all ex rental cars, mileage is fairly good around 10 000miles is it a good idea to buy one of them knowing how they were treated.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
a mustang with 8 miles on it were NOT nice miles...

check it over yourself, or someone that knows what to look and listen for... and purchase knowing it is just as good, if not better than personally owned mustangs.

FWIW... you KNOW there wereent 3month old fries betweent the seat and console JUST removed if it were a rental.

And, it could possibly be a car with quite a 'winning' pedegree! LOL!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bought a previous rental car (corolla), i have always been extremely careful with rental cars i have had, Theres always the chance that the ocasional renter has beat on it, but you know they get cleaned detailed often and all the scheduled maintenance is done. go for it.

stangsforever

Reaction score
I used to work at a rental and i know that they get scratches here and there and they get into some accidents. Also they dont maintain them that very well either.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
a mustang with 8 miles on it were NOT nice miles...

check it over yourself, or someone that knows what to look and listen for... and purchase knowing it is just as good, if not better than personally owned mustangs.

FWIW... you KNOW there wereent 3month old fries betweent the seat and console JUST removed if it were a rental.

And, it could possibly be a car with quite a 'winning' pedegree! LOL!

I agree.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i think it's the same no mater where you buy a car. most people don't do regular maintance on there cars but at least with a rental there's a better chance it was taken care no. also, if you're like most guys here you will be upgrading stuff anyway. if it comes with a warrenty, i say go for it.... if the price is good. there are a lot of good deals on craigslist and autotrader too.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most rentals don't have a lot of options on them, do they?

How good of a deal is the dealership offering?

stang2009

Reaction score
Rental

Mustangs that were rentals all have molding on the side of the door. There is a guy in our club that bought a rental. It is a 2005 Boss, he has made it into a real nice show car. He has had no problems at all.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
My biggest concern is that ex rental cars usually have NO warranty on them. They were commercial cars, so the warranties are either quite limited or non-existent.

If it's a significant savings over retail pricing, I'd probably go for it as long as everything checks out. I personally know how to look for prior repairs done to cars and how to check them out mechanically. The last new car I went to buy before this Mustang was a Honda Civic SI. The first one I was really wanting was the last white one they had. But as usual, I did my checks and that brand new car had had the whole front end replaced. And they're NOT obligated to tell you about it either. At least not in the last four States I've bought cars in.

Good luck if you choose that route.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Mustangs that were rentals all have molding on the side of the door. There is a guy in our club that bought a rental. It is a 2005 Boss, he has made it into a real nice show car. He has had no problems at all.

It is a 2005 GT; not a Boss.

My biggest concern is that ex rental cars usually have NO warranty on them. They were commercial cars, so the warranties are either quite limited or non-existent.

Absolutely false. This type of useless bullshit misinformation pisses me off.

If it's a significant savings over retail pricing, I'd probably go for it as long as everything checks out. I personally know how to look for prior repairs done to cars and how to check them out mechanically. The last new car I went to buy before this Mustang was a Honda Civic SI. The first one I was really wanting was the last white one they had. But as usual, I did my checks and that brand new car had had the whole front end replaced. And they're NOT obligated to tell you about it either. At least not in the last four States I've bought cars in.

Good luck if you choose that route.

stang2009

Reaction score
It will have the full warranty, a lot of cars dealers sell as program cars etc. are rental cars, and they will have full warranty. If you save enough buying this way, and it makes you feel better you might consider buying a extended warranty, probably $1500.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hey pacettr, you wanna know what pisses me off about assholes who post in someone's quoted text about shit that person provided as information being false? Two things idiot.

1. You can't be quoted. So don't go changing your fucking words on me. I've already screen captured your response.

2. You're bitching about how people posting mis-information pisses you off when you yourself have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Thus resoundingly proving that you're a dickhead.

Check out page 6 of any 2011 or earlier Warranty Manual that comes with a new Ford car or truck.

FordWarranty.jpg

Just what the fuck do you think that little bit of text in the red box means? Research before you post, dumbass.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Hey pacettr, you wanna know what pisses me off about assholes who post in someone's quoted text about shit that person provided as information being false? Two things idiot.

1. You can't be quoted. So don't go changing your fucking words on me. I've already screen captured your response.

No need to change my words. I'll leave them in red like these dumbass.
2. You're bitching about how people posting mis-information pisses you off when you yourself have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Thus resoundingly proving that you're a dickhead.

Check out page 6 of any 2011 or earlier Warranty Manual that comes with a new Ford car or truck.

FordWarranty.jpg

Just what the fuck do you think that little bit of text in the red box means? Research before you post, dumbass.

Dear stupid fuck:

I am a Sales Manager/Finance Director at the largest Ford dealer group in the state. We REGULARLY purchase rental vehicles to sell on our used car lot. The red box you hilighted doesn't apply to rental cars.

GFY :highfive:

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
I've bought a couple cars from carmax and 90% of those cars are rentals, The last car was a car for my wife, a '08 Sonata with 9000 miles, they had to tell me it was a rental, That being said it's been a good car and it did still have the factory warranty, I used it once for a bad tpms sensor.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i'm NO expert but i think ford means a factory warrenty is void in that manual, but it's not the case buying an after market warrenty, as is the case with all used car warrents.

OP, buy the car if it's a good deal with a warrenty. these guys can fight in a different thread about thier issue.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Dear stupid fuck:

I am a Sales Manager/Finance Director at the largest Ford dealer group in the state. We REGULARLY purchase rental vehicles to sell on our used car lot. The red box you hilighted doesn't apply to rental cars.

GFY :highfive:

Hmmm, well it must not be the factory warranty because every fucking Ford, Chevy or Dodge I've looked at that was a fucking rental car in a previous life had no warranty or it had a seller supplied supplemental warranty.

Show me something in writing that excludes rental cars from being considered commercial vehicles and I'll take your words to be true. Because calling Ford's customer service just now I was told the same fucking thing. NO WARRANTY. So shut the fuck up until you can prove it beyond your almighty "State's largest yayayayaya" bullshit. Your State's largest crap doesn't get warranty work done when a regular Joe buys a used fucking COMMERCIAL VEHICLE dipshit.

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
to be honest i wouldnt touch it...lets be honest how many times have you been behind the wheel of a rental car and just drove it like you stole it i know i have especiallly a car like a mustang gt you know people dogged the shit out of it... JMO

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back