Cams & Supercharger on my DD

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I came in contact with a shop who I have considered to let work on my car. My car is my DD and will be for a little longer, but my question to them was...I want a supercharger and cams is this possible on my DD? They said NO...I asked why and they simply stated that those mods on a DD aren't good together, especially if I was gonna drive it for over 4/5 hrs at a time. I usually drive my car up to 12hrs or more on numerous trips throughout the year, but if I can't use the car for what I want and get the mods I want then I have to rethink my plan.

Can you guys give me some insight on why this would be a problem?

And anyone with a supercharged and/or cam'd car how far have you been in your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
Depends on the cams and blower.

Far as cams, just make sure they are blower friendly cams.

But lots of people run cams/blowers on DD cars, just make sure got a good combo and tuned right.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I'd find another shop. It's definitely doable. Lots of guys are running aftermarket cams with boost on DDs.

GT E UPP

forum member
Reaction score
My summer daily driver has been cammed and blown for 6 years now without any issues what so ever. Are they serious... they obviously don't know what the He@% they are talking about !!

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. And that's exactly what I was thinking...I just had to make sure before spending money only to cause a problem

Viperrmk

forum member
Reaction score
I DD'ed my Procharged GT for a while. I don't have cam's but I think that shop doesn't know what they are talking about. What supercharger are you looking at?

You are not too far away from VMP or Power by the Hour....check those shops out.

Nick@JDM

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like an old skool or non specialty shop. Many supercharged engines we build for our customers have either our "Red Car" or race cams that get locked out and degreed for maxi maximum power or our "Sterling" street cams that use limiters. Both cam options give impressive gains and are both street-able.
2005-2010 3V MUSTANG GT CAMSHAFT UPGRAD PACKAGE BY JDM (Sterling)

That said, they do not offer like kind of idle that "hotrod" cams produce. They have a slight lope to them but nothing as aggressive as the hotrods. This is because they are purpose designed to be run on a supercharged application and increase power throughout the curve. While hotrods are for N/A applications.

Something like hot rod cams will work but will not produce much more power and can have higher IATs under normal driving conditions.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I DD'ed my Procharged GT for a while. I don't have cam's but I think that shop doesn't know what they are talking about. What supercharger are you looking at?

You are not too far away from VMP or Power by the Hour....check those shops out.

I'm about 90% sure that i'm going to do a vortech v3 but that DOB kit looks kinda cool.

I really asked this question for my dad who is thinking of a twin screw and some cams on his 2007, but he can't post here just yet…mods haven't given him access yet…

Sounds like an old skool or non specialty shop. Many supercharged engines we build for our customers have either our "Red Car" or race cams that get locked out and degreed for maxi maximum power or our "Sterling" street cams that use limiters. Both cam options give impressive gains and are both street-able.
2005-2010 3V MUSTANG GT CAMSHAFT UPGRAD PACKAGE BY JDM (Sterling)

That said, they do not offer like kind of idle that "hotrod" cams produce. They have a slight lope to them but nothing as aggressive as the hotrods. This is because they are purpose designed to be run on a supercharged application and increase power throughout the curve. While hotrods are for N/A applications.

Something like hot rod cams will work but will not produce much more power and can have higher IATs under normal driving conditions.

Thanks for the info…i'll def pass it on to my dad. I keep telling him to ditch the hot rods, but he wants that sound.

her name is ponie

forum member
Reaction score
I daily my blown 3V every day (unless it's down for mods or repairs) not a SINGLE issue with my blower set up, that being said after this weekend I'll be blown and cammed so i'll let you know my experience :)

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Well I guess my Mammoth and Hot Rod Cams would REALLY cause this guy to freak. I say move on....wow. Oh and by the way, tell him your interested in E85 LOL!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Find a new shop. Cams and a blower as a DD for over 3 years no issues other than lots of thumbs up!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Depends on the cam, really. Some are more street friendly than others. Can't really see why a blower wouldn't be street friendly though (other than the higher possibility of speeding tickets).

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth I have on my 2008 Bullitt Mustang over 43,000 miles.
It has been driven thousands of miles to Mustang events.
Those trips have been for like anywhere from 8 hrs. to 12 hrs. one way.

I will tell you this don't go Crazy on Real Lopey Cams.

They can be a Major Pain in the Ass !!!

You might wish to check with a Local Mustang Club and talk with them about what Shop or Shops they use where you live.

Hint:

Do your research, pick a Shop and then stick with it.

Terry

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies...my dad is getting first hand knowledge for his build. For me on the other hand I will be going with a vortec v3 and some comp 127550s

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back