comp cams 127200 problems :(

jsusnaim

Reaction score
I just took the car to the shop to install the comp cams NSR after install the car started with no trouble at all "as new".. When they took it to the dyno there is some issues between idle and 3k rpm like its runing lean, it suffers to go up when wot.. When it reachs 2600 everything come backs to normal.. There are no codes at all..

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you take it to the dyno to see the power gains or get it tuned for the cams?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you should get with Lito - he's a tuner in Venezuela

jsusnaim

Reaction score
We tryed to tune it.. I was a little far from lito.. I sent him some logs and afr.. I'm going to lito's place in about a week! But he thinks it could be a mechanic failure or a vaccum leak.. Where can I start the "troubleshooting" on this problem.. Everyone its happy with their comp cams.. I'm like dissapointed hehe.. Thanks in advance..

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So they cant get the tune straight im guessing? Double check timing and tq specs on the cam caps. Lito can help you with the datalog stuff.

jsusnaim

Reaction score
They don't tune sct devices.. The cams lopes more than I thought.. after 3k its climbs al the way to redline with no issues.. The problem its idle to 3k.. Vaccum gauge shows 17 at idle

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
They don't tune sct devices.. The cams lopes more than I thought.. after 3k its climbs al the way to redline with no issues.. The problem its idle to 3k.. Vaccum gauge shows 17 at idle

The 200's have identical durations as the 300's. The tuning for 300's is fairly simple and it should run ok without being tuned for them but they really should be tuned. You should see more vacuum, iirc with 300's I saw 22+. More than likely it's a vacuum leak somewhere. I've had lines come disconnected so well that they weren't found until I did a pull check and ran my hands over each one.

There shouldn't be much lope either. I hope you find it so it's driveable prior to your Lito trip.

jsusnaim

Reaction score
if the cam installer missed a tooth.. it would show any codes?.. the car lopes like a thumpr.. lol and misfiring at idle

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
It's very easy to crack a sparkplug, it may not show codes right away..Were the plugs removed for the cam install?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
if the cam installer missed a tooth.. it would show any codes?.. the car lopes like a thumpr.. lol and misfiring at idle

That would also account for the lower vacuum. One tooth equals 7.5 degrees. The phasers should try to adjust for it via the cam sensors. How well that works I don't know.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

That would also account for the lower vacuum. One tooth equals 7.5 degrees. The phasers should try to adjust for it via the cam sensors. How well that works I don't know.

Just checked the stock tune. VCT is limited to 0 degrees until 900 rpm by the oil temp table so there would be no way the ecu could try to correct it until 900.

A 13% load calls for 0 degrees of retard at all rpms. A 20% load is 0 until 1500. There would be no way a phaser could try to correct a missed tooth in those ranges either.

I'm sure lito will come up with your answer.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
you should get with Lito - he's a tuner in Venezuela

+1

We tryed to tune it.. I was a little far from lito.. I sent him some logs and afr.. I'm going to lito's place in about a week! But he thinks it could be a mechanic failure or a vaccum leak.. Where can I start the "troubleshooting" on this problem.. Everyone its happy with their comp cams.. I'm like dissapointed hehe.. Thanks in advance..

I am further then you and my car is running great with Lito working on the tune. Do you have the ability to pull the cover and retime the cams your self? If not, get someone who can do it and then go to Litos place for the tune. Or just get it there. Im sure he can fix your issues.

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Talked to Jesus already, he is already getting it checked.

One question, anyone has at hand the amount of links the 4.6 chain has? I just want to finally do the math and calculate how many turns it would take to repeat set points.

Also, the VCT system won't correct a bad degreeing, it does not even know is off. When you move the cam around, you move the zero too. So with a datalog of cam position you can not determine if the system is off or not.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
One question, anyone has at hand the amount of links the 4.6 chain has? I just want to finally do the math and calculate how many turns it would take to repeat set points.

Also, the VCT system won't correct a bad degreeing, it does not even know is off. When you move the cam around, you move the zero too. So with a datalog of cam position you can not determine if the system is off or not.

Wow, that was so obvious too. There I go thinking again.

Just counted a chain. 58 links.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back