Coyote vs 3v exhaust sound.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
They are distinctly different and you absolutely can hear the difference. I have been to the drag strip many times since 2011 (when the 5.0 debuted) and you can hear the difference plain as day when two cars are near each other.

I will have to ask next time at a track event from a spectator. The car sounds different from the inside. :) A couple of my track buddies have GT350s.

Several strangers have come up to me since the swap to complement on the car's exhaust, and to find out what is under the bonnet. :gr_grin:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My biggest turn off with the coyote sound is how the idle sounds (if you don't have cams or a ghost tune)...it has this wub-wub-wub sound to it.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The 4v 4.6L also has there own note. Doesn't really sound like 2v, coyote, or the 3v.

Best I could describe it is closer to the 2v tone but more bubble sound

I just wasn't really sure, but IMHO Ford should've carried over the 99-04 SVT 4v 4.6 motors and perhaps upgraded/tweaked them a bit for the 2005-10 S197 models instead of the 4.6 3v design.. Just saying :shrug:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
The 3V sounds like an old-school muscle car. The Coyote sounds more exotic, like a BMW V8 or even an Aston Martin, depending on what exhaust you have on it. If someone made an exhaust for my '11 that made it sound like a 2V with Flowmasters, I'd be all over it.

I'm not entirely sure how a tune would affect exhaust note, unless you're doing some really crazy stuff with cam timing (like a "ghost cam" tune).
+1

I love flowmasters on 2v's with an x pipe but not many others like the sound of dronemasters lol. Thats one reason I bought my 02 gt, I just had to have that sound again. I even went as far as to mid mount m80s and use sn95 flow tubes to emulate an sn95 exhaust setup in my 07. I wish the newer stangs sounded like the sn95's but Ive gotten used to the idea that it won't happen. My 07 is close enough and its unique so Im happy with it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just wasn't really sure, but IMHO Ford should've carried over the 99-04 SVT 4v 4.6 motors and perhaps upgraded/tweaked them a bit for the 2005-10 S197 models instead of the 4.6 3v design.. Just saying :shrug:
Variable valve timing, newer tech. But I agree, the 4.6 4v should have just gotten the VCT....

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will have to ask next time at a track event from a spectator. The car sounds different from the inside. :) A couple of my track buddies have GT350s.

Several strangers have come up to me since the swap to complement on the car's exhaust, and to find out what is under the bonnet. :gr_grin:

Coyotes sound good. Just different than a 2v/3V. They are sensitive to what muffler is one them IMO. I followed one car to the drag strip last year that sounded absolutely horrid. And at the track was another Coyote powered car that sounded amazing. Of course exhaust sound is like 100% subjective.

46addict

Reaction score
Nah I like having one cam per bank. Or just one cam in the block. $750 for cams is easier to swallow than $2k.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Variable valve timing, newer tech. But I agree, the 4.6 4v should have just gotten the VCT....

I agree, Ford could've just upgraded the 4.6 4v with VCT and called it a day lol.

Nah I like having one cam per bank. Or just one cam in the block. $750 for cams is easier to swallow than $2k.

From a cost effective point of view, I would have to agree by giving the 4.6 3v the advantage.. However the 4.6 4v had a slight advantage over the 4.6 3v in HP/TQ.. But where the 4.6 4v really shined IMHO was that it didn't have that bullshit drive by wire tech and most of all, those dreaded 2 piece designed spark plugs which were well known for breaking inside the heads of the 2005-early/mid 2008 4.6 3v's.. Therefore in the end, I suppose it all comes down to what you would consider as being easier to swallow over the other :shrug:

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Coyote firing order: 15486372
4.6 firing order: 13726548

Seems the Coyote setup will send more even exhaust pulses and could be better for heat management of the cylinders, as you don't have two cylinders on the same bank firing in sequence like on the 4.6.
Look again.

The 2-1 and the 8-6 firing sequences are still same-bank. Just different cylinder pairs (and the "immediately adjacent" cylinder pair jumps from the 6-5 to the 2-1 side and the 1-3 is 8-6 instead). Any sound differences from that would be from different exhaust routings forced by other things such as the need to provide room for the steering column.

The only "even exhaust pulsing" from a V8 is from a flat-plane crank. Like the VooDoo, or better still a Voodoo with 4 into 1 primaries instead of the cobbled attempt Ford did use to make the GT350 sound closer to "V8 Traditional".

Norm

46addict

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. My brain stopped counting after the last digit and didn't think of the firing order as a continuous loop.

46addict

Reaction score
The drive by wire can be a pain but when tuned right it feels just like a cable throttle. Cables can stretch and snap as much as TB motors can fail. I haven't had issues with the plugs either. Pulling them out every 10-15k to check them will prevent them from seizing or breaking. My only complaint about those is the cost so if I see them discounted I hoard a set or two. Another possible downfall of the 3v is the VCT. Guys who race lock it out but for most people it's great thing to have - only when it's working right.

Stock vs stock there is barely any power difference between a 3v and a NA 4.6 4v setup but the 4v will be the preferred head for max effort builds.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
However the 4.6 4v had a slight advantage over the 4.6 3v in HP/TQ.
Not as much as having that 4th valve suggests should have been the case, though.

I wish the 4.6 had come in a 4V version. Even if I was going to go with a hotter set of cams, I'd still rather start at the higher performance point and higher potential. It's not like I'm going to try lots of different sets like some people used to do back in the day with a different cam in their SBC every time you turned around.

Bad enough the entire modular engine family was hamstrung with such small cylinder bores and stroke dimensions equal to or greater than that. Emissions influence aside, I could easily blame that on the same people who later came up with that 2-piece plug design that flew in the face of literally billions of plugs that didn't prefer to break upon removal.

Norm

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
I loved the way my yote sound with corsa extreme full system, but nothing beats a 5.4 on corsas.

Last edited:

Yeti

Reaction score
I have no basis for comparison but my 2011 GT Coyote sounds fantastic with the factory Ford GT500 mufflers. Awesome cold start sound with the high idle and then settles down to a quiet burble. Absolutely NO DRONE and almost as quiet as stock until I crack it open, :) When I do I am too busy driving the car to worry about the quality of the sound.

I could only be happier if I had more money, which I do after not spending big bucks on a complete exhaust!

Mojo88

Reaction score
AFAIK the biggest item to change the exhaust note is exhaust configuration. Installing 'tuned' headers makes all engines sound somewhat similar, with a nice smooth NASCAR growl. I am doing that now on my 2010 4.6L.

Look at these stock manifolds and it's easy to see that the exhaust pulses will be bunching up on their way out and will result in that "classic muscle car" sound, which basically means it sounds like an old farm tractor, LOL. And oh BTW, these manifolds have whopping 2" outlets, haha. But I'm still making 625rwhp through them..........................
exmanifolds.jpg

Compare those crappy manifolds to these equal-length Kooks headers that I'm installing and it's easy to see that the exhaust note will change dramatically.
headers22.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It looks like the 4.6 has one more same bank event than the 5.0. It's not the manifolds.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back