Drag racer headed to Sebring!

Shawn Sexton

Reaction score
I've done 10-12 track weekends at sebring with various clubs w/stock 2010 GT and Pzeros. The only mods I did were ATE blue fluid, and hawk pads (DT70 front DT60 rear) as recommended by Jason at Andrew Racing. No issues at all, just drive and have fun. (This is just my perspective of what is a good starting point)

Reaction score
didn't read every post word for word, but in case it was missed:

Make sure traction control is off. You could go through your rear pads before you're done.

I also agree that renting a car is a good idea. no fuss, no muss.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I've done 10-12 track weekends at sebring with various clubs w/stock 2010 GT and Pzeros. The only mods I did were ATE blue fluid, and hawk pads (DT70 front DT60 rear) as recommended by Jason at Andrew Racing. No issues at all, just drive and have fun. (This is just my perspective of what is a good starting point)

nice, i just changed the fluids to the blue stuff!

didn't read every post word for word, but in case it was missed:

Make sure traction control is off. You could go through your rear pads before you're done.

I also agree that renting a car is a good idea. no fuss, no muss.

My traction control is almost always off,i triedlooking breifly for a place to rent a car, didnt come up with much other than some super exotic cars or totyota camrys,lol.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Avis, Budget and Alamo all have Mustangs for rent... Yes, they're the V6 auto models, but for purposes of this discussion, sufficient for the purpose!

Ian_117

forum member
Reaction score
brakes are the biggest thing seebring kills...

Better have some type of brake ducts made... Otherwise you will have to stop and let your brakes cool down pretty often...

And after your first trip you will want to go buy bigger brakes as the stock ones kinda suck (for gt that is)

Best to have an extra set of pads or two just in case

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I'm no pro, this is my first outing so I will be in the novice class. So here is my to-do list as of now:

New blue brake fluid flushed few months back

New tires to replace the drag radials and worn out fronts, probably 555's
BMR rear sway bar and end links ( havnt looked at the white line yet)
BMR rear sway bar relocation kit
BMR front sway bar
BMR front radiator support with sway bar mounts
Rotors?
Pads?
Helmet with 2013 cert

Which brings me to my front struts, in order to attach my ground control coil over sleeves, I had to remove the spring perch and weld on a small flange for the sleeve to sit on, to get the sleeve low enough I also had to remove the sway bar mount. So I have 4 options:
1) new struts , not sure what kind, want to keep the coil overs
2) throw the stock struts back on , not sure what to do about the springs at that point
3) find some new mounts to weld to the Koni down lower where they will fit
4) find some kind of clamp on mount, like what the eibach coil overs use

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
1) stock springs/struts and sway bars any good?

2) if I wanted to upgrade from these stock componants what should be the order of importance?

3) wheels and tires? Is there a best bang for the buck?

I'm excited to go, I know I need to convert the car over...I only have 2 months to do it!

1) no

2) IMO, pads/rotors/fluid, shocks, struts, springs, swaybars, control arms

3) Used GT500s with 275/40-18 NT01s

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Registered, booked a balcony room at the hairpin and rented a stall for the weekend...just got to convert the car over now!

neema

forum member
Reaction score
what everyone else said.

this may seem obvious, but remember to put both hands on the steering wheel (start at ~9 oclock and 3 oclock). it pains me to see guys go out on track and hit a track hard with one hand on the shifter and one hand on the wheel. both hands on the wheel at all times unless you're shifting.

and have lots of fun :)

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
what everyone else said.

this may seem obvious, but remember to put both hands on the steering wheel (start at ~9 oclock and 3 oclock). it pains me to see guys go out on track and hit a track hard with one hand on the shifter and one hand on the wheel. both hands on the wheel at all times unless you're shifting.

and have lots of fun :)

MANY times on track, I've had to take no-notice sudden emergency evasive action... I have yet had that same urgency with a shift! Neema is right: Hands at 9:00 and 3:00 at all times unless in the act of shifting. That hand position gives you the best possible leverage in either direction, and having them "locked" there gives you a solid reference point to get back to TDC on the wheel. Also, adjust your seat so that you can put either foot on the floor, past the pedal without going to full-lock on your knee, AND so that you can drape your hand over the top of the wheel and fold your hand downward WITHOUT pulling a shoulder off the back of the seat. When you get into that position, you will have the MOST control over the car, the best tactile feedback (wheel, pedals, and ass), and in the end, the most relaxed posture. Avoid the straight-arm thing to the wheel like the plague. If you normally sit back, it will feel like you're sitting on top of the wheel, but I think you'll very quickly see the benefits to that particular position.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Hopefully I made the right decision. I really liked my extreme anti roll bar. But it's off and the eibach is now on. It was a huge PITA.... I needed to relocate the sway bar for when I use my 15" drag wheels....my CHE LCA relocation brackets did not give my sway bar clearance so a grinder was needed!

Anyone run the extreme anti roll bar on a road course, auto-x?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
BF4559F2-F8F3-48C3-A6E2-4D37ED50192A-3851-000006B4E8153C93_zps97690df4.jpg

Tires are here, continental 275/35/18 take-off slicks with a few laps on them. They look great.not bad for $145!

Tomorrow should be picking up the radiator support with sway ar mounts so I can start the front sway bar.

Are Meghan coil overs any good? I still need a way to mount the sway bar to the front struts so I may just get some new coil overs.

GT_350

Reaction score
What club are you going to be running with? What dates?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Awesome!

Today I attempted to replace my radiator support with a new one that has the sway bar mounts.....real pain trying to get to clear my turbo piping....nothing I can't take care of with the welder I guess.

DRock

Reaction score
BF4559F2-F8F3-48C3-A6E2-4D37ED50192A-3851-000006B4E8153C93_zps97690df4.jpg

Tires are here, continental 275/35/18 take-off slicks with a few laps on them. They look great.not bad for $145!

Tomorrow should be picking up the radiator support with sway ar mounts so I can start the front sway bar.

Are Meghan coil overs any good? I still need a way to mount the sway bar to the front struts so I may just get some new coil overs.

These are going to hide a lot of the shitty driving you will end up doing and make your learning curve worse. You r supposed to learn on street tires.

But damn good price

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure I'm running them just yet, good price so I had no voice right? Lol....I may just buy some new street tires for my wheels because I don't want to risk it if it ends up raining or something...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back