Dumb question from fairly new guy

whitey09

Reaction score
So i am changing my oil today and my friends have been telling me to change out all fluids to synthetic while i'm at it. I use mobil 1 synthetic in the engine but haven't changed anything else since buying the car new.
I have a 2008 gt manual with 21000 miles and am wondering if it's worth changing the other fluids (i.e. trans, rearend) or should i leave it alone since it's just a bone stock car at the moment.

If i should change them, what should i use?

Sorry in advance for the pitiful newb question but since i haven't modded anything yet, this is all i really have to consider at the moment.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
+1 on owners manual. They clearly state maintenance intervals. Not tech.

whitey09

Reaction score
So leave the oe fluids and dont use anything else is what i'm hearing here. I wasn't asking about intervals i've just been pressured to "upgrade" to synthetic like it will make some sort of difference. I don't really see a need which is why i figured i'd ask the "big boys" on this forum since it's the only forum i trust.

I guess i could see a need if my car was modified but stock. Seems to me that i should leave well enough alone.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So leave the oe fluids and dont use anything else is what i'm hearing here. I wasn't asking about intervals i've just been pressured to "upgrade" to synthetic like it will make some sort of difference. I don't really see a need which is why i figured i'd ask the "big boys" on this forum since it's the only forum i trust.

I guess i could see a need if my car was modified but stock. Seems to me that i should leave well enough alone.
I'm the only big boy here. The rest of these pansies shop in the boys section at Walmart. :beerdrink:

Leave your fluids alone and tell your super smart friends to STFU.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
I'm the only big boy here. The rest of these pansies shop in the boys section at Walmart. :beerdrink:

Leave your fluids alone and tell your super smart friends to STFU.
LOL Hey man I saw you at the boys section too. Don't lie.

Eldude

forum member
Reaction score
To be honest changing the trans fluid is pretty simple, can't hurt to switch over to synthetic

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL Hey man I saw you at the boys section too. Don't lie.
Yeah, when I was 6.

To be honest changing the trans fluid is pretty simple, can't hurt to switch over to synthetic
True, but there's no reason for him to do that at this point. When it's time (RTFM), think about it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for that.

Thread over.

whitey09

Reaction score
Okay my riceboy friends are dumb. Thread over. I'll come again when the mod bug has some funding.

Thank you

BlueByYou

Tuscarora Native American
Reaction score
The rear is filled with synthetic from Ford because they require no changing for the life of the car. I just talked to Bob Hanlon(a 5-speed professional)of Hanlon Motorsports a few weeks ago,he suggested Royal Purple's Syncro-mesh EVEN on stock trannys.He told me it would make the syncronizers last alot longer if you powershift your tranny any.Plus he said it was worth a few horse's to the wheels.The sooner you change it,the longer your tranny will last he stated.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back