Dyno results - Gas vs E85

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Lito finished with my tune today, remotely on the DynoJet at RMCR here in Colorado Springs.

Keep in mind these numbers are corrected for altitude.

The baseline was 679/685 rwhp from back in December. This was a rich tune, with conservative timing.

After cleaning the air model up, the numbers were 685/689. Nearly identical.

Once the car cooled down, we pumped the last gallon of 91 octane out (couldn't have planned that better) and poured in 10 gallons of E85 (vial tested at 85%).

At the same boost 115+ more HP and 100+ more torque. Pretty impressive.

I ran E85 for almost two years before moving out to Peyton, which had no stations nearby. Within the last few months, about 5 more stations with E85 popped up... one on my way to work each day, so switching back was a no-brainer.

We tried to run more boost, but I was getting misfires. Lito's questioning the gap, which I'm pretty sure was set to .032" (stock Motorcraft plugs), but I'm not 100% sure. Dyno operator seemed to think it was spark blowout, too. It definitely wasn't too rich. I'll probably post another thread about that, after I do some more reading.

Here's a graph with the two runs back-to-back. 91 octane is in blue, E85 is in green. Should be pretty convincing for anyone who's on the fence about switching....

(click for large)

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I best see this at the strip when they open up!

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I best see this at the strip when they open up!
Damn straight. I can't sleep at night thinking about it....

Mike at RMCR say there's a guy who does a track rental at Pueblo every February, but he hasn't hear from him about this year. There's another friend of his that does them on occasion, too. Pretty cool that Pueblo may not be open to the public, but they'll let you reserve the track for a day. I think both guys charge like $50 or something. It's not much more than it costs to go during an normal event.

I'll pass it on to the few COS'ers here when I find out more.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I've only heard of private lapping days at pueblo...never someone buying it out for a drag day. Let me know either way!

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
How much timing did you end up doing on the E85 tune? I know I ran as high as 24 degrees on my car last season but that was around 11-12psi of boost. On 15psi I was 21-22 degrees.

No clue what my new engine is going to do this year but I can't wait to find out. Once I get my car inspected (have to put cats and normal mufflers back on), I'll probably make a few passes on 93 octane fuel, then switch to E85 at the same boost to compare and then finally turn up the wick.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
How much timing did you end up doing on the E85 tune? I know I ran as high as 24 degrees on my car last season but that was around 11-12psi of boost. On 15psi I was 21-22 degrees.
What plugs/gap were you using at 15psi?

As for timing, I have no idea... to be honest. Lito runs that show. ;) I know there is more timing on the "final" 14psi tune. Lito took some out to make sure 18psi was safe. Had the run gone well, he probably would've added some back.

Even if I knew what the timing was, it word likely not be a good comparison. I'm at 6400ft, so we can typically run 2-3* more than sea level. I don't know if Lito has taken that into consideration, but my guess is that he has. He certainly is good at covering all the angles. Maybe he'll chime in.

No clue what my new engine is going to do this year but I can't wait to find out. Once I get my car inspected (have to put cats and normal mufflers back on), I'll probably make a few passes on 93 octane fuel, then switch to E85 at the same boost to compare and then finally turn up the wick.
Being able to switch fuel right there at the dyno was pretty freaking cool. When the track opens, and assuming I have my traction issues sorted out, I'll probably do the same some thing (run on pump gas vs a run on E85).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
What plugs/gap were you using at 15psi?

As for timing, I have no idea... to be honest. Lito runs that show. ;) I know there is more timing on the "final" 14psi tune. Lito took some out to make sure 18psi was safe. Had the run gone well, he probably would've added some back.

Even if I knew what the timing was, it word likely not be a good comparison. I'm at 6400ft, so we can typically run 2-3* more than sea level. I don't know if Lito has taken that into consideration, but my guess is that he has. He certainly is good at covering all the angles. Maybe he'll chime in.

Being able to switch fuel right there at the dyno was pretty freaking cool. When the track opens, and assuming I have my traction issues sorted out, I'll probably do the same some thing (run on pump gas vs a run on E85).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Same plugs, Autolite HT0's gapped at .032. I don't know the differences but I'm using a tvs blower while you are turbo and I'm sure your engine is more efficient given your heads compared to mine. My old setup was with stock heads and 127300 cams.

In case you're interested I just read through this thread regarding E85 and timing...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447486

I am going to try a bunch of different timings this year, especially now that I have the pro-racer software. Of course this will be with Lito's guidance :roflmao:

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice. With all the Kum and Go's that have gone up in the last 6 months I hope to switch to e85 as well. Got one right down the road.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Very nice. With all the Kum and Go's that have gone up in the last 6 months I hope to switch to e85 as well. Got one right down the road.
They're the best thing that's happened to gas stations here in a while. Hard to believe I can be excited about a new gas station.... sheesh.

Seriously, though... they're in great locations, too. I'd love to see E85 catch on to the point where it's available at the majority of stations.
Very nice!
Thanks!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gah! I'm switching my car to E85 when the turbo goes on. I can't wait to see what it will do!

Congrat's on yours!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
E85 is about the cheapest horsepower gain for forced induction. It's good to see your project getting finalized.

What was the correction factor? I've seen them as high as 1.25 in higher elevations. Also, what do you do about the boost at lower elevations? Just run it or dial it down?

Looks good!

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Did they happen to be logging boost on the dyno? I'd love to see the boost curves of the pump gas vs E85 tune. I ran as much as 24* of timing on my F1, with 27psi of boost. E85 LOVES timing with a FI car!!!

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
What was the correction factor? I've seen them as high as 1.25 in higher elevations.

I got dynotuned at the same place this time last year and the SAE came in at 1.27

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back