Edelbrock Stage 2 Supercharger install

Laga

Reaction score
I’m spoiled. The closest is less than a mile, and two others within 3 miles.
I also installed an inline sensor that reads ethanol content on a gauge, so I can change tunes accordingly to seasonal changes in content. I even have a 90% ethanol race tune.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Fun fact . . . in July 2016, the Feds approved new pump labeling for ethanol.

The stations can either label ethanol content in 10% increments OR simply label all gasolines over a certain percentage ethanol content as "Flex Fuel 51-83%." As you might guess, this is the easier and more liability conscious way to label, so more and more places are going to it.

In my area, I didn't think there was E85 around. Turns out, the Sheetz stores in my area, which all have the 51-83 label, are selling stuff that is E85ish during the summer and E70ish during the winter. Here I was thinking E85 was available as an option, and it was all along.

forum member
Reaction score
Specifically?
2. A head with replaceable cam bearings, 37mm intake valves, re-shaped intake port with much less material around the spark plug boss. Exhaust port should have a deeper pocket, especially on the long side above the exhaust valve.

Edelbrock has always been a leader in performance parts, I'm sure they have the expertise to do better than the current offererings on the market. I don't expect to see them at this point with the 3v being out of production for so long now but whatever

While this is a great idea, I don't need them to get that fancy. I just want quality new heads to be available when the OEM supply dries up. Ford prices have crept up. A pair of heads with valves (no cam) for my 2006 are $1300. If you have no core, add $500.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Is that for a performance head? That's not that bad, if so. If it's just a stock head, then yeah, 1300 is a lot.

forum member
Reaction score
Is that for a performance head? That's not that bad, if so. If it's just a stock head, then yeah, 1300 is a lot.
Stock. Here is where it gets odd. A bare right head only is $894. That is more than $200 more than a head with valves.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
That's crazy... Is anyone making high performance 3v heads? Or are they all stock heads that are ported and polished?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Which is a crying shame..

Not really. The stock heads were well designed so they don't need an enormous amount of work done to make them even better. I'm sure a company like Edelbrock would probably step in when the number of stock cores diminishes to the point that it would be worth their while to fill the void. That said, the 3V engine had a pretty short production run so there may not be much demand.

Laga

Reaction score
Not really. The stock heads were well designed so they don't need an enormous amount of work done to make them even better. I'm sure a company like Edelbrock would probably step in when the number of stock cores diminishes to the point that it would be worth their while to fill the void. That said, the 3V engine had a pretty short production run so there may not be much demand.
DOB claims stock heads are good to 700HP before porting is needed

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
DOB claims stock heads are good to 700HP before porting is needed

It's a different situation on a forced induction set up. Just as with LT headers, ported heads allow you to make more power from the same amount of boost (or the same amount of power from less boost).

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Generally, the equation for HP capability of a N/A motor is:
Airflow (in CFM) x 0.257 x # of cylinders= max HP
So a stock 3V head
245 x 0.257 x 8 = 503.74 HP.

I am not sure exactly how to apply it to power adder applications but generally, boost doesn't discriminate and adds power to the curve proportinal to boost pressure until you reach the limit of the fuel you are using or the limit of the hardware components.

DOB's 700 hp figure probably is based on the fact that the boost pressures required to go over 700 hp with stock heads start to stress pump gas so at that point you need the motor to breathe better.

Maypo

Reaction score
Dyno Final.jpg Car.jpg car on Dyno.jpg drive shaft (2).jpg pallet (2).jpg in the box (2).jpg Mr Brown (2).jpg OK guys sorry for the delay! Dan and his team at Pro Dyno are really excellent. First pull we hit 500 RWHP and over 475 ft-lbs, so he pulled back on the tune a bit to be safe on the stock non-forged internals. Ok by me! BTW only 20k on the engine.

We landed at 468 HP and 457 ft lbs at the wheels. The car has Comp Stage 1 NSR cams and stock manifolds with Manga Flow x pipe and cat back exhaust, it sounded awesome up around 120 mph! I also was able to get a one piece drive shaft from the drive shaft shop, really a nice piece.

Originally I had a set of M/T ET Street SS tires but with the rain I opted not to use them. The M/T Street Comps hooked up extremely well. In fact I used my 255/45R 18 in the rear and they were great. I have since mounted a set of 275/40R 18 Street Comps.

I ran into a bt of trouble with the GT 500 fuel pump that I'll be looking into this weekend.

Overall this was a a great experience. I am not sure I will leave the 4.10 gears in since it shifts much too quickly through the gears. Thinking maybe 3.55, it's got so much power and the torque curve is so flat!

Laga

Reaction score
Nice! Did you see my question about cleaning the inside of the intercooler?

Maypo

Reaction score
View attachment 71745 I did my own install 3 years ago on my 05 with 48K. Since then, Ive added cam, headers, and exhaust. Three months ago, I converted to E85 and raised boost up to 8 pounds. Haven't dyno`ed new setup yet. I had Lito tune the car after a real crappy experience with Brenspeed. What a difference!
Since you are with Edelbrock, you will be the perfect person to answer my question. I called their customer service, but couldn't get a definitive answer.
Does the top of the E-Force unit come off easily so the intercooler can be removed and cleaned? There has been an air filter on it of course, but with the PCV going into the engine after the throttle body, I believe there must be some buildup on it? Can you help?
Nice! Did you see my question about cleaning the inside of the intercooler?

LOL I was just trying to see how to respond...let me see what I can find out. I have not heard of anyone doing this but that does not mean you can't. BTW where did you find that tower brace? My Ford Racing one won't fit anymore. Marc

Laga

Reaction score
F042531D-7D12-4BAF-A877-302B0EAA6CC2.jpeg F6A8D412-BB7C-4E8E-B2AA-1CA7AB399FCF.jpeg That one came from CJ Pony. I have a used Boss 302 strut tower brace that I had before. Let me know if you’re interested.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back