Forged Bottom end?

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about forging the bottom end with the thought that next year it will probably get a supercharger. What is everyone doing for cranks / Rods / Pistons.

The cobra crank seems to be very popular along with Manley rods. I would like something that would support some healthy boost numbers down the road.

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
As a side note does anyone know what the dish is on the stock pistons? I know the CP ratio is 9.8 but can't find the cc of the dish

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just opted for an Eagle stroker kit..It used the stock bore but ends up 298 ci and is very affordable. It requires no boring of the block so it saves money..it is very strong and a complete kit is affordable. I went with Diamond pistons. Going to lower the CR slightly to run more boost plus spray.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I have a Cobra crank, Scat H-beam rods, and custom JE pistons.

DSC07598.JPG

DSC07596.JPG

DSC07589.JPG

DSC07591.JPG

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Don;
Did you get yours as a kit or did you buy each piece?

Last edited:

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
I just opted for an Eagle stroker kit..It used the stock bore but ends up 298 ci and is very affordable. It requires no boring of the block so it saves money..it is very strong and a complete kit is affordable. I went with Diamond pistons. Going to lower the CR slightly to run more boost plus spray.

I guess at 18,000 miles mine would not need boring either just not sure of getting all of the clearances within spec that way. Did you put your short block together or have someone do it?

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess at 18,000 miles mine would not need boring either just not sure of getting all of the clearances within spec that way. Did you put your short block together or have someone do it?

I tore it down just to expidite everything...I need to get the heads sent off quickly as they will take the longest to get back. I am having a shop assemble it just because I don't have all the proper tools to check bearing clearances and thrust etc..and if THEY long block it...its easier for me not to miss anything!

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
As a side note does anyone know what the dish is on the stock pistons? I know the CP ratio is 9.8 but can't find the cc of the dish

I asked this question recently, http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2488.

I was told in that thread that they are 5cc. I would agree with that from what I have found from Piston manufactures. They offer 5cc - 6cc as the stock cc.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im using a cobra crank, Ross 17cc dish pistons, and manley H beam Rods

In my opinion you should have a shortblock made for you. IT means no downtime for you and you can get a teksid aluminum block really cheap. To me it was worth the aproximate 500 bucks to build a motor completely seperate from my stocker. I would talk to Larry_H about it. He does excellent work, is truly a one on one person and is always available to talk or discuss your plans.

Teksid Block
Block Cleaning
Block Magnaflux
Boring/Honing
Cobra Steel Crank Crankshaft Sonic Tested
Crankshaft Turned/Polished
Rotating Assembly Balanced Manley H-Beam Connecting Rods Part #: 14042-8R,
ARP Rod Bolts Ross Forged 2618 Alloy -16cc Dish Pistons Part # 99806, Ross Piston Rings Ross Piston Coating (Thermal Barrier Ceramic/Hard Skirt Coating) Part #: EPC104 Ford Stock 4.6L 3V Oil Pump
Clevite Main Bearings
Clevite Rod Bearings ARP Main Cap Stud Kit Part# 256-5802
ARP Head Stud Kit Part # 156-4201 Fel Pro Engine Gasket Set

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the same setup as Ron as Larry Hays build my engine the exact same except for the VTC and Cams.

Back