Fuck this 5R55s.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like I managed to kill the second one...

2.3l G2 Whipple at 11psi/4.10s/3100ish TC in "built" 5R55S/87k on stock motor/4050lbs without driver.

Car hasn't been raced since October 3rd. Night before last we noticed about a 6" puddle that looked like it was right below the engine oil drain plug. Checked oil level - fine. Checked the plug but it was tight - couldn't tell if the washer was on there though. Yesterday I took the car back to Ford (who recently did the oil change), got the car in the air and there it was - ATF everywhere (should have checked the fluid on the ground /Homer). The service writer there told me it was the tranny's pump seal. I put some ATF in the car, level looked good on the aftermarket dipstick, and drove it a half mile to where I had the tranny rebuilt 2 years ago (pre-blower). I was a little nervous to deal with these guys - I had just smoked one of their shop cars at Kingdon Raceway on the 3rd.

The head guy there mentioned the problem with the 5R55S venting and making a mess - I told him I had heard of that and was in the process of making a resevoir that I was going to mount to the fire wall...

Then he tells me about a smaller, 2nd release valve on the tranny. He said that the small one needs to be plugged and the larger one that we're familiar with needs to vent to a catch-can/reservoir. Anyone heard of this 2nd release valve? He said to try this and drive it around for a week and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then go after the pump seals.

Since we are not allowed to buy anything pre-assembled, I was already fabbing up my own catch can and should have it done tomorrow and be able to get it installed Sunday. Back up onto the jackstands she goes...

TIA

5r55s.jpg

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks man. Hope it is something simple. Who was it "built" by?

Since we are not allowed to buy anything pre-assembled

Not sure what you are saying here. Who isn't allowed to buy anything pre-assembled, and why?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Not sure what you are saying here. Who isn't allowed to buy anything pre-assembled, and why?

Probably a Jerry Brown Cali Crazy regulation

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Probably a Jerry Brown Cali Crazy regulation

Crap. Only I could send my own thread sideways. That was a jab/joke from a previous/similar thread.

Tranny was (re-)built up locally using parts suggested at the time from a couple of other tranny builders. Remember, we're talking two years ago, well before I decided to get blown.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Since we are not allowed to buy anything pre-assembled, I was already fabbing up my own catch can and should have it done tomorrow and be able to get it installed Sunday. Back up onto the jackstands she goes...

View attachment 9720
If you got the money to overpower the tranny......You should have the money to rebuild it yourself! j/k Hope you get it back on the road 100% soon.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are two vents, you can see both connected to the breaded line (black hose)
PDRM1811.jpg

PDRM1813.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran the catch can which I got from ST. I know JDM also makes one. But you should be able to fab one up yourself and if you make any mistakes you will learn alot. You need to read up on transmission rebuilding so you can do that yourself also.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Anyone know if that line at the T is a return and/or vacuum line that may be plugged-up, sending more fluid to the front?

5710005r55s.jpg

PDRM1813.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I took out my 5R55s to get rebuilt last year, I swear to God I don't remember that t fitting. I remember it like the TCI trans, just one line from the rear to the bellhousing--thats it.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Either way, if the fluid is coming from that line, the catch can will fix the problem. What confuses me is the following---if your trans is doing that, it should have done that since race#1. It just doesn't start doing it, and in my experience, only when pushing the car very hard (not just street driving).

Only other explanation I can think of is if the trans is overfilled--but I thought I remembered you added the deep pan and dipstick, right?

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'`m hatin this 5r55s aswell, I bet my solenoid is giving up, O/D light blinks always and sometimes shifts are hard to engage, major slippage. Oil is somewhat burnt aswell.

The worst part of it is that the car has only 19K miles ....

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I'`m hatin this 5r55s aswell, I bet my solenoid is giving up, O/D light blinks always and sometimes shifts are hard to engage, major slippage. Oil is somewhat burnt aswell.

The worst part of it is that the car has only 19K miles ....

Wow, that is pretty shitty..

And Roper, there's a 3650 on the cheap in Cali... :whistling:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you got the money to overpower the tranny......You should have the money to rebuild it yourself! j/k Hope you get it back on the road 100% soon.

damn that sounds familiar....did I just read something like that the other day.........lol

spyder7724

Reaction score
i had a shitload of fluid running out after installing the new engine. i guess 7400rpms is a bit much for the 5r55s....lets see how it likes bouncing off the 7700rpm factory limiter this weekend :)
anyway the catch can i made cured the issue. no more leaks on my trailer or in my garage, parking lots etc.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are two vents, you can see both connected to the breaded line (black hose)
PDRM1811.jpg

PDRM1813.jpg

They changed the design of the trans vents in 07 to a dual vent system and they way you have it pictured here is how we run the lines when we install our catch cans.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back