How does an 05-09 handle a supercharger?

Emt1581

Reaction score
When putting a supercharger on a car, sometimes you have to look at other parts to support the upgrade... maybe a new clutch, trans, brakes, suspension, etc...

When it comes to the earlier S197's...what considerations and parts are needed beyond the blower kit?

Any known issues that make it a bad idea to add a supercharger to one?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Did you search?

450tq is engines limit. Clutch probably isnt anymore if you do a lot of launches. Not 100% on tranny, rear end will twist with high hp sticky launches with really short 60' times.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
None for me so far have about 1500 miles on mine. Car had 120k on it when I put it on. Making 400 to the wheels at the moment. Bought the tvs 1.9 upgrade will be going on hopefully in the next 2 weeks as soon as it gets here. At that time will put it back on the dyno for a after comparison. I'm hoping to be right at 450-460. So I would t be scared of installing one on yours.

Emt1581

Reaction score
450tq is engines limit

So I can push a 5.0 to go from 435 to 700-800hp but less than a half a liter less and the limits are proportionally less? No arguing, and I really appreciate the info, but I definitely don't understand it.

Even with the limitations, for the money, the 300hp that these cars give trumps anything else in the same price range.

Thanks

-Emt1581

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I can push a 5.0 to go from 435 to 700-800hp but less than a half a liter less and the limits are proportionally less? No arguing, and I really appreciate the info, but I definitely don't understand it.

Even with the limitations, for the money, the 300hp that these cars give trumps anything else in the same price range.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Rods are the weak point on 3V. Block is weak point on coyote. 3V block is actually better for big HP builds. Coyote guys over 700-800 need to spend money on a modified block in addition to rods and pistons.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. 3v rods and pistons are 450tq or so. Blocks been used for 1200hp or so, and crank is fine for 700-800hp iirc.

Basic build replacing rods and pistons will up the limit to 700+ easily with supporting fuel. And then drive train is the weak link

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
This is how they handle it

you mean this is how
I mean technically this was turbo'd not sc, and untuned, and wrong fuel, and wastegate backwards, etc etc....but still funny
gc9R5vw.png

9byjx8K.png

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:thud:

at least it's not in tech

tons of info if you look

46addict

Reaction score
you mean this is how
I mean technically this was turbo'd not sc, and untuned, and wrong fuel, and wastegate backwards, etc etc....but still funny

Moment of silence for that poor motor..

To answer the OP, 450whp is the limit of the stock rods and pistons as said before. I am making 429/380 on my supercharged car with stock internals and it's working out well for me. Driveability is better than stock and I can still manage 22mpg on highway rides. No track times yet because I haven't had the funds for a decent tire/wheel setup. Once you upgrade the weak links in the engine, fuel octane and the transmission/clutch/differential become limiting factors. If you have access to E85 or 100+ octane and a budget to replace the mentioned weak links, sky's the limit. At that level you'll be constantly tinkering with the car to upgrade systems and replace broken parts. It's not as easy as turning it up to 10 and making power once you go beyond stock internal power levels. There are lots of build threads in Chit Chat that tell the tales.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Stock block held up well for over 30k. I had a long block built with boss rods, Wiseco Pistons, and upgraded the oil pump.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I still say the limitations of the motor are strictly coupled to the tune and conditions. If you're building a boosted motor for the track, your borrowed time may be much shorter than that of a street car. I don't track my car since the bottle came off and the blower went on. I've been at the limits for over 2 years now, no signs of the motor ready to give up. While I have some supporting mods, none of them are really meant to support the motor. My 3650 has been through 1.6 60' consistantly when it was tracked, never launched it on the bottle though. Plenty of 6k/rpm dumps off a 2-step. I'm beyond the 3650's rated limits every time I take it above 3,500rpm. The rear was built from day 1, it should be mandatory 1st mod if you're not going to leave your 'stang stock. Save you alot of headache down the road. The only parts that have failed on me, are the OEM alternator (which I rectified by putting a crown vic police interceptor 205A alt on), the VCT (replaced with a full FRPP timing kit and new updated solenoids), and the TPS sensor. Most of my issues have always been tune related. I could probably avoid even the tune issues if I just let Lito tune it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back