How Much is Too Much....

07 Boss

Reaction score
...tire movement on the rim? Below is a pic of my tire after 4 runs. The arrow is from before that session and used to be lined up with the valve stem.

Below is the left side tire with the arrow not moving away from the original spot on this particular session, but the blue mark was from when I ran about 4 months ago. I had the tires installed the same week as the blue mark and I think it might have been from excess tire lube still present after the install. But there is still the movement on the right side (1st pic) that concerns me a bit. Should I be concerned at all?

travelers

Reaction score
A couple things if the rim was clean around the bead area it won't have cut the rubber at the bead area. Next you are going to need to screw the tires to the rims. You may want to have them rebalanced

07 Boss

Reaction score
A couple things if the rim was clean around the bead area it won't have cut the rubber at the bead area. Next you are going to need to screw the tires to the rims. You may want to have them rebalanced

Cut the rubber?

I've never balanced these tires? They are bias ply QTP's. I didn't think they're supposed to be balanced. At least I have never balanced slicks before.

I guess I should have gone into a little more detail. 15x11.5x28 Hoosier QTP's on 15" RaceStars. I run anywhere between 12 to 14.5 psi depending on track conditions. My 60" times are usually low 1.7's. I've never lost any pressure that I know of during these runs. This is my second set and I never marked the other tires. Made a couple dozen runs on the first set and just marked these on a whim. Could have been spinning them and never knew it.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Cut the rubber?

I've never balanced these tires? They are bias ply QTP's. I didn't think they're supposed to be balanced. At least I have never balanced slicks before.

I guess I should have gone into a little more detail. 15x11.5x28 Hoosier QTP's on 15" RaceStars. I run anywhere between 12 to 14.5 psi depending on track conditions. My 60" times are usually low 1.7's. I've never lost any pressure that I know of during these runs. This is my second set and I never marked the other tires. Made a couple dozen runs on the first set and just marked these on a whim. Could have been spinning them and never knew it.
I've had these very tires and rims with about the same movement as you've seen, and I chose not to worry about it at all. But "yes" they need balancing just like anything else that rotates fast and has quite a bit of mass/weight. I had wheel weights on both of mine to achieve a neutral balance.

07 Boss

Reaction score

What about cleaning it off the next time I swap tires?

I just screwed mine in and problem solved.

Yeah, that was my first thought but I just didn't think it would be necessary at my power level. it's not like I'm cutting a mean 60'

I've had these very tires and rims with about the same movement as you've seen, and I chose not to worry about it at all. But "yes" they need balancing just like anything else that rotates fast and has quite a bit of mass/weight. I had wheel weights on both of mine to achieve a neutral balance.

So If you balance them and the tire migrates, won't it be out of balance?

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've used a black bead sealer and never had one move, obviously screwing the tire to the rim is best. If you ask MT they will probably tell you to static balance the wheel. Old timers would use a bubble balancer and find the heaviest part of the tire, mark it then find the heaviest part of the rim, mark it, offset the marks then static balance it, you'll use minimal weight.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've used a black bead sealer and never had one move, obviously screwing the tire to the rim is best. If you ask MT they will probably tell you to static balance the wheel. Old timers would use a bubble balancer and find the heaviest part of the tire, mark it then find the heaviest part of the rim, mark it, offset the marks then static balance it, you'll use minimal weight.

This.
At the advice of a local tire shop long ago, I had a set of bias ply ET streets spin balanced and had a very scary wobble at the top end of the track. Phoned M/T's tech line at the time and they told me to never spin balance bias ply slicks as the nylon cords will not behave the same on a balancer as they will on a vehicle with the weight loaded on it or something like that. Got the same tires static balanced and the wobble disappeared.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Yeah, if they were in balance and then they moved on the rim, it certainly would then be out of balance, never considered that. The Hoosier slicks I had on my Lightning slipped maybe 2" on both sides and never developed a shake as far as I could feel in the truck, and my QTP's moved about 4" on my clutch equipped 2012 Coyote Stang, and also never felt any shake in that one either.

It also seems that on both of the vehicle I mentioned above, they only moved on one of the first few track outings and never moved again with alot of passes/launches on them afterwards

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
This.
At the advice of a local tire shop long ago, I had a set of bias ply ET streets spin balanced and had a very scary wobble at the top end of the track. Phoned M/T's tech line at the time and they told me to never spin balance bias ply slicks as the nylon cords will not behave the same on a balancer as they will on a vehicle with the weight loaded on it or something like that. Got the same tires static balanced and the wobble disappeared.

Yeah I cant ever remember balancing a bias ply on anything but a bubble balancer. But most of the time I've just put them on and ran with them. But i'm not having a vibration or balancing issue. I will break the bead and try some bead sealer as I'm not wanting to drill the wheel yet. They are cheap RaceStars and I wouldn't want to weaken them any more than they already are.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I cant ever remember balancing a bias ply on anything but a bubble balancer. But most of the time I've just put them on and ran with them. But i'm not having a vibration or balancing issue. I will break the bead and try some bead sealer as I'm not wanting to drill the wheel yet. They are cheap RaceStars and I wouldn't want to weaken them any more than they already are.
I've just popped them on the wheels with a flat iron and a bit of muscle, then spread the permatex stuff on the bead, got out the air compressor and a baseball bat and they have always been better than the set that I had spin balanced. I've done this a couple of times and had them ready minutes before the track opened that day. The bubble balance is good insurance but most of the time you can get away without it.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
What about cleaning it off the next time I swap tires?

Yeah, that was my first thought but I just didn't think it would be necessary at my power level. it's not like I'm cutting a mean 60'

So If you balance them and the tire migrates, won't it be out of balance?

It's not your 60, its the initial bite that is spinning it, combined with the weight of our cars. Imagine the force difference of a car cutting the same 60' and weighs 1000 pounds less.

Mine moved about the same in the high 1.4 range.

If you do not have tubes, which I think those are radial tires, then I don't know what the concern would be.

Screws are cheap, like $15-$20 from summit.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Don't some guys run bias plys without tubes?
I've ran Hoosier Quick time Pro bias plys, and Hoosier bias ply slicks without tubes, and both recomended tubes. At the end of the day, I'm glad I didn't spend more money on tubes, lol!

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't some guys run bias plys without tubes?
The only guys I know that run tubes are class racers who can't afford to miss a call to the staging lanes due to a flat. I've never had problems with losing air on a slick and no tubes.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
et street bias ply (old style that was discontinued) mounted with the permatex that skwerl linked. balanced, no tubes and the tires don't move at all.

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
I've had the tire move around an inch per pass before, didn't worry too much about it except for it was slowing me down.

Spray the bead after its CLEAN with hi tack gasket sealer. Won't go nowhere unless your reeeally getting after it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back