Idle air to fuel question

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I know that the ghost cam tunes seem to be limited to the 11+ stangs due to the VCT but, I know someone that found another method to achieve the same sound and lope effect in his 5.0 while making it "safer" (according to him and his tuner) for the motor.

To start off, his tune was custom made to lean out the air-fuel at idle to cause the exhaust to have a lope to it. It sounded just like every other ghost tune to me but actually sounded a little less consistent with the lope, almost like at times it would lope more or almost completely shut off the motor all together due to a lack of fuel.

Well this brings me to my actual questions. With this method of leaning the idle A-F, does it sound like it would be possible to have a "ghost cam tune" on a 3V? What are the risks to leaning it out at idle, I know the risk at higher RPMs but is there really a risk for running lean at idle only? Also I'm just curious, why does the ghost cam tune require an o/r x-pipe for the mid versus o/r h or o/r pro chamber?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
as I understand it the "cammed" sound is achieved by the TiVCT being manipulated to have more overlap and yield the sound.

leaning out the tune could result in detonation.

get a real set of cams IMHO

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I know that's how they do it with the TiVCT. I just thought about how the guy I met mentioned that his was leaned out to cause the lope instead of manipulating the VCT. Just curious if there was any real risk to leaning it out at that low of an RPM, I knew detonation was an issue with higher RPMs.

I would love to get them but unfortunately I can't foot the bill for the cams and install, don't feel comfortable doing the install myself either. Murphy's law tends to apply to me when it comes to installs.

Was the guy just blowing smoke when he said that leaning it out caused the lope?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I know that's how they do it with the TiVCT. I just thought about how the guy I met mentioned that his was leaned out to cause the lope instead of manipulating the VCT. Just curious if there was any real risk to leaning it out at that low of an RPM, I knew detonation was an issue with higher RPMs.

I would love to get them but unfortunately I can't foot the bill for the cams and install, don't feel comfortable doing the install myself either. Murphy's law tends to apply to me when it comes to installs.

the guy (was) just blowing smoke when he said that leaning it out caused the lope?

As jock sed, the lope is caused by more exhaust overlap, I can see running lean causing a rough idle, but that's not exactly a lopey idle.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Once upon a time about 30 years ago I had a 68 F100 with a 302. People sometimes asked if it had a cam in it (of course it did but they meant aftermarket). It was a stock cam but the carburetor needed a rebuild.

So, back in the carbureted days a bad carb would give the idle a little lope. I'm trying to think of how the idle a/f would be manipulated without a blending screw. The fuel table is used for open loop, closed loop tries to maintain stoich with o2 sensors.

It's a bad idea all the way around imo. Save up for a set of cams.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
As jock sed, the lope is caused by more exhaust overlap, I can see running lean causing a rough idle, but that's not exactly a lopey idle.

Once upon a time about 30 years ago I had a 68 F100 with a 302. People sometimes asked if it had a cam in it (of course it did but they meant aftermarket). It was a stock cam but the carburetor needed a rebuild.

So, back in the carbureted days a bad carb would give the idle a little lope. I'm trying to think of how the idle a/f would be manipulated without a blending screw. The fuel table is used for open loop, closed loop tries to maintain stoich with o2 sensors.

It's a bad idea all the way around imo. Save up for a set of cams.

Alright guys, thanks. I wasn't real sure so I thought I would ask y'all. I couldn't really find anything on the topic either so I figured I would throw the idea out there.

It sounds as if I will either save or go without, the latter seems more likely. Lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back