Is my new short block ruined?

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had a fire in my garage and a lot of stuff is damaged. My JDM 302E short block was on an engine stand in the heavy bag that in was wrapped in inside the shipping crate.

As you can see a couple of holes were melted in the bag and the bag caught some overspray. As I feared, the bores are rusted:
qtQo5pml.jpg

This was taken the night before the fire:
C74U5Enl.jpg

How bad is the damage? I'm guessing it would have to be torn down and cleaned up. Will it have to be bored? Just trying to get an idea of how hard to push the insurance company.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking probably just a tear down and re hone.

Yep me too. It didn't get hot enough to melt the plastic bag/wrap around it to much so it never saw +400 degrees which would not be hot enough to hurt anything on that engine. The rust will need taken care of and reassembled

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Did you try just cleaning the bores up with good lint free towels and some blaster? The surface rust may wipe off if it hasn't been to long.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 It didn't get hot enough to do any damage and that is just some surface rust that should clean right up. I don't think you would have to break it down but the engine experts will chime in with the correct info.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I would try a little WD40 and some steel wool (or something similar). Otherwise, it would need to be torn down and very lightly honed. Either way, not a major deal. Relatively easy fix.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Wipe down the bores with a clean cloth sprayed with PB blaster and see what happens, that rust might just vanish.

I would not spray the PB blaster directly in to the bores.

-Steve

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
And once you're done cleaning up the bores, wipe/spray it down with some oil to protect it from further rust.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Like others said, a quick wipe down with wd-40/pb blaster/etc should clear that up. Then coat it in a light coat of motor oil.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
If it were mine, I would get a lint free cloth with WD40, wipe down the cyl walls. If they installed a rear main seal, I would check it, replace if needed.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, let me change my opinion.

Yes it is junk. All of it is trashed and nothing can be repaired. I'll give you $100 for for scrap metal.

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I actually had coated the bores with motor oil before the fire. Call me silly but there is no way I will use steel wool on the bore. I may try the PB blaster or WD40 wipe. I will see what the contents adjuster has to say. Just yet another hassle with this stupid fire....

The Mustang after the fire:

HL5WqOIl.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've purchased motors from the junk yard, poured water out of the cylinders, put them in and run them for LOTS of miles. Granted those weren't "race motors".

That said motors are not delicate things. There are HUGE explosions going on in there. they are pretty tough.

Clean that surface ruts up, put it together and run it. It will be fine.

If you wanted to go crazy you can turn the motor upside down and hone the top half (bottom half while upside down) of the cylinders with it still assembled.

I'm all about being OCD. But sometimes you gotta race!:thumb2:

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
OP, you may not be aware of this...but steel wool comes in grades just like sandpaper. You can get steel wool that's so fine you can wipe your ass with it, it's that soft.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
you should only wipe your ass with it if you spray a bit of brake cleaner on it first., don't be shy rub with vigor.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
If steel wool worries you, go by a auto paint supply and get gray Scotchbrite pads. They are a very fine grit and will take off the rust without affecting the cylinder wall finish that the rings need to seat.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I would just hit it with some 0000 steel wool and some oil and call it good. I highly doubt and serious engine life or performance would be degraded because of it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back