LIGHT WHEELS?

JJ427R

Reaction score
As for Kenny Brown supposedly saying he "believes 285/35/18 on all 4 corners is the best track setup for the S197 mustangs, especially for HPDE driving" that is just absurd. HPDE driving is just that - just driving. You can believe this snake oil salesman - who will sell you every doo-dad and magic brace you never needed - or you can look at results.
If you believe HPDE driving is just driving, then why do you keep chiming in on all the HPDE threads and cutting people down and trying to push all your race car stuff onto the HPDE people? Whos the real snake oil salesman here?
And by the way you build those same bolt on do dads Kenny Brown sells (caster camber plates), and his are much better so you should probably be a bit more careful shooting your mouth off about your competing vendors and calling them snake oil salesmen! One thing he does not do is come on forums and bad mouth people and other vendors.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I will start a new thread on this subject, backed up by facts and photos. As my personal experience contradicts a lot of info here. And Im curious as to how the pro racers explain what I have found out first hand.
Look for it, as Im looking for feedback.
Putting thread in corner carvers.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I took Vorshlag's advice and picked up a decent set of used ultra-wide tires.. 18x48's I believe... Gonna have to flair my fenders I think.
88b164de9d23ac4e0741e18352c59890.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I get what Norm is trying to push - stretching a tire on a wider wheel can ekk out a little more grip, flatten the contact patch a bit better. Coming from an autocross background, that's an old trick we often used.
Thanks, Terry.

If LAP TIMES matter to you, then wider wheels and tires are PROVEN to be better, even in HPDE. The 19x11" wheel and 305mm tire package (above left) was notably faster on our customers S197, who had 18x10" wheels and 285mm tires before (above right). He logged every lap time and had data to prove this, not just "feelings".

Truth is, if I was only today putting together a streetable and trackable wheel & tire package for myself, I'd almost certainly be going with 305/30's on 19x11's. Kind of like what the S550/PP2 wears, with just a skosh more front wheel. Maybe some day I'll get there, maybe I won't, depends on too many other factors to say for sure.

I don't believe that was even an option a few years ago, so it made more sense to try to get as much out of the tires that actually were readily available, streetable, and not too short-lived (R-comps need not have applied for the position).

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I took Vorshlag's advice and picked up a decent set of used ultra-wide tires.. 18x48's I believe... Gonna have to flair my fenders I think.
88b164de9d23ac4e0741e18352c59890.jpg

Just add some negative camber till they clear! And dont forget the LS swap to complete the transformation.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to fill them with helium so Vorshlag can't talk crap about how heavy they are... Gonna fly by him on the track like the Jetson's.

Correction... I Googled what gas is lighter than helium so Vorshlag didn't correct me... I'm now going to fill the tires with Hydrogen... Just gotta be mindful of any heat.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to fill them with helium so Vorshlag can't talk crap about how heavy they are... Gonna fly by him on the track like the Jetson's.

Correction... I Googled what gas is lighter than helium so Vorshlag didn't correct me... I'm now going to fill the tires with Hydrogen... Just gotta be mindful of any heat.

Wont matter what gas you fill them with. A lighter than air gas may reduce static weight, but has zero effect on the mass of the wheel/tire.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Wont matter what gas you fill them with. A lighter than air gas may reduce static weight, but has zero effect on the mass of the wheel/tire.

I love it! [emoji445] "... She blinded me... With science!..." [emoji445]... Juice busts out some Delta K theory based on mass and velocity, or lack thereof.
3b6dbaa2e26012bb6a60dc469becd28b.jpg
43c28089ff8572b159edcb2299499b7a.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back