My long awaited build... (I don't think 56k exist anymore) So lots of pics...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Before everyone starts jumping on the "Kooks Cats Suck" bandwagon perhaps everyone needs to question why these cats were clogged or failed.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Before everyone starts jumping on the "Kooks Cats Suck" bandwagon perhaps everyone needs to question why these cats were clogged or failed.

I really wish I knew that!!! It's like one question answered, then another one arises! :rant:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I really wish I knew that!!! It's like one question answered, then another one arises! :rant:

Bruce since you didn't install these cats when they were new are you absolutely sure, or did you check to make sure, the cats hadn't already failed when you installed them prior to your initial start-up?

Next question - does your vehicle or the previous owner of the cats vehicle have an MSD 2 step. Keep in mind an MSD 2 step cuts the spark but not the fuel. So even though the spark has been disabled when the 2 step is activated, the cylinders are still being fueled. This result is a very rich A/F. I have seen 2 sets of cats fail which were both on vehicles with an MSD 2 step.

Additional info: I have an MSD 2 step on my 05 but I'm also running a Kooks off-road x-pipe for this very reason.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Agreed.....

If that exhaust setup was "too loud" it is very unlikely he was running an MSD 2 Step

Do you have an A/F gauge?

Have you pulled the plugs to look at them? Sorry if you aready posted the answer to that question. I didn't go back through the entire thread and read all your posts.

Boozshey

Reaction score
A/F was good... At times it would lean out but nothing the tuner said was bad. Data logs all showed good, this happened with the tuner in the car data logging.

Have not pulled plugs. They were brand new and only had the miles on them from that day, so like 5 miles barely.

I will be pulling the motor out tomorrow to investigate deeper, but I can tell you that I have oil dripping out both headers, and the passenger side has a lot more in it than the drivers side.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn, I haven't read this thread in a while. I think it's about time to get rid of my cats after seeing this, even though this is the first Kooks cats that I have seen. Glad you are making the best of it and good luck with your build.

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
Still nothing good to report. No more backfiring. But still whenever I go past 1/4 throttle the car bogs down and doesn't move anywhere.

So I got gas, came home and swapped out all 8 coil packs. Went for another drive and same thing. Datalogged this trip to see what was going on. I did manage to hit 13lbs of boost so why I am not going anywhere I have no idea...

Plugged cat? MAF plugged in/sensor still good? Good luck man...

I just blew my motor.

So many mods at once it will be difficult to figure out what went wrong. Didn't I read somewhere where you had flames shooting out the tail pipe upon initial start up? Sounds like ArizonaGT guessed or knew several pages back.

I know it is difficult to blame Kooks, but come on its only a cat. A simple non-moving object and should not have failed the way it did. Unless someone can point to a specific cause of causing a cat to fail, I have to conclude the product failure of the cat, either is design, materials or craftsmanship. Good luck man!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
So many mods at once it will be difficult to figure out what went wrong. Didn't I read somewhere where you had flames shooting out the tail pipe upon initial start up? Sounds like ArizonaGT guessed or knew several pages back.

I know it is difficult to blame Kooks, but come on its only a cat. A simple non-moving object and should not have failed the way it did. Unless someone can point to a specific cause of causing a cat to fail, I have to conclude the product failure of the cat, either is design, materials or craftsmanship. Good luck man!

Did you actually put much thought into that post? In one sentence you allude to "flames shooting out the tail pipe upon initial start up" and in the very next paragraph you state " A simple non-moving object and should not have failed the way it did. Unless someone can point to a specific cause of causing a cat to fail, I have to conclude the product failure of the cat, either is design, materials or craftsmanship."

Did the cat cause "flames to shoot out of the tail pipe upon initial start up". It is very unlikely the cat is the root cause of this failure but rather contingent damage. Perhaps you need some failure analysis training.

While the failed cat most likely contributed to or ultimately caused the engine to fail, what caused the cat to fail?

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
Flames never shot out of any place!!!

Did someone say something about clogged cats? Fuck I over read that!!! DAMN IT!!!!

Boozshey

Reaction score

Running too rich is where I would put the possible failure. The car always stunk of fuel... GRRRR....

However it did have this problem all the time. So it may just have been damaged from shipping or something like that also.

Stinkyone

forum member
Reaction score
I lost my engine just a few weeks ago on I-75, was a total shock, was seeing 11.5 lbs boost no issues, But cats? I don't need no stinking cats! Man after all you have been thru, hang in there. I'm sure your tuner has given some thought to things and maybe together you can can up with a new approach when you drop in the new block. In my case I lost two rods, car was running great, turns out was a batch of bad gas. So there ya go, ya just never know. I'll be back on the street this week. went with the BREN2 cams, we'll see. Again, hang in there!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back