NA builds using FRPP 4.6L to 5.0L stroker short block

a-train

Reaction score
I'm just looking for info on folks who have done NA builds utilizing the FRPP 4.6L to 5.0L stroker short block that Ford released about 8 months ago.

http://fordracingparts.com/download/pdfs/M_6009_A46X_Dyno.pdf

I searched a bit but didn't come up with what I was specifically looking for...since NA builds aren't all that popular. I also realize that NA builds are not as cost effective as simply throwing on a blower. But I dig NA set up and would love to have a kickin' NA motor in my MY06 S197.

If you're NA and using the new FRPP stroker short block...please chime in with your set up...tuner...numbers and/or track time.

Thanks!

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Why not look into the big bore block instead? A big bore block will get you the same size engine but with a stock crank. That engine above is basically a stock block with a stroker crank (upgraded internals over stock). If given the option I will always choose the larger bore instead of stroke.

What are your goals?

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
OP, the 5.0 3V Aluminator is not a popular block for N/A because of the compression is mainly for a S/C application. If you want to build a high N/A engine you need to start from scratch.

Look up BruceH's build as he did a pretty badass N/A using the FRPP Boss Iron Block. I was looking at copying his build closely, but changed up my plans. You are right they are not that popular and all engine power is great. If you have the $$ you can do whatever you want, but the price-to-power ratio for a N/A engine is fairly low.

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Here are the basics of what I want to build...

14:1 Compression

326CI 5.3L Big Bore Stroker

Stage 3 heads with the valve area unshrouded

Comp 127600 Cams

FRPP Intake manifold

yada yada yada

holcombford

forum member
Reaction score
I would do a boss block. 3.750 Stroke x 5.850 rod and 3.700 bore. Should be a pretty nasty build

a-train

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far. I've seen BruceH post in other threads and he seems to really know his stuff. I'll look for his build thread or any of his threads for that matter. I'm sure they can teach me some stuff.

As far as goals - here is what I would like...I'd like a car that can as closely match the performance stats of the C6 Corvette upon its release...400 HP/400 TQ...0-60 in 4.3...1/4 mile in 12.7 @ 113. With being 350 lbs heavier...I realize the 0-60 time may be a pipe dream...but I'd like to match or beat the 1/4 mile time. I am not shooting for the moon here guys...its just that 300 HP stock for the 4.6 3v is a little weak by today's standards.

outside of CAI and tune...I do have 4.10s in the rear...so that should help me giddy-up to that 12.7 1/4 mile.

Apologize for not throwing the goals in the original post...I can see where it is beneficial.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far. I've seen BruceH post in other threads and he seems to really know his stuff. I'll look for his build thread or any of his threads for that matter. I'm sure they can teach me some stuff.

As far as goals - here is what I would like...I'd like a car that can as closely match the performance stats of the C6 Corvette upon its release...400 HP/400 TQ...0-60 in 4.3...1/4 mile in 12.7 @ 113. With being 350 lbs heavier...I realize the 0-60 time may be a pipe dream...but I'd like to match or beat the 1/4 mile time. I am not shooting for the moon here guys...its just that 300 HP stock for the 4.6 3v is a little weak by today's standards.

outside of CAI and tune...I do have 4.10s in the rear...so that should help me giddy-up to that 12.7 1/4 mile.

Apologize for not throwing the goals in the original post...I can see where it is beneficial.

Here's my build thread for the Big Bore Boss. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105837

Keep in mind that I do things in my builds that aren't recommended by the mainstream engine builders. Basically what I do is try to keep the build as close to Ford specs as possible while upgrading components that are known to fail in stock motors. So far so good.

I've said this many times. It's not hard assembling a motor. IMO the hard part is done by the machine shop, the rest is just assembly. You might be surprised at how easy it is to put a shortblock together provided all of the machining is done correctly.

Back