Navigation Antenna

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Alright here's the deal. I've had my Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in my car for quite a while. I still haven't hooked up the VSS wire and I've got a bug up my ass to do it. I want to re-route the antenna since it's mounted in the headliner. Now my question is does the antenna need to be mounted on metal? Where is the best place? It gets 3 out of 5 bars where it's at but I'm sure it could be better. Can the antenna be mounted upside down? Sideways? Does it matter?

Now, here's another "good" question. I've got the Siruis antenna on my trunk lid. I don't need it. I'm not ever going to use it. Now, would both of these antennas serve the same function? Would it be possible to cut the end off of the Pioneer Navigation Antenna and splice it into the Siruis antenna?

Thanks in advance !! :thumb:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mounting orientation should not matter at all. And no it does not need to be mounted on metal. I have both my satellite radio antenna and my GPS antenna stuck to the rear package shelf with a piece of velcro.

As for cutting and splicing, I don't think that is going to work for you. Different antenna frequencies I believe.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I don't know if my antenna is just weak or what .. I've never had a problem like this out of a BUNCH of navigation systems I've installed.

I couldn't get a half way decent signal on the deck lid, under the dash, inside the center console, etc. All using the little "pad" that the mfg include. I ended up mounting it under the cowl on the body and I get full signal so I'm happy with it. :)

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have an AVIC-D3. My GPS antenna is on the back speaker deck, about an inch away from the C-post. Perfect reception, and it's almost invisible there.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was all set to do the rear deck thing with my D3 until it dawned on me that my rear window louvers would mess that up. I blended mine in the middle of my Saleen gauge pod on the dash - which of course, does you no good.

Without rear louvers, the rear deck idea is the bomb!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i installed the sirius antenna in the 05 where they put the car seat anchor points in the rear deck. in the 02 i installed both the GPS and sirius antennas in the same car seat anchors and they are stealth looking since i routedthe wires under the rear deck

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
It's not the bomb when you've got tint with "metallic" in it. I get ZERO signal from any place inside the car. I ended up mounting it under the wiper cowl on the little lip of the body. It's perfect. Completely hidden and it gets 100% signal !! :D

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Both my GPS and XM antennas are sitting on the dash, behind the pillar pod... they work just fine...

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Both my GPS and XM antennas are sitting on the dash, behind the pillar pod... they work just fine...

I understand that. I've had four other cars that had the antenna mounted on the inside, too. Regardless of antenna, I tried a few, I got zero signal inside my car. Don't ask me.

:angry1:

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
I have the Pioneer AVIC-D3.. mounted the GPS antenna under the carpet, in the center of back decklid, down in one of the valleys stamped into the metal from the factory.

Used it going from South Jersey to just north of Columbus, OH and to Summerville, SC. We never lost signal (usually have full bars) and I do not have the VSS hooked up yet either.

*just caught the part about the metal in the tint.. my bad*

Last edited:

Redfireshaker06

forum member
Reaction score
I have my D3 antenna mounted behind the dash. If you look at the passenger side of the dash. Theres a panel (where the door closes). Pop the panel off and theres metal there. Just stuck the antenna to that. No problems. Now the XM is a different story. Thats mounted on the back because inside, theres no signal because of the 5% tint.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The spot that I had it mounted was under the cowling where there is a little "ledge" that comes off the body. Well, it wasn't wide enough but I thought it'd suffice. Well, I was wrong. Last night it fell off but I had zip tied it in case that happened it wouldn't be long gone. This morning I built a little bracket to mount on that "ledge" and than mount the antenna on that. I ended up putting a small dab off metal epoxy on each corner of it and zip tieing it to the bracket as well. It better not EVER come off again !! I'm also getting a little bit more consistant signal strength. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that the body is painted and the bracket I used was just unfinished steel.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the Avic-D2 mines sitting on the dash next to the drivers side a-pillar with gauges :) works fine.
P1010002-1.jpg

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I'm glad it works for you. It didn't for me.

A little update. I had tested the spot for the antenna and the bracket before mounting it. I tested it after it was mounted. Everything was good to go. I than zip tied it, put everything back together, let the epoxy dry, etc. I go out to drive to the store tonight and it doesn't work. I was getting about 2 out of 8 satellite dishes which is not nearly enough to work properly. So, I started thinking about it and figured lets take that zip tie off just for the hell of it. I pulled the zip tie off at the gas station and now it works perfectly !!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back