need help!! might need to replace my cam phasers...

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
Well I've had some VCT timing issues lately and we have pretty much narrowed it down to a mechanical issue and I might have to replace my cam phasers...not the limiters but the original cam phasers....my question is where can I buy these?! From the quick searching I have done today it looks like I would have to buy the whole cam gear assembly which will run me $200+ per side...thats a bit much for me...I am just wondering if anyone knew if there was a place to just buy the phasers to save some money...any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
-Lance

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Yes sir. I even called them to verify that those were in fact the right phasers since the price was so low compared to others out there. Received the phasers within a week, and they were indeed the right ones, actually they were the latest revised ones!

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
Yes sir. I even called them to verify that those were in fact the right phasers since the price was so low compared to others out there. Received the phasers within a week, and they were indeed the right ones, actually they were the latest revised ones!
sweet man!! hopefully replacing them is not the route I have to take but if so this will be where I buy them from

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
:beerchug2: Hope you get er up and running soon!
Thanks man!!! It runs perfectly fine now...the issue we are having is that in my dyno I had an extreme spike down at the 3800 mark which is costing me a good chunk of power (between 15-20rwhp and 20-30 rwtq) and after that we started doing a bunch of datalogs and tweaking things here and there and finally noticed that at the 3800 mark in the VCT watching the Actual Cam Angle it goes from 0 degrees up to 17 degrees right at the 4000 mark and holds 17 up to redline whereas it should gradually go from 0-17 reaching 17 at redline...its really weird...I will be doing a datalog either tonight or tomorrow watching Actual Cam Angle and Commanded Cam Angle...with this datalog we should be able to see if its mechanical or tune related...hopefully not mechanical but if it is I wanted to find out what I will be needing and how much it would cost...again thanks a lot though

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lock outs would be cheaper and will eliminate any weird fluctuations in cam angle. ;)

Lockouts will also cost him 10-20 hp which really hursts if he's N/A, limiters would be the better, but his issue seems to be the a sudden change in timing instead of gradual

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I'm kind of bias on the lockouts, but they have worked out really well for me. Limiters of course will give you more power if tuned correctly, but imo I like keeping things up top simple, reliable, and consistent.

Hoping to hit some high 11's soon with those lockouts! :naughty1:

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
Lockouts will also cost him 10-20 hp which really hursts if he's N/A, limiters would be the better, but his issue seems to be the a sudden change in timing instead of gradual
exactly!! thats the reason I dont want to go the lockout route and the reason I didnt originally...I wanna squeeze every last hp out of it as I can

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, limiters will stop the ticking. However you problem is the cam moving all at once right?

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
As I understand it, limiters will stop the ticking. However you problem is the cam moving all at once right?
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is just yet...once I am able to datalog the Commanded Cam Angle I should know...if the Commanded Cam Angle matches what the Actual Cam Angle is doing then from what I understand its the tune...if they dont match then its mechanical (phaser issue) so I guess we shall see...hopefully its the tune because I dont have the money to fix it right now

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back