neverending belt squeak

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
so I posted on this a year or more ago. been chasing the squeak and throwing parts at it all this time.

All the chasing has lead me to:

clearly my belt is too short. The tensioner is nearly at the limit of its travel when i install the belt. That aint good. Maybe thats causing the bent tensioners. I bet it is. Either way, im gonna get a new belt thats longer. What I wanna know is what belt to get? I have the gates micro V 122.17. The tensioner is really all but pegged as it is. Is their next size up going to be too long or just right? Its 126.5 (K081265).

To put it into words, i fully extend the tensioner to get the belt on and have to FORCE it on the water pump pulley. there is no slack.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
sorry, I took for granted that all that was still in my sig. Whipple.

and I looked up the belt catalog.

What I have k081223 which is 122.17
I see K 081251 which is 125.09
and K081253 which is 125.35

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you try that and it is too long you can add a 100mm pulley to top left idler and it will take up some slack....I have seen a 123" belt somewhere and going to look for it maybe that will help. I have a KB and use the K081253 belt with top left 100mm idler and just adjusted the KB idler down to take some slack up.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
It worked (for now)
Apparently I had such a short belt it was cranking the tensioner too tight and it caused it to bend and squeak. A testament to the durability of the Thumprrr, cuz it works fine now. No permanent damage.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back