Painting headers

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Started painting my Jba tuned length shorty headers for use with the turbo.

I used this link as reference and tips on how to do it. Some good info and pics here.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/ex...-coating-headers-high-temp-ceramic-paint.html

The paint i used was VHT ceramic, flat aluminum color. Here are some pics of the process so far:

I used a wire brush and brillo pad to clean/scuff them up and soapy water to clean them off before paint.
p_00027-1.jpg

I actually did 3 thin coats and one thick coat as the jba shorties have some tough to reach areas.
p_00029-3.jpg

p_00028-3.jpg

Into the grill for curing 30 mins at 250, let it cool, 30 min at 450 is what im doing.
p_00030-2.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Makes me hungry! What else is going on the grill after that!

If I see an explosion I will know where it was from and what caused it...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good. How long you expect it to last?

I think you have to check it every 15 mins and rotate it, then stick a meat thermometer in it to enusre it is cooked thouroghly....allow to sufficeintly cool and serve with your preferrence of beverages!

Jeremy saw this one on the food network!:highfive:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Reading through the referenced thread looks like they are still good 2 years later. the important part is curing the paint first otherwise the exhaust heat can shock the paint and cause premature flaking and peeling.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why exactly are these headers all twisted and stuff? Ive never understood that.

For exhaust pulse scavenging, it makes power. Its a good read and you can google it if you want more technical info, but basicly based on the firing order of the engine the lengths of exhuast runners are changed so all 4 exhuast pulses merge at the collector at the same time. it increases exhuast flow velocity and creates the scavenging effect which is when the pulse merge creates a vacuum on the exhaust valves and "pulls" on the next exhaust pulse when the exhaust valves open. Basicly flows better, sounds better and makes more power.

This is a big factor in why longtubes make so much more power and not all shorty headers do this. mid legnth and shorty tuned length headers like the jba or bbk do it off the top of my head.

A good example of this is those new tuned length headers for the 5.0. They have 2 pulses merging together individualy and then those 2 seperate merges merge again at the collector.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its not, im going to be loosing power n/a. I cant keep my longtubes with the turbo.
So instead of putting stock manifolds back on i went with tuned length shorties that flow better and the ceramic paint to help keep the heat in for better turbo spool.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Somehow seeing headers on a grill is just funny! Lol. Great pics
Patrick

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back