Pollen-just in case you don't know

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
We all get pollen on our cars this time of year. It sucks. But did you know that pollen actually attaches itself into the pores of your paint. Pollen is so small and has little spiked protrusions that actually will hook into your paint on a microscopic level. Imagine a thistle and how they can stick to your clothes.

The problem. . . Just spraying a car off will get rid of the pollen coat you can see, but it will not get the pollen that is attached into the pores of the paint/clearcoat.

The kicker. . . when pollen gets wet it turns acidic. This is big trouble, because now you have acid in the pours of your paint.

The only way to get rid of all the pollen is to hand was the car with a soapy sponge, etc.

The bottom line. . . If you are spraying the pollen off your car and not hand washing it you are actually setting yourself up for more paint damage then if you just left it on dry.

I'm not going to say that you should just dry wipe it off either since that will scratch your car and still not get all the pollen off. So, basically, to really fix the problem you need to hand wash the stuff off.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with a way of making car paint anti-static cling so the pollen can't settle. I hate pollen, my car is green 12 hours after washing... I'm ashamed to drive it covered but getting really sick of washing it so often.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ya, its rediculous..OCD folks should not own a black cara..lol...My car sits in my garage dry all the time, so I am not too worried..I wont need to wash it till after the track rental on June 11th..I just cant bring myself to keep a cover on my car in the warm months, cant do it...Although it would prevent most of the dust/pollen build-up..

Reaction score
Yep.. I get a layer of dust and yellow looking pollen on my car almost everyday. I do not have any garage space to put my car in so, I have to put a car cover on it everyday which I don't always feel like doing.
I tried washing it off with a car wash sprayer but when it dries you still see it.
So, yes you have to hand wash it to get it off. I wash my car about every 2 days because the pollen is SO bad right now. It sucks....

Good info though! :)

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
A nice coat of wax will solve this problem. I use NXT II after every other wash. Nothing is sticking to my paint.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Daniel Speaks the truth,

Here is Pollen under a microscope.

pollen.jpg

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
A nice coat of wax will solve this problem. I use NXT II after every other wash. Nothing is sticking to my paint.

Nope, not really. The wax makes the car slicker and easier to clean, but it does not completely prevent the pollen from attaching into the pores.

Also, if you are putting on a coat of wax every other time you wash the car you probably have one hell of a wax buildup going on there. There is such a thing as too much wax.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
^ That's one ugly pollen! my car is yellow so pollen just kinda blends in :crazy:
Is it ok to use those california dusters to dust pollen off?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
^ That's one ugly pollen! my car is yellow so pollen just kinda blends in :crazy:
Is it ok to use those california dusters to dust pollen off?

I will only use a duster on my car when I'm at an outdoor car show and have no other choice, personally. They do scratch your paint no matter what they say. You might not notice it on a non black car, but it's happening.

But if you're asking if it will get rid of it, "yes" to the naked eye, "no" under a microscope, it's still going to be in the pores.

However, it's better to use a duster than it is to just spray the car off since the water activates the pollen and makes it turn acidic and starts doing damage to your paint.

I say "better" in the case of the pollen doing more damage after it's wet vs dry, but dusters still suck, lol

Bottom line, you need to hand wash that puppy.

Now, spraying off a car and then blow drying it to get rid of dust (no pollen) is WAY WAY WAY better than using a duster, always!!

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
Dammit would have been nice to know after our pollen season in houston. I need to clay bar my roach soon anyways.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back up to the top since it's that time of year again.

stevb15

Reaction score
Thats what's great about having a Legend Lime car. It's the same color as the pollen

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back