Reman 4-piston Brembos on 05-14 GT

xeninworx

Reaction score
A 215/55/18 tire barely fits in the crevice for the spare wheel. A 19” wheel, who knows if you could get that to fit.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to swap out your spare wheel for a full size. The stock spare won’t fit over the Brembo.

View attachment 86676

My Brembo car didn’t even come with a spare, just some tire sealant goop and an air pump. I tried fitting one of my 255/40 x 19 tire and wheel assemblies in that well but gets stuck before it reaches the bottom and sits about 3” proud, so the trunk floor won’t sit back down flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A 215/55/18 tire barely fits in the crevice for the spare wheel. A 19” wheel, who knows if you could get that to fit.

You can find spares from newer cars on ebay...some say they are 18", I'm actually not even sure if any of them are 19", but they are $300-400 so I guess I'll just take my chances with my 17" spare. I suppose if I got a flat on a the front I'd just have to put the spare on the back and put a rear wheel on the front.

xeninworx

Reaction score
Yeah my floor is a little high because the rim is 18x8. In Canadian dollars it cost me about $320. Rim is the Touren brand, I forget which model but it’s a cheaper model that most people use for winter wheels. The tire is some cheap Chinese brand. The shop found the cheapest tire for the size. No TPMS because why would I bother for a temporary solution if I get a flat. Reuse my scissor jack.

Honestly just find the cheapest rim that fits and get a cheap tire.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
You can find spares from newer cars on ebay...some say they are 18", I'm actually not even sure if any of them are 19", but they are $300-400 so I guess I'll just take my chances with my 17" spare. I suppose if I got a flat on a the front I'd just have to put the spare on the back and put a rear wheel on the front.

I’ve had that thought too, but I think putting two different diameter tires on the rear will damage the limited slip clutches in the differential.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve had that thought too, but I think putting two different diameter tires on the rear will damage the limited slip clutches in the differential.

Damage? No. Accelerate wear, yes. Much like going around corners.
If I'm stuck on the side of the highway, I will put my spare on and get the car off the road. ;) If I have a spare that is. lol

JC SSP

Reaction score
Unless the extra/spare tire is the exact same rim & tire on the car it should be considered as a temporary tire to get you back home and to the tire shop.

You will see the same “five rims & tires” on Jeeps and trucks but it’s not so common on cars. Actually, several cars don’t come with a spare tire at all.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Trust me I wouldn't be driving it far on a compact spare.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Don’t forget to swap out your spare wheel for a full size. The stock spare won’t fit over the Brembo.

View attachment 86676
Yeah I've been thinking bout this since I've converted mine...........think I'm gonna just pull the plug & get the OEM 07-09 GT500 "spare tire" kit for my GT (12v air compressor w\ the tire leak sealant & mounting bracket to store all in spare tire area so the trunk cover will still be supported as it is currently).......have checked & noted that this kit is still available thru Ford dealership.........cost is similar to me getting 1 wheel that will clear the 14" front "Brembos" & a spare 255\40\18 tire (26" dia) to replace the current OEM '09 GT spare tire\wheel that won't clear the 14" front "Brembos"................& will also raise the trunk cover too high above the trunk floor for my tastes.

Gonna hit the local Ford dealership & get it all ordered & OTW...........

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
I have thought about that possible issue, since I have a bullitt, I basically have the gt500 (or at least my car had it since I bought it 12 years ago) air compressor and slime for a spare; obviously it's bad by now (slime). I do have a plug kit in the event I get a nail or something of that nature on the road. I pray that I don't get a blow out.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Yeah I've been thinking bout this since I've converted mine...........think I'm gonna just pull the plug & get the OEM 07-09 GT500 "spare tire" kit for my GT (12v air compressor w\ the tire leak sealant & mounting bracket to store all in spare tire area so the trunk cover will still be supported as it is currently).......have checked & noted that this kit is still available thru Ford dealership.........cost is similar to me getting 1 wheel that will clear the 14" front "Brembos" & a spare 255\40\18 tire (26" dia) to replace the current OEM '09 GT spare tire\wheel that won't clear the 14" front "Brembos"................& will also raise the trunk cover too high above the trunk floor for my tastes.

Gonna hit the local Ford dealership & get it all ordered & OTW...........
Update:
Since posting this, I've checked w\ my local Ford dealership & found out this kit has since been discontinued. Checked other avenues & got the same results......discontinued, so I had put this off to the side for a while (the 1 thing that is keeping me from roading my Stang on long trips).

Fast forward to today.......while I was watching an Alejandro Flores "Peasant Chat" YouTube video this morning & seeing the Parts Farm moniker (a sponsor of his YouTube channel), I got a whim & went on their site & started looking thru their used parts section...........and ran upon a 07-09 GT\GT500 18" spare tire assembly that was designed to clear the front 14" Brembo brakes (actual take out from a totaled '07 GT500) listed for sale (had all pictures of actual part in listing showing the Maxxis brand spare tire that Ford used w\ their same period MY spare tire assemblies......my '09 GT's OEM 17" spare assembly has a Maxxis brand tire on it) & was in stock!
Needless to say, I jumped all over this.........didn't know these were a thing (OEM listings showed the 12v air compressor w\ tire leak sealant & all trunk mounting hardware only) so I'm assuming this had to have been a special ordered part back in the day.

After acquiring this part, I kept looking thru their listing & also ran upon the complete 12v air compressor\tire leak sealant & full trunk mounting bracketry kit for sale as well (actual take out from a totaled '13 Roush SC'd GT) so if anyone is interested, check out: Muscle Car Parts: Mustang Parts, Engines & Accessories | Parts Farm (thepartsfarm.com)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back