Reman 4-piston Brembos on 05-14 GT

boostedtrauma

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago, I threw on some Napa GT500 brakes onto my 07 GT. They were a direct swap, and even easier to deal with than the factory GT calipers. They carry a lifetime warranty, were significantly less than big brake kits, and so far, have held up to 17k miles of street use, two autocross sessions, and an HPDE day without issue.

I just went in and ordered calipers, rotors, and pads to a 2007 GT500. They came bare and preassembled ready to roll. The fronts go right on the spindles and GT lines connect right up with no modification.

Overall, this was my cost breakdown.
Napa Calipers SE5679 & SE5680: $204
Napa Rotors 880497: $85
Akebono Pads: $88
Total for those of you bad at math: $377

I also spent $10 on a quart of Lucas brake fluid and $8 on some VHT red caliper paint and few bucks on Permatex brake grease. So I guess this is just shy of $400 all said and done.

Internet is being wonky and I'll have to dig up pictures from when I was installing them, so I'll update with pictures later.

boostedtrauma

Reaction score
Mods, why was this moved from the 4.6 section to general chit chat? It's application specific and obviously tech related.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well if you read the tech posting rules it would be clear.

parts choices are chat, installing parts/wrenching are tech, thanks for the instructions on your first day here.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing is tech you idiot! Welcome to s197.

Here's some photos of how I cleaned up and reworked my Fembos. They look sweet, painted high heat black, except for where some brake fluid leaked out of the bleeder threads. I put some yellow teflon tape on same, which you should do ahead of time, solved this issue.IMG_20170419_132922.jpg IMG_20170419_143345.jpg IMG_20170419_143756.jpg IMG_20170419_153542.jpg

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got a set of the "Fembos" as well and they are holding up fine as well.
They are made in the same factory as many other OEM 4 piston calipers are made these days so I have no issue with them.
I went with Bosch rotors and centric sport pads and I am happy with the results.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have those as well. Honestly they looked like pretty decent quality pieces. Been on my car for a couple years now with no issues at all. The Brembo brake hardware kit I ordered when I put them on fit them perfect.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, Did you all do anything with your rear brakes? Any of you track guys notice issues with brake bias afterwards?

@ghint81 Why did you by the brembo hardware kit? Is it required? OP said they fit gt spindles no prob. Just clarifying before I spend cash. Thx in advance.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't do anything with my rear brakes, still stock calipers and rotors. When I say hardware kit I mean the pins and clips that hold the pads in, my calipers didn't come with any.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, Did you all do anything with your rear brakes? Any of you track guys notice issues with brake bias afterwards?

@ghint81 Why did you by the brembo hardware kit? Is it required? OP said they fit gt spindles no prob. Just clarifying before I spend cash. Thx in advance.

No, brake bias is fine. Upgrading to the '13-14 GT500 larger rear rotors is sufficient if you need additional thermal mass and heat transfer. That's only needed for really hard-core track use.

dangstang

Reaction score
Just wondering if these will work on my 2006 vert gt with factory bullet style wheels. Braking has crazy fade after a few turns in the n. Ga mountains.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if these will work on my 2006 vert gt with factory bullet style wheels. Braking has crazy fade after a few turns in the n. Ga mountains.

Those are 17s, right? Probably won't fit. The 4-pot Brembos require 19s or certain 18s.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score

You'll need spacers

dangstang

Reaction score
Ok... I have factory bullet style 17x8‘s. 1 response says need spacers . If so how thick? Other responses contend that I need a larger diameter wheel. Would prefer to keep factory wheels. Is it possible with this brake setup? Appreciate the feedback. You guys are great!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
17s don't work

we were talking about 18s w/ spacer

Nathan G

Reaction score
I have an 07 GT Vert that I am trying to perform this upgrade. I have Rotor and Calipers installed, but stock wheel, with the 50 mm offset, has interference with the caliper. I have already bought used 19" wheels, and they do not fit. Cannot return, ARRGGHHH.

My question is, what wheel and offset will fit? I really do not want to put in spacers and new studs.

1/2" spacers clear, but new studs required, as lugs do not even thread.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Its not the offset, its how the inside of the spokes are machined.
You pretty much need a wheel that fits Brembo brakes.

Doing this upgrade now. Boss 302 S wheels clear. 18x9 AM FR500 wheels I think will also clear, using a 5mm spacer. All my other 17" sets became obsolete.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you NEED a 1/2" spacer?

Mine cleared with a 6 or 7mm spacer (can't remember which I used) and I put extended thread lug nuts on it, no issues at all.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back