Roadrace To Drag Race Project-Lend A Hand

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Street able 3v in the 8s seems doable, but setting the world record for the fastest 3v? What even is the record right now?

Are those guys using 3v motors that are towing to the event? I was under the impression the fastest 3v cars were trailered to the strip.

Fastest 3v I think is a 8.3xxx

I don't think anyone runs drag week with a 3v. I was just making the point if someone (a few someone's) can figure out how to get cars to run in the 6's at over 200mph while driving from track to track towing a trailer I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to run bottom 8's.

Power is not really a problem. The only real question is how much boost can I run without lifting a head? Keeping the bottom end together doesn't take any tricks with the Mod motors. They are crazy strong and proven. A transmission is a transmission and a rear end is a rear end. Just use the right stuff. And boost is boost. I can put a big enough blower on to pop the heads off. Hell, on e85 I can probably make 1300hp with the 3.4L I have on it now. It would be easier with a bigger blower though. I'll see what the 3.4L will do first.

Keeping things from overheating is the problem with most race cars. And we know I've been down that road. I'll be able to keep it cool.:hi:

go302

Tits McGee
Reaction score
If I were going for max horsepower I'd use a turbo. Way less parasitic loss and less strain on the nose of the crank. My 0.02. Hell, if you planned on using e85 or better you could save weight and just run from compressor to throttle body.

Edit, nvm forgot you wanted it to be streetable. I'd keep the intercooler lmao

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You may be right. This is the car I was thinking of:http://www.dragzine.com/news/team-mmr-resets-modular-powered-world-records-at-6-04-and-246-mph/
It's not a 3v.

I'm surprised by that number though. Surely ONE VALVE on the heads don't make two seconds difference though.

Six flats at 250mph (that car) is a whole lot different than 6.90's at 200mph (the fast Drag Week cars) and is a whole lot different than eight flats at 170mph (what I'm looking for).

When you are playing in that arena valve count and in a lot of cases displacement doesn't matter. It's all about boost and keeping the motor together. That motor has a solid block, dry decked heads and runs something like 50-60psi.

The 3v heads flow pretty damn good. No, not as much as a Coyote, but only about 10% less. And if you compare the 3v heads to 2v pushrod stuff you will find that they flow like big block stuff.

Top Fuel cars are only 500cu in and make 9000hp with two valves.

If I were going for max horsepower I'd use a turbo. Way less parasitic loss and less strain on the nose of the crank. My 0.02. Hell, if you planned on using e85 or better you could save weight and just run from compressor to throttle body.

Edit, nvm forgot you wanted it to be streetable. I'd keep the intercooler lmao

If I was starting from scratch I would consider it. But I'm already set up for the big Whipple's with a custom intake (that I sell), I'm a Whipple dealer and it will do what I need it to do.

Plus I won't have to deal with all the packaging of turbo's or that whole turbo staging thing.

There will be turbo's in my future in some sort of application. Not sure what yet though. I like a lot of things about them, just not for this job/at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Six flats at 250mph (that car) is a whole lot different than 6.90's at 200mph (the fast Drag Week cars) and is a whole lot different than eight flats at 170mph (what I'm looking for).

When you are playing in that arena valve count and in a lot of cases displacement doesn't matter. It's all about boost and keeping the motor together. That motor has a solid block, dry decked heads and runs something like 50-60psi.

The 3v heads flow pretty damn good. No, not as much as a Coyote, but only about 10% less. And if you compare the 3v heads to 2v pushrod stuff you will find that they flow like big block stuff.

Top Fuel cars are only 500cu in and make 9000hp with two valves.

That's kind of my point. If you REALLY want to set a world record you may have to give up street ability.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
That's kind of my point. If you REALLY want to set a world record you may have to give up street ability.

I made a 800-1000hp (depending on fuel) streetable and able to pull off 20min session on the roadrace track. I'm pretty sure I can do this. I'm at least going to try.

People used to tell me you can't make Ducati's fast. I did. Then they told me you can't win nationals against GSXR1000's and R1's. I did.:clap:

If it were easy everyone would do it.:thumb:

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you can do it because you will be running E85. Thats a game changer right there, especially when talking about heat.

Maybe with a taller tire and 3.55s you wouldn't need overdrive? I know with a 29.5 tire with a 4.10 rear gear I am hitting 7600 rpm at 159 mph--actually the calculator says 7425 rpm but assuming the extra rpm is just converter slip.

So a 29.5 tire with 3.55s? would put you around 6874 rpm at 170 mph--Probably closer to 7100-7200 rpm with converter slip. That combo would also put you around 2830 rpm + converter slip at 70 mph.

So basically I am thinking you could do it without an overdrive as long as you think you will be able to spin the motor/blower to 7200+ rpm. Then of course you have to consider the blower rpm based off of that and what pulley you are running.....

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I just find it hard to believe that you'll be the fastest 3v in the world when someone could do exactly what you're going to do minus all the stuff you're going to make it street able. It only takes one person to do that.

I'm not saying you can't make one of the fastest cars out there. Throw enough money at it and yea, you'll get there. But to be the absolute best in the world at something requires more than just deep pockets.

But don't let me stop you from trying hahahaha. If anyone were going to do something like that, it would be you.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
If they fit in a GT500 without modding the firewall (they do) than they will fit on the 3v with an R-Spec. The blower sits slightly further forward on the 3v.

And I'm not even sure those are considered firewalls. They aren't even there on the cobra Jet.

And I may just go crazy, mount a TB right to the backside of the blower case and get my intake air from the back side opening on a cowl hood.:boobies:

Elbows, we don't need no stinkin elbows!:roflmao:

Then I can call you a DICK cause I already shelled out the dough for a 3.4 lol. Anyone want a DOB 3.4L with crusher inlet??? I will order a 4.0 then... and only cause I want 4.0 to replace my damn GT badges. A waste tho as I know the 3.4 will make all the power i want and some I don't need

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I think you can do it because you will be running E85. Thats a game changer right there, especially when talking about heat.

Maybe with a taller tire and 3.55s you wouldn't need overdrive? I know with a 29.5 tire with a 4.10 rear gear I am hitting 7600 rpm at 159 mph--actually the calculator says 7425 rpm but assuming the extra rpm is just converter slip.

So a 29.5 tire with 3.55s? would put you around 6874 rpm at 170 mph--Probably closer to 7100-7200 rpm with converter slip. That combo would also put you around 2830 rpm + converter slip at 70 mph.

So basically I am thinking you could do it without an overdrive as long as you think you will be able to spin the motor/blower to 7200+ rpm. Then of course you have to consider the blower rpm based off of that and what pulley you are running.....

Are you running a T400? Am I assuming correctly that 3rd is 1:1?

What sort of power are you making? How about TQ? Do you think I could get away with 3.31's or 3.08's (not sure if those are 9" ratios) and still get it to 60'?

I can spin the motor that fast no problem. And the blower.

Thanks!

I just find it hard to believe that you'll be the fastest 3v in the world when someone could do exactly what you're going to do minus all the stuff you're going to make it street able. It only takes one person to do that.

I'm not saying you can't make one of the fastest cars out there. Throw enough money at it and yea, you'll get there. But to be the absolute best in the world at something requires more than just deep pockets.

Apparently you don't know me very well then yet.:thumb:

Then I can call you a DICK cause I already shelled out the dough for a 3.4 lol. Anyone want a DOB 3.4L with crusher inlet??? I will order a 4.0 then... and only cause I want 4.0 to replace my damn GT badges. A waste tho as I know the 3.4 will make all the power i want and some I don't need

Why am I dick (I am, there is no doubt)?:roflmao:

I never told you a 4.0L wouldn't fit in front of the firewall. I told you as you get into the 4.0L and 4.5L that the elbow gets smaller to CLEAR the firewall and going with a smaller elbow is going backward. And that you don't need a blower that big. Unless of course the new direction of my project gets us in an arms race.:clap:

I'm still going to try this with the 3.4L first. It should be good for 1200-1300 on e85 right off the bat. That right there should be good for 8.1xxx's at 3400#.

psfracer, what does your car weigh?

And think, I get to run one of those cool drag race wings that stick off the deck lid and a chute now!!!!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The quickest/fastest 3V that I know of right now is GT RO: 8.40 @ 166

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5218

My car weighs 3420 with me in it. HP it makes on the sauce is somewhere between 1150-1200. With a 29.5 tire, 4.10, and a 1.80 first gear it 60' fine at 1.272, all though I was hoping for sub 1.25.

IF you have an honest 1400, #3400lbs, modest gearing will be fine. Especially when you consider your power adder is a twin screw type blower like a Whipple.

As far as the inlet, Mark with the Blue GT500 from New Mexico runs the inlet to his Kenne Bell straight to the back of the cowl. No elbow at all. Here is the car, and I believe he broke into the 8.0s, 8.10s for sure:

MarkGT500.jpg~original

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
IF you have an honest 1400, #3400lbs, modest gearing will be fine.
What do you consider modest?

As far as the inlet, Mark with the Blue GT500 from New Mexico runs the inlet to his Kenne Bell straight to the back of the cowl. No elbow at all. Here is the car, and I believe he broke into the 8.0s, 8.10s for sure:

MarkGT500.jpg~original

Yeah, that's where I got the idea of doing the rear inlet at. Cool setup. Last time I knew that car had only a 2.8L KB and was on methanol. He got it into the 7's I think.

I'm thinking the $64,000 question is going to be should I run a 3 speed with a OD or a 3 speed with a Gear Vendors unit on it. I don't think I'm going to be able to get the gearing to do what I want it to do (killer 60ft's as well as 80mph on the freeway) without an OD.

Sure seems to be a lot of those Drag Week guys running the gear vendors opposed to 3 speed/OD transmissions. This is going to take some thought.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hit the lottery or something? Sheeeet mofos making it rain with all this talk.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score

Apparently you don't know me very well then yet.:thumb:

Dub is an expert on everything. He has an engineering degree, don'cha know. :roflmao:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Well,, DUB pm me if you want a good deal on my 3.4L Whipple with the DOB drive and some goodies.. I may just buy a 4.0L just cause my penis is so small.

I may have a local buyer for your setup if you are close to doing a r-spec. I hook you up! We may both beat Gmitch to that 8.xx lol

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Well,, DUB pm me if you want a good deal on my 3.4L Whipple with the DOB drive and some goodies.. I may just buy a 4.0L just cause my penis is so small.

I may have a local buyer for your setup if you are close to doing a r-spec. I hook you up! We may both beat Gmitch to that 8.xx lol

Oh GOD DON'T TEMPT ME WITH THESE THINGS!!

Haha I'll shoot you a text.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Damn, ya'll are crushing my dreams of 8.50s at 1100 rwhp... Shit! :omfg:

Yeah, I just checked what your goals were and decided to step it up a few tenths. Just to be a dick.:roflmao: j/k

And my car won't be nice like yours. Trick, but not show car nice. It will be pretty gutted and "race car".

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back