SCT X4 tuner?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I got 275/40 18s, they are almost same height as stock. Just a tic smaller.

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll save the money for the tuner possibly towards long tubes. Wish I had access to a lift instead of grass/dirt I'd more than likely been had long tubes.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
LT install is not fun on these. lol
Not sure still if the install was worth it for power. Sure sounds sweet though.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I want to re-dyno, but dont want to be disappointed lmao

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
Better to spend the money for an tuner towards and upgraded/better clutch? Far as I know still factory clutch little less than 49k. Heard factory clutch is main issues with high rpm lockout and other issues.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I never ran the mt82 or a stock clutch. So I cannot comment.
The lockout I believe is clutch related, when the clutch does not fully disengage when shifting.
That said, if you are having high rpm lockout, avoid the high rpm shifts. It will eventually cause trans damage. Worn syncros is best case, broke shift fork is worst case. Buddy had two trans rebuilt in his 13 Boss - track used.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Never said I'd use the pre-installed tunes just wondering about the tuner since I've never had or used one.
If you're not going to install a tune then why buy the SCTx4? It's $400. If you want to read and clear codes there are lots of cheaper options. The only reason to buy a SCTx4 is to install a tune. All the other functions are just a bonus, but not worth the price alone.

The tuner plus a good tune is where you get something worthwhile.

crjackson

Reaction score
If you want the car tuned on a Dyno, I also recommend Pro-Dyno in Fort Mill, SC.

They built my engine, new upgraded cooling system, installed complete SC system, full exhaust, Dyno-tune.

Dan DeSio is very experienced, and you won’t be disappointed.

If you’re not going to tune the car, I wouldn’t spend the money.

Just my worthless 2¢

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
There is almost no power gains from tuning a stock coyote.
Ford did an excellent job with this platform.
Full throttle is closed loop, so the AFR is what is programmed. No tweaking required.

The only reason I needed the PRP software is because mine is a swap. Some things must be turned off and/or adjusted. None of that is power or emissions related.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Find a tuner and ask them what device to use. A lot of tuners no longer support SCT. The EPA is cracking down on them.

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I’ll say this, my experience with the SCT is based on my 2010 4.6 3v. Maybe it’s different with coyotes. I did notice an incremental gain in performance with the canned 93 tune. (I also did add an Airaid intake at the time). It wasn’t huge, but noticeable.

A lot of people like to shit talk these type of mods because they don’t offer big leaps in performance like headers or cams. But as stated elsewhere, the benefit of getting the tuner is getting custom tunes down road. And I will say the custom tune did make a big difference. I’m sure even a stockish car could benefit from it. In the end it’s your cold hard cash and you should research as much as you can before buying anything. Good luck!

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any tuners near me I live in small town about 50 miles or so from Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I’ll say this, my experience with the SCT is based on my 2010 4.6 3v. Maybe it’s different with coyotes. I did notice an incremental gain in performance with the canned 93 tune. (I also did add an Airaid intake at the time). It wasn’t huge, but noticeable.

A lot of people like to shit talk these type of mods because they don’t offer big leaps in performance like headers or cams. But as stated elsewhere, the benefit of getting the tuner is getting custom tunes down road. And I will say the custom tune did make a big difference. I’m sure even a stockish car could benefit from it. In the end it’s your cold hard cash and you should research as much as you can before buying anything. Good luck!
The reason why there is more to be gained on the 3v, is WOT is OPEN loop fueling. And Ford calibrates the pcm safe, aka rich AFR. Optimizing WOT afr with a wideband is where the gains come from.
Coyote is closed loop, programmed to command .83 lamda, and it will deliver that AFR under WOT. .83 equals roughly 12to1 afr. Pretty much optimal for power and emissions.

Reaction score
Tuners do more than just load a tune. If you own a Mustang you need one unless you just aren't a competitive person then no.

Clark

Reaction score
I just got my '07 4.6L with 5 speed AT two months ago. I didn't have much information from the dealer about previous mods (if any). I purchased the SCT x4 tuner, requested a 91 performance tune and noticed crisper response along with sharper and consistent AT shifts. Even a little bit better MPG. I plan to get a CAI before the year is out and will request a new tune before installing. This is all new to me. My other Mustang is a '67 coupe. All I do there is get out the timing light, vacuum gauge, and adjust the carb and I'm a happy guy. I appreciate all the conversation here guys thanks for helping out a rookie.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A CAI won't improve air flow over the stock air filter until you get over about 500hp or so. And most CAI kits are more like a hot air intake, as they suck more hot air from under the hood than the stock setup. So if you want to buy one for looks while showing off at the weekend car shows, fine. Otherwise save your money for performance mods that actually improve performance.

And before anyone starts in with the 'proven results' claims on the advertising, keep in mind that the gains are from the accompanying tune and not the CAI. If you already have the tune then the CAI will do nothing.

Reaction score
CAI and tune in my opinion are one of the best things you can do for starts in my humble opinion. 4.10 gears are good too but you will need the tuner to reset if you are on stock tires.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back