several dash lights just came on

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
its raining here and while going around a slow 90 degree curve at an intersection the car damn near swapped ends. i was out of the gas and it just started coming around so i basically drifted the corner while the wife screamed. a few seconds later the check engine light popped on then a few seconds after that the traction control light came on and the button on the dash said off then the ABS light came on.

any suggestions? i thought maybe the alternator was going bad and stuff was shutting down so i turned the radio, heater and lights off and headed back home.

i just pulled the code and came back with P0340 camshaft position cmp A ckt (B1 or single sensor)

does that make sense to anyone to get that and have the dash light come on?

if that is right how do i fix that hell i dont even know what it means.

ok the search feature worked for me for once. i found another thread and the guy had about the same thing happen and the same code and people said alternator.

would you all start by getting an alternator and go from there?

Last edited:

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Most the time that camshaft position code is the alternator. That's what mine threw. As soon as I replaced the alt. it was all good. I went with a PA performance from American muscle. Might just check and make sure all the battery and alt connections are solid.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
its raining here and while going around a slow 90 degree curve at an intersection the car damn near swapped ends. i was out of the gas and it just started coming around so i basically drifted the corner while the wife screamed. a few seconds later the check engine light popped on then a few seconds after that the traction control light came on and the button on the dash said off then the ABS light came on.

any suggestions? i thought maybe the alternator was going bad and stuff was shutting down so i turned the radio, heater and lights off and headed back home.

i just pulled the code and came back with P0340 camshaft position cmp A ckt (B1 or single sensor)

does that make sense to anyone to get that and have the dash light come on?

if that is right how do i fix that hell i dont even know what it means.

ok the search feature worked for me for once. i found another thread and the guy had about the same thing happen and the same code and people said alternator.

would you all start by getting an alternator and go from there?

You can datalog volts. Mine were under 12 when the abs light, traction light, and some others came on. I bought a new battery and alternator. Battery first but then realized the alternator wasn't charging. That was a $300 day, lol.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
so i can data log the volts with my SCT tuner? if so thats pretty cool, im used to old muscle cars with no electronics.

i just called oreillys autoparts and a reman alt is $179 and they couldnt even get me the price on a new one. they said it was a special order item.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I bought mine at oreillys too. Lifetime warranty and rebuilt. I'm not sure if you can log it with the tuner, probably can. I use livelink to datalog. It's a free program from sct. Download it on a laptop and connect the tuner to the car and laptop.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i shopped around and went ahead and ordered the one from oreillys. i've seen some on here have had some bad luck going through alternators so having the lifetime warrenty may pay off. it wont be here till tuesday though. thanks for the input guys.

Most the time that camshaft position code is the alternator. That's what mine threw. As soon as I replaced the alt. it was all good. I went with a PA performance from American muscle. Might just check and make sure all the battery and alt connections are solid.

its pouring rain right now and i cant get in the garage cause of the impala being in there longways getting ready for paint or i'd check the connections so i said screw it i'll just get one.

does the throttle body have to come off to swap out the alt? since it wont be in till tuesday i'm gonna take it off tomorrow and let it sit over night.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You may also have water intrusion in the SJB (located in the passenger side footwell kick panel). Check the drain grommets in the air intake at the base of the windshield. You don't have to remove the wipers and panel, you can actually reach the grommets in the firewall behind the motor. There's one on each side in the firewall approximately behind the end of the cylinder heads. If they are packed with leaves and junk then you can just leave them out rather than replacing them and letting them get packed up again.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
x2 on sjb..... Very easy for it to get wet if you have the leak. I went through 2 alt's before I got a good one. Mine came from Advance.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the throttle body needs to come off. It's vary easy to change the alt. changed mine in about 20 minutes taking my time.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
You may also have water intrusion in the SJB (located in the passenger side footwell kick panel). Check the drain grommets in the air intake at the base of the windshield. You don't have to remove the wipers and panel, you can actually reach the grommets in the firewall behind the motor. There's one on each side in the firewall approximately behind the end of the cylinder heads. If they are packed with leaves and junk then you can just leave them out rather than replacing them and letting them get packed up again.

learn something new everyday. im gonna go out and check that in abit. would the passenger floor board be alittle damp?

when some of your alternators started going out did your volt gauge drop or move? cause my needle was still where it usually was. im used to real gauges with numbers.

Yes the throttle body needs to come off. It's vary easy to change the alt. changed mine in about 20 minutes taking my time.

good sounds like it wont be that bad of a job then.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
A wet SJB wouldn't through a p0340. But if it only did it once, I'd clear the codes, drive it around and see what it does. But you likely do have an alternator going out.
And fwiw, the diagnostics in these cars is pretty cool...from a no-electronics old-school guy, too.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
well changing the alt out worked. when i first bought this car my and a friend were looking at it and i said look where that alternator is at, i'd hate to have to change that. it was so easy to change that i never woulda thought it. the worse part was taking the battery cover and plenum cover off.

as soon as i started the car the check engine light went off but the ABS and T.C. lights stayed on but once i drove it about 1/4 mile they went off to.

thanks to those who gave me there input.

David

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
Speed: I'm glad you got your issue resolved.

I want to bump an old thread for a related question rather than start a new one.

Driving into work today, the radio and all elec acc turned off, the abs and tc lights came one.

I checked voltage when I got to work with it running, and it was 8. Also no codes came up.

I think its safe to assume the alternator is bad but just wanted input before I wasted any money.

Thanks.

Back